What's Your Policy on Returning Books

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books' started by Brian Foster, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Brian Foster

Brian Foster Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

92%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Even if I buy a book and end up hating it with a purple passion, I don't usually return it, but, today, for only the second time since first buying a Kindle, I returned one.

Normally, this doesn't happen to me because I always, always, always check the Look Inside before I buy, so I can make sure that the author didn't step on any of my pet peeves. This current situation, though, was just like the last one - I'd read the first book in a series and, having enjoyed it, clicked to purchase the second one without giving it much of a thought. Then, I opened the file and saw that one of my pet peeves, one that hadn't been used in the first book, on full display.

(Note: I'm not elaborating on the pet peeve because it's just one of my little eccentricities and, in my mind, unimportant to the thread. Didn't want to derail the discussion on returning by listing out pet peeves.)

What about you? In what situation do you decide to actually return a book that you purchased?

2. nightwriter

nightwriter Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen

74%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I dont think I have returned kindle book in 12 years, I usually know what I buy or dont hate enough. I have returned couple of audio books though, it takes some time to recognize that the narration doesnt work for me and then I sometimes do return them. I don't like to do that but I dont like to waste money and time either.

3. WaywardDreaming

WaywardDreaming Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen Aspiring Writer

78%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I actually didn't even realize you could return kindle books. I've exchanged a fair amount of audiobooks, though...at least by comparison to you two? I can think of three instances off the top of my head, and I think they're all from this year.

One was a narrator issue, one was a book I was only vaguely interested in but bought because I was in danger of losing the credit...and then realized a favorite author was releasing a new book the next week. So that was a quick exchange, really. The final instance I'd gotten about 50% into the book and the plot took a turn that had me noping so hard I didn't even want the book in my library anymore.

But I will say this is a rather new thing for me. I mean, I've had that account for...five? six? years and this is the first year I've returned anything. Though, TBH, I think it's kind of nice. When I bought physical books I used to resell a lot of them, so it's kind of a return to that.

4. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've never returned anything, ever...

I once hated a book so much I didn't want it in my library so I went to my account and I think I just deleted my purchase.

5. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yep. Been there.

6. David M Zahn

David M Zahn Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't return books or exchange them on audible because I'm pretty sure that impacts the author and unless the author is George R.R. Martin they're probably going to feel it. Even If I read and hated a book I still feel like I got what I paid for, I still read the book. It's not the author's fault I didn't like it. I just probably won't buy their next book. Also as an aspiring author I'd feel like a hypocrite if I did it and then complained about it when it happened to me (in the future).

7. Katastrophe

Katastrophe Level 9 (Burgler) LitRPG Author Fantasy Author Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I haven't.

Generally I figure it's my problem if I buy a book I dislike, so why put that on the author? Also I rarely get to books I buy until months after I buy them because I'm insanely busy and my eyes are bigger than my...stomach. Wait, no, that phrase doesn't work here. My estimation of how fast I'll get through the books I'm reading is always grossly wrong, at any rate.

This isn't to say I'd never return a book, though. If I fell asleep at the computer while looking at Amazon and somehow ended up pressing the right keys that made me purchase a book I didn't actually want, I'd probably return it.

But if I actually set out to buy a book, no, I don't return it.

8. Bigmohunter

Bigmohunter Level 4 (Warrior) Citizen

90%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Hoth
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Never had a return. I do have a few books I have deleted from the account. I have more books than I would like to admit but it takes a lot for me to not finish a book. I have also stopped reading authors and series due to the author or a major series changes. (I say author because there is a few people who have made statements and the like that have drove me away) Hell i have a ton of Physical books as well a digital.

9. Jun

Jun Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Citizen

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I listen to most of my stuff from Audible.

Here's my return policy:

#1 - It's been sitting in my library for 10 months and I still haven't listened to it. Why did I even buy this thing? The 12 month return window is approaching.
    #2 - The writing is bad, like... really bad. So bad that I want to stop listening and never start again. Generally speaking anything DNF gets returned. Audiobooks are more expensive than ebooks.
    #3 - Technical issues... Every so often I get a book with playback issues. These get returned if they can't be fixed.
    #4 - The narrator is so bad that I don't want to spend more than an hour or two listening to them. This is the same as the DNF category, but for different reasons.

10. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've only returned a handful of books, and each time it was because it would not load on my Kindle for PC. If the file is so messed up it won't load, then I immediately return.

11. plague

plague Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen

20%
    xp:
    Zone:
    the forest
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I bought 'The Sundering' (Warhammer) and returned it 3 days later, because it was the worst book I ever tried to read. Chapters took it back and gave me store credit.