Why does Randy want the node road to

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Hastur, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    connect from Richter's dungeon to the dungeon in Law(Yves)? Is it just for the sake of the MV? Richter would be able to take items there for trade and of course also buy items. The bag of holding would make this possible. It would also make it possible for stealth missions to Law such as stealing blueprints.

2. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Those are good reasons to connect to any Dungeon near a major city/kingdom. If they can carry their traders through they can get some serious bank to roll back in. Should be easy since Richter can already take an extra 3 people with the party.

Why specifically Law?
    My bet is to keep looking for the Dungeon Heart Crