What would you recomnend for a new reader?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by lordnova, May 18, 2017.

1. lordnova

lordnova Level 10 (Filcher) Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

90%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Mountain States
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So if you wanted to introduce someone to this genre, what is the first book you would recommend they read, and why?

Bonus points to those that dont say Ready Player One. (Which is one of my favorite books btw.)

LWFlouisa and Phalco1021 like this.
  2. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I read Catharsis by Travis Bagwell a few weeks ago and loved it so much I immediately started searching for more LitRPG books, which is how I found out about Paul and his ideas about introducing more people to the genre.

Of course one of my all-time favourite books (and authors) is Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, which I think is best described as a precursor to the LitRPG genre. However, it's sci-fi, specifically cyberpunk, not fantasy.

3. Jason

Jason Troll Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'll second "Catharsis". Very well written.. plot is great and characters are likeable and fleshed out. I'm anxiously waiting for the 3rd book.

Give Paul's Tower Gate books a shot.. the first 10 chapters are a bit... noobish, but bear with it and it really picks up and becomes fun. By the end of the book he really caught his stride. I hope it carries over into the sequel. (Unpaid promotion :p:cool:) I really like how he isn't forcing his books down anyone's throat on his own forum!

Chaos Seeds by Aleron Kong were my first trip into Litrpg. They were a fun read and he has a couple out if you're down for sequels.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  4. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @Readsalot Snowcrash was one of my fav's growing up. It hooks the imagination and stays with you forevermore. I had a friend who drew a comic based on Snowcrash! Which, annoyingly, I can't seem to find any trace of online. Oy!

Readsalot, Paul Bellow and lordnova like this.
  5. Delilah

Delilah Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really liked Vasilyev's "Fayroll". There are only two books in english so far, but they are going to translate more. I was worrying about unreadable translation, but it was pro.

It is easy to read and definitely better than "Alterworld" (if you read this one). A good book in a LitRPG world that focuses more on the story and less on the levelling.
    I liked it because of a good dose of humor and intelegent MC.

I enjoyed every minute of this book, from beginning to end. The character was well developed, both in the game world an in real life. And it is easy to understand for newcomer in LitRPG world. ;)

VRRanger, Lily, Seagrim and 2 others like this.
  6. Tfish10065

Tfish10065 Level 9 (Burgler) LitRPG Author Citizen

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree, Travis Bagwell is a good writer. Also, check out his AMA on Reddit and the podcast reviews. Insightful.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  7. Tfish10065

Tfish10065 Level 9 (Burgler) LitRPG Author Citizen

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Here’s my list of reads in LitRPG if you’re just starting out.

· Eden's Gate: The Sparrow: A LitRPG Adventure;

· Eden's Gate: The Reborn: A LitRPG Adventure;

· Awaken Online: Catharsis;

· The Crystal Crusade: A LitRPG Adventure;

· Goblin: a LitRPG Novel (Tower of Gates LitRPG Series Book 1);

· Viridian Gate Online: Cataclysm: A litRPG Adventure (The Viridian Gate Archives Book 1);

· Awaken Online: Precipice;

· BladeDust Online: A LitRPG Adventure (Book 1)

LWFlouisa, H Hills, Lily and 2 others like this.
  8. Lily

Lily Level 2 (Initiate) Citizen

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My list of reads is short, I have only read Eden's Gate, it's quite good, may be I will reread this with time.

Also Goblin, good one. Now I am looking for something like that.

9. Lily

Lily Level 2 (Initiate) Citizen

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    and now I am finishing my reading of "Fayroll", liked this too. Easy, humorous, very well-written (as I can judge on the translation), nice atmosphere of Russia with its unusual for us features. Could u recommend something like that? I mean LitRPG devoted to other countries and cultures, especially Slavic

10. Stevie Collier

Stevie Collier Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would recommend Alterworld by D. Rus. This book gets a lot of hate but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

AzOrdog and Paul Bellow like this.
  11. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's healthy to have a love-hate relationship with some authors/books, I think.

RauthrMystic likes this.
  12. YT Lee

YT Lee Level 4 (Warrior) Beta Reader Citizen

90%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Does anyone have any science fiction LitRPG recommendations? I'm specifically looking for ones with space sim MMOs, like Elite or Star Citizen. Thanks!

