Why do you think LitRPG is so popular?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Yuli Ban, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's not often mentioned, but I feel it must be at least once: LitRPG has seen so many first time authors debut under 1,000 on Amazon that it's unreal. Right now, you could search "LitRPG" on Amazon and I can guarantee you that at least 5 books released since November 1st are somewhere between #100 and #2,000 on Amazon charts.

My question, then, is simple: why?

What on Earth is so attractive about LitRPG that drives so many readers to it? It can't just be a small pool buying these books like you see in certain romance niches; some of these books have been sub-10,000 since their publication months or even years ago.

Is it a cross section of sci-fi and fantasy readers on top of the litRPG base? Is it the result of let's play fans becoming book readers? Part of me just doesn't get it. I adore the video game mechanics interfused with literature, but there must be something I'm missing. Something that explains why others would too.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Jay, Angel Ramon and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Supply / Demand... It'll even out over the next 6 to 12 months, I imagine.

As for why it's popular ... I think it's a lot of reasons. RPO was all about the 80s - nostalgia. Some LitRPG also give that nostalgia vibe. I had a lot of comments about Tower of Gates reminding people of EverQuest / World of Warcraft / MUDs, etc.

I really think it's going to keep growing - especially once Jumanji and RPO movies hit the theaters.

Angel Ramon likes this.
  3. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've been saying that we're likely in the days preceding a gold rush, and that the Ready Player One movie as well as Jumanji 2 will be what kicks it off. Right now, we definitely are still in that early period. Most litRPGs are based off those classic MMOs, but sooner or later, we're going to see popular stories that take up after other video game genres and video game titles. That's one reason why I asked if litRPG was strictly for RPGs and if we'd see new terms for other genres as time went on all those weeks ago.

Jay, Angel Ramon and Paul Bellow like this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I can't wait to get to my LitRTS. I've been thinking/planning that one for a while now. Good times.

[​IMG]

Angel Ramon likes this.
  5. Angel Ramon

Angel Ramon DukeNukemFreak05 LitRPG Author Citizen

40%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Puerto Rico
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah I can't wait for that as well, I was planning one myself. Too much research though as I want to be Historically accurate. Yes, Paul, I'm a History geek amongst many things and I live on an island full of beautiful girls and have a hot girlfriend. Go figure! Who knows you'll be the father of this particular brand ;)

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Angel Ramon

40%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Puerto Rico
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    These are indeed fun times for us. Heck, I did an FPS in the form of a book lol. Had a few friends read it and they loved it. One said finding a secret in my book reminds him of the tune that plays in The Legend of Zelda when you find a major item. I plan on many FPS shooters as well. In fact, planning the next one now. Finally, video game reads are becoming acceptant in the literary world.

7. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Have you never played civ? While not technically RTS, it has good elements.

Rise of Nations is good too for tech-trees throughout the ages.

No desire to be the father of LitRTS. Someone has a roguelike dropping before mine too. It's all good. #TeamReaders ;)

I love your enthusiasm, man. Keep it up. You'll own your own island someday.

[​IMG]

Angel Ramon and Jay like this.
  8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Old history (even what little we know prehistoric-wise) is fun for me too.

Like that dude killed by an arrow and frozen in the ice in (Siberia??)

Ever watch the HBO miniseries Rome? That was fun.

So many documentaries and books over the years.

[​IMG]

I remember reading this set of encyclopedias we had when I was a child. Ah, the memories...

Felicity Weiss, Angel Ramon and Jay like this.
  9. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I kind of wonder that myself. Why LitRPG is taking off so much. I'm not complaining, but I'm curious.

I can definitely say what about it appeals to me. I like the idea of being inside the video game. Heck, back when I was a kid, I did want to jump into Legend of Zelda and all those old games. I also really enjoy the RPG style games, both single and MMO, so having that mixed with "living, not just playing" the game is really appealing to me.

10. Angel Ramon

40%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Puerto Rico
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No, I never watched Rome, but I have played Civ, Age of Empires 1-3 BTW, Rise of Nations (I own all these games), even some of the oddballs such as Cossacks, Alexander(Based on the Movie), Total War series, and even city building games such as Caesar, Zeus, Glory of Rome, and Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom. So I'm good at history, just not Bronze Age history such as the Assyrian or Hitties.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  11. Angel Ramon

40%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Puerto Rico
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks man and I'm sure it will happen.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  12. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lots of wars! Vanquishing foes on a mass scale. Assyria was very militaristic and ruthless.

[​IMG]

Angel Ramon likes this.
  13. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So many people are going to become addicted once VR really takes off - another 5 to 10 years? Things are speeding up even more when it comes to technology. Quantum computers will be a huge game-changer.

But yeah...I remember those feels and hope to get that out in my books...

Yuli Ban, Viergacht and Jay like this.
  14. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There was an article in the Slate recently about VR addiction, though it wasn't really in depth. It did mention scientists had made a VR rig for rats, which I found very amusing for some reason . . . time to write the first Secret of NIMH LitRPG I reckon!

Jay and Paul Bellow like this.
  15. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nimh?
    THIS IS REDWALL!

Paul Bellow likes this.
  16. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    NIMH would be the real world, Redwall (I never read this) I assume would be the game.

Jay and Paul Bellow like this.
  17. Viergacht

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Jay, Felicity Weiss and Paul Bellow like this.
  18. Viergacht

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

"See, the problem is that in the 'real world' things often suck."

Jay, DJ Schinhofen and Paul Bellow like this.
  19. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ^^^^
    THIS

Viergacht likes this.
  20. FrustratedEgo

FrustratedEgo Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I hear Space Fantasy is even more popular...better get on those werewolves and space carriers...

CheshirePhoenix, Jay and Viergacht like this.