Which TV shows are you watching?

Discussion in 'TV and Movies' started by Readsalot, Oct 16, 2017.

1. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    watched the orville thought it was preatty good and trekian although its a shame they couldent use klingons or any other startreck IP it feels wierd without that although im not 100% sure if it would be better with.

2. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    watched inital D for the first time started for the memes but now im loving it. since that got me on an anime kick i watched made from abyss and can understand why people love it so much.

not sure if were counting anime as TV here?

Readsalot likes this.
  3. FrustratedEgo

FrustratedEgo Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    On season 11 of NCIS cus I have binge problems.

4. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    enjoying gifted and runaways

5. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sure, if you just want to talk about what you are watching on TV, anime is as welcome here as anything else. If you want to talk about anime specifically and in detail, though, I think you'd find a better audience in the section specifically dedicated to anime and manga ;).

I loved Initial D, even though I have difficulty watching anime that old. The art style just doesn't do it for me with the older anime series. But Initial D was so good I just couldn't stop watching. Did you watch all the stages? I think I only managed the first stage.

BTW, if you liked Initial D you might want to check out Wangan Midnight. https://myanimelist.net/anime/2608/Wangan_Midnight

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Finally caved in and watched black mirror.

I watched part of the pilot a million years back and it turned me off the series. Anyway it was a slow week and one of my friends couldn't stop talking about the latest season.

So the pilot still turns me off and I found some of the episodes very disturbing... but I totally get why this series has such a fanbase.

For that one person that hasn't watched this show yet (previously me!) :-

Black mirror is a satire of the current world wide problems taken to an extreme. Each episode has a different setting, storyline and actors but they all revolve around one basic idea. Public perception, That $10 latte you just bought might taste so bad it's undrinkable but hey, the foam art is super cute and people will like it on Instagram!

Technology plays a key role in every episode as the title black mirror actually means any computer screen (phone, tv. laptop...etc) however the tech's role is secondary and is used more as an intermediary. Insta didn't ask you to buy that latte just to post a photo then throw it out, you did that hoping to get a few likes and thus approval.

The story is always about the people involved and how they spiral or how society judges them. Humanity at it's worst.

Nosedive is my favorite as I do know a few people like that in RL

[​IMG]

The most creative I'd have to say is White Christmas where you have three story lines interwoven together

Most game like is playtest (negative) and San Junipero (positive).

Most disturbing... the pilot episode, I would recommend skipping that. On a personal level though I found the episode the history of you haunting.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  7. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I didn’t see it that way. I saw it more as an anthology of unrelated stories about how the advance of technology affects our humanity and how we interact with others (or don’t, as the case may be).

8. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Actually they are related. I rewatched my fav. episode (nosedive) and on the second viewing noticed that on the social media page she was viewing they were talking about the politician in episode one, to the side of the image so it wouldn't take away from the main story. One youtube video (the one that finally got me to watch the series) was talking about how you can see how previous stories in the show progressed through easter eggs in later episodes meaning this all happens in the same universe just to different people.

To be honest I'm not sure technology lessens our humanity, there were mobs that were railed on to do horrible things way before electricity let alone technology more advanced then a cart. And yet it was ok, it's not a revolt it's a revolution. That totally makes it ok to kill the upper class and their children in the most gruesome and public way possible. Witch trials are A ok because that smelly old woman living alone is ugly and not popular, she's probably bad. It's all about how things are precised not what's really happening or the person involved.

Anyway that was my take on it. Every episode takes the word spectacle to the highest level (white bear I found personified that word in a very disturbing way). A guy threatens to kill himself? That's awesome! lets market that as rebellion, then people can buy pieces of that act of rebellion instead of actually doing something about the status quo.

No offence to rock and punk music fans but that's the same message, why do something about the "system" or go against "the man" when you can buy the band t-shirt and show the world your rebellion... before going back to your 9-5.

9. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The stories themselves aren’t related to each other. Hell, every single Pixar movie takes place in the same universe, but I don’t think you can really say that Monsters Inc. has much relation to Wall-E.

Think about the episode where there’s the dead person who gets brought back to life via an AI app. Or the one where they live in boxes and watch ads before getting on exercise bikes to generate power. Or the one where they cheat on each other and find out via neural recorders.

Each and every Black Mirror episode has some aspect where the characters have lost something of what it means to be human, thanks in large part to technological advances. Not all of them have an aspect of public perception; I’d argue that very very few have anything like that.

10. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd say every single one has the theme "how things appear" attached to it.

The one where they live in a box? well they work hard and all they have to show for it is how their avatar is dressed. even when the MC does something outlandish it's marketed as an avatar accessory.

They live in a box, they have nothing but hey their avatar is cool!

Nosedive where people rate each other is a prime example.

The one where they cheat on either. is that the history of you? where their lives are recorded and they review it a million times to find fault? again perception. She had an affair with the guy years back but her husband is jealous because the recording means it can be replayed now. he chose to destroy his life over a memory in another guy's head.

11. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Which shows are you most looking forward to this year?

After finishing Altered Carbon there are not many shows currently on that I'm really excited about. I still watch SHIELD, Supernatural, Lucifer and a couple of others plus some anime, but nothing is blowing me away.

So, which shows of 2018 are you the most excited about?

The first one I'm looking forward to is Jessica Jones (Mar 8). I was a big fan of the first season so I'm looking forward to the second season. And, of course, Westworld starts 22 April and if it's anything as good as the first season it's going to be fricking fantastic.

Krypton starts Mar 21 and should be worth taking a look, though I'm not holding my breath. Same with Cloak and Dagger (June 7). Castle Rock might be interesting and I'm holding thumbs for DC's Titans. Can't say the descriptions for Marvel's New Warriors or Lost in Space are wowing me, though I will check them out of course.

I wasn't a big fan of Legion so I don't know if I'll bother with the second season. Not saying it's bad, just wasn't my cup of tea.

I've probably missed a few, but these are the ones I've marked as Worth Taking A Look.

12. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Is Altered Carbon worth the watch?

13. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I freaking loved it. It helps if you're a sci-fi fan. Lots of violence and nudity, so not for the faint-hearted. Imagine if the people who made The Crow made Blade Runner.

14. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ok, just watched the trailer.

If I'm understand this it's the ghost in the shell, in blade runners setting with a murder mystery thrown in to keep things going?

15. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    More or less: Less AI and more ex-freedom fighter.

16. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nice, just saw they announced the premiere date for the new season of Bosch. "Season four of the Emmy-nominated series will premiere exclusively on Amazon Prime Video on Friday, April 13." Another one to add to my list.

17. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  18. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    IIRC he prefers a Kimber Custom TLE II Semi-Auto Pistol ;)

19. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The *BEST* AI...

FTFY ;)

Readsalot likes this.
  20. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%