Why autopublishing?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Cadwe, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Cadwe

Cadwe Arrogant cheeky Dragon Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

4%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Paris (France)
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good day everyone!

I was wondering why autopublishing is the prefered method for LitRPG. Are editors not interested? Is it about money?

2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Autopublishing?

Not sure what you mean...

Self-publishing, maybe?

3. DylanTheEditor

DylanTheEditor Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen Editor

73%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If you're talking about self-publishing, it's mainly because getting a publisher is hard. It's a much longer process than having some friends help beta read your book and putting it up for sale on Amazon. Also, it's not a guarantee of more money.

I think a big part of it is self-publishing is increasing as a whole and LitRPG is a new genre.

It also might have something to do with genre-fiction doing well through Kindle Unlimited. Sometimes people don't want a literary masterpiece, they want a piece of genre fiction that fills the tropes (i.e. romance novels on KU or for $0.99 a piece). I'm not saying that LitRPG books aren't good books, just that the readers want certain things fulfilled in interesting ways and a quicker system than traditional publishing lends itself to that.

4. Cadwe

Cadwe Arrogant cheeky Dragon Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

4%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Paris (France)
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Interesting. I am currently trying to pitch some authors to french editors (hard to translate on your own).

Since exept the russians most LitRPG is self-published I was wondering why