Who's Your Favorite Narrator?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Paul Bellow, May 13, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Do you know their name? I'm going to be looking into audiobooks for my series later this year. For the first two books, I'm going to need a male and female narrator.

Gimme your suggestions, please. Thanks!

2. Jason

Jason Troll Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm a fan of the Kevin Hearne series "Iron Druid Chronicles" his narrator is Luke Daniels. The Author is great and is very active with his fan base, and his Narrator is really something special. Luke really makes the characters stand out and have a unique identity when you hear them. I've never actually read one if Kevin's books...lol. I spend a good amount of time on the road and I have listened to all of them. The stories, and Luke's narration of them, really help eat up the miles.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Jenny Haviland

Jenny Haviland Level 5 (Veteran) Citizen

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Would back up Jason's post. I love the Iron Druid and the audio-books really have some life in them and are a pleasure to listen to.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Paul Bellow and Jason like this.
  4. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have 2 favorites that haven't done LitRPG to my knowledge. Sean Runnette does all of Mark Tufo's books. And then, John Fatherolf from the Tome of Bill series by Rick Gualtieri.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Dawn Chapman

Dawn Chapman Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So far, for LitRPG I have to say, I love Jeff Hays, the effort he puts in is amazing. I actually liked Pavi's performance of Continue Online, and Eden's Gate.

You can't beat Nick Podhel for Gam3 either.

Joe Hemple is amazing. And he's just released - Ring of Promise by JA Cipriano and JB Garner (I'm a fan of Joe, and love their Heart of Gold too)

Ooo other than that..... I know two female narrators one I adore, Andrea Emmes, and then a newer face Andrea Parsneau :) they'll both be amazing with Litrpg I know it.

Mmmm think that's it for now. lol

SteampunkSanta and Paul Bellow like this.
  6. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Helpful! With my male/female split POV, I'm going to need to hire two narrators, I think.

Question for anyone: In a split POV book, would you rather have the same narrator or one for male and one for female?

Thanks!

7. Jason

Jason Troll Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've read them both ways. Male narrator doing both sexes or a split narration. I really have no preference.

8. SteampunkSanta

SteampunkSanta Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In split POV with two narrators, you'd better be willing to pay upfront for services instead of royalty-share, because narrators simply don't want the hassle of splitting their royalties with another narrator. Expect to pay at LEASt $200 per finished hour for quality narrators. And if you want one narrator to play both convincingly, I only know of myself and Joel Froomkin who can actually pull it off. I'm very expensive and busy until October. You'll have to ask Joel about his rates. I'm not even sure he would agree to royalties.

https://www.joelfroomkinaudio.com/

As for what listeners prefer, they definitely want both characters to sound convincing.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  9. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks!

How many words in an hour typically? I need to start looking at budgets and what-not.

You're def on my short-list so far, btw, if you would have me. I can pay in worthless virtual gold, right?

Just kidding. ;)

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  10. SteampunkSanta

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The average finished hour for most narrators is about 9,250 words.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  11. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, so for a 110k book, I'm looking at $2,300 or so...

I need to talk to some other authors and see what kind of sales they're getting on audiobooks. It might not make sense for me personally until I build up my readership.

Very helpful info, tho. So great to have you here!

ETA: Here's some gold for ya. ;)

SteampunkSanta likes this.
  12. SteampunkSanta

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yum, thanks! But keep in mind, I said at LEAST $200 per finished hour. This will be the rate for someone who is JUST starting to get attention from authors, and who have been doing it for a year or so. Once you get to people around my experience level, you're looking at closer to double that...

Paul Bellow likes this.
  13. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Gotcha. At this point, I don't think it's viable for me, but it's something I want to do in the future.

BTW, I'd love to post your live readings when you do them. What's your schedule on them?

14. SteampunkSanta

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Every Sunday at 5pm CST, my variety show.

Every Wednesday at 7pm CST, samples of my current project.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Cool deal. I'll try to remember to start threads and post the embeds here - unless someone else does it first? Hint, hint, nudge, nudge, say no more!

16. Dawn Chapman

Dawn Chapman Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yep Jeff has it right, around 9000 words an hour just depends on reading speed of the narrator.

Also if you want to know more check out Derek's blog post - http://www.voiceofderrick.com/rs_marketing/
    Great ready and explains more about the process most of us RH's don't know these things.

You can pick up some pretty decent narrators on ACX for RS, but you might not get anywhere near what you're wanting you have to hunt...

As for me, working with Greg and Holly, we're a history, and I hope it will only keep on getting better and better for me and them. But Audiobooks are defo a gamble till you've a good fan base.

Matthew Siege and Paul Bellow like this.
  17. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, that's why I'm waiting. Good info, tho! Thanks for sharing.