LWFlouisa and Paul Bellow like this.
  13. Kath_Os

Kath_Os Level 2 (Initiate) Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Personally I can recommend Vasilyev's "Fayroll" for a new reader, because I think that this book will introduce a LitRPG world for newcomer to this genre the best way.
    This fantasy novel has captured my imagination, because it has an intriguing plot and interesting manner of writing: the author represents both heroic-fantasy world, shown on the style of RPG, and real world, maintaining the balance between them. Moreover, there are interesting and bright main characters in this story.
    So, I am sure new reader of RPG literature will really enjoy this novel because this book is a brilliant synergy of fantasy fiction and online gaming. And "Fayroll" will become the start-point of his adventure of LitRPG world.

14. Latetide

Latetide Halfway to Infinity LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Phantom Server series from Andrei Livadny is more about people living is space and doing stuff on space stations, than flying around in spaceships, but it is a good series nonetheless.
    If, however, ships and space battles are your thing, then my recommendation would be the Perimeter Defense series from Michael Atamanov.

grimshawl, Jason and Paul Bellow like this.
  15. Adam Elliott

Adam Elliott Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Way of the Shaman.

I don't know why. But there is just something about that book that scratches the LitRPG book that comparatively much better books do not. I think it is actually a pretty decent measure to help someone test how crunchy they like their litrpg.

16. Latetide

Latetide Halfway to Infinity LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's a great series, but hardly a science fiction one :)

Edit: Sorry, I just realised that this was more an answer for the original topic than the one inline about sci-fi litrpg book. Apologies.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Phalco1021 and Paul Bellow like this.
  17. Matthew Sylvester

Matthew Sylvester Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @Paul Bellow said I should post my books here, so here goes :)

upload_2017-6-30_7-50-4.png

It's 2100, in a VR game called World Domination, a game designed to eliminate civilian, technological, fiscal and environmental loss but to still cater for the warlike nature of humans, all of the troops are hard-wired into their harnesses.

The rules were simple, survive 100 battles and you're free. Die 50 times and you'll receive a lethal dose of poison administered by the game, as war must always have consequences. Take on a Special Mission and and you'll gain 1 extra life, mission credits and valuable power-ups and special weapons. But now, on the brink of defeat, European High Command has decreed that soldiers who hit 49 deaths are to be kept permanently in the game. The 49ers is a regiment of Last Chancers, doing whatever it takes to stay alive.

UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Desperate-Times-49ers-LitRPG-Novel-ebook/dp/B01MYUP5YM
    US - https://www.amazon.com/Desperate-Times-49ers-LitRPG-Novel-ebook/dp/B01MYUP5YM

LitRPG_chick likes this.
  18. Matthew Sylvester

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    upload_2017-6-30_7-52-18.png

It's 2100, France has been devastated by nuclear explosions, and ChinKor Republic troops are searching for those responsible. Trapped in France, the 49ers must team up with Russian special forces, the feared Spetsnaz, to escape the devastation. Together they will wreak havoc as they blast their way through the enemy forces.

Trapped in an MMO where losing 50 lives means permadeath, war is anything but a game.

UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spetsnaz-Permadeath-LitRPG-Matthew-Sylvester-ebook/dp/B01MSV2HO7/
    US - https://www.amazon.com/Spetsnaz-Permadeath-LitRPG-Matthew-Sylvester-ebook/dp/B01MSV2HO7/

LitRPG_chick likes this.
  19. Matthew Sylvester

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    upload_2017-6-30_7-53-57.png

Devon's Demons have escaped from France into Spain. Expecting to go home, they are instead thrust into a new war against a new enemy, the North African Coalition. Forced into the Spanish Foreign Legion, Devon and her people find themselves up against an elite unit with orders to wipe them out.

Trapped in an MMORPG that has replaced “real” war, Devon and her people are forced to fight, time and time again. Lose 50 lives, and they die, permanently, killed as they float in their immersion capsules.

UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devons-Demons-Permadeath-LitRPG-LitFPS-ebook/dp/B01N7VB32S/
    US - https://www.amazon.com/Devons-Demons-Permadeath-LitRPG-LitFPS-ebook/dp/B01N7VB32S/

20. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    RauthrMystic likes this.