Which TV shows are you watching?

Discussion in 'TV and Movies' started by Readsalot, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I do. You don't? They're hilarious! Brilliant writing, fantastic characters and great directing ensure that even when they are dealing with serious subjects there are moments of sheer joy and fun.

2. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, but they’re still not what I’d call lighthearted. That’s just good writing. A lighthearted show would be something like Brooklyn Nine Nine or The Good Place. Or even a drama like Leverage or White Collar.

The Newsroom is a satire, and Justified is heavy, with most of its humor coming from black humor quips from the lead. Satire often uses comedy as a vehicle, and black humor is pretty much the opposite of lighthearted.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hmmm, maybe we just have different tastes. I'm a big fan of Aaron Sorkin and don't really think The Newsroom is a satire any more than The West Wing is, although I think there's more humour and less drama. And I like black humour so Justified's quips always put a smile on my face.

I didn't like the heavy-handed attempts at humour in Brooklyn Nine Nine and didn't think White Collar was particularly funny, though I did enjoy a season or two before I got bored. Haven't seen Leverage but The Good Place was pretty funny, though of course it's supposed to be, as it's a comedy and not a drama. Though I'm getting bored with it as well...

4. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Something doesn’t have to be funny to be lighthearted. The Newsroom satirized modern media and politics, and black humor is great - it’s just not lighthearted.

5. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Seems like we are destined to disagree on this topic.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  6. Ian Woodhead

Ian Woodhead Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Citizen

10%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Westworld, The Handmaid's Tale, and The Expanse.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  7. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm saving up season 3 of Expanse. I like the show.

Remember the Cant!

Ian Woodhead likes this.
  8. Ian Woodhead

Ian Woodhead Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Citizen

10%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm currently binging on Cobra Kai.

CheshirePhoenix and Paul Bellow like this.
  9. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just finished season 3 of Wak Fu verry underrated show starts like a kids show but its not.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  10. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How is it?

11. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It was excellent! Managed to pay homage to the movie (and the 80s) while poking fun at it. Cleverly written, flawed characters, laugh out loud funny.

12. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just finished The Ancient Magus's Bride (or Magus Bride, which it is ungrammatically listed as in some places), a short run anime series I enjoyed quite a bit. It's got similarities to Beauty & the Beast and Spirited Away, and they use the mythology of the British Isles.

The main character is Chise, a young woman with innate, powerful but uncontrolled magical abilities, and she has suffered so much abuse for them, including her own mother going mad, trying to kill her, and then committing suicide, that she has absolutely no self-esteem. She sells herself on a magical auction, and ends up being purchased by a towering, mysterious looking creature with a wolf/gazelle skull head who wants her as both apprentice and future bride. This is Elias, the title's magus, a shapeshifting magic user with no memory of his origins and an unfamiliarity with human emotions. He begins to teach Chise, and the series follows her adventures and conflicts with dragons, fairies, church grims, and other creatures, as well as alchemists (traditionally enemies of mages) and a weird, silver-haired little boy who is actually an immortal, evil magic-user.

Basically it hits all the right buttons for me what with the monsters, magic and mythology. While the animation is a limited as most tv shows, the character design is well done and the backgrounds are beautifully rendered, which makes it look fancier than its budget. It's also nice the story comes to a conclusion instead of running on for a billion episodes, although there is enough mystery left and the characters are likeable enough I'll probably check out the manga it's based on.

13. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yippee! New season of Masterchef Australia has started!

14. Dark_Prince

Dark_Prince Level 7 (Cutpurse) Beta Reader Citizen

34%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Watching lethal weapon the TV series and found out they are doing a season 3, the bad news is they got rid of clayne Crawford who plays main character Martin riggs and replaced him with Sean William Scott. Makes me want to cry

15. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's the only reason I might start watching it again.

Dark_Prince likes this.
  16. Dark_Prince

34%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Never been a fan of Sean William Scott, but I'll give it a go and see how it goes

Readsalot likes this.
  17. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, he was apparently responsible for a couple of injuries on set and nobody wanted to work with him anymore.

I’m bummed that Fox cancelled Lucifer for a show that’s going to take a nosedive because of the main character recasting. Here’s hoping someone picks up Lucifer from them, because that’s currently my favorite show on television.

Dark_Prince likes this.
  18. Dark_Prince

34%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I admit there where a couple incidents that he was at fault for, and one person was hurt, but he did play riggs brilliantly.

I never actually watched lucifer, but they might get lucky like brooklyn nine nine, I am a bit annoyed that they cancelled scorpion and theat agents of sheild is in limbo waiting to be renewed or cancelled

19. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I went through the whole second season of Flaked recently. Only 6 episodes, but it was well put together, imho.

[​IMG]

I'm still looking forward to Expanse and West World as soon as they end. Not sure if I'll make it.

Also finally watching Rick & Morty. My opinion? Meh? I mean, it's okay. I love the theme song (because it reminds me of Dr Who?)

It's almost as if they would've made better movies than a tv show? I know I'm probably speaking heresy, but I'm not overly impressed.

20. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm enjoying Westworld, but I also find this season to be a bit more character-driven rather than plot-driven. This, however, is not necessarily a bad thing, imo, as I find the characters' growth fascinating. It does mean not every episode will have the same pace, though, this week's episode being a case in point, as it focused a lot on Thandie Newton's character, Maeve.

Paul Bellow likes this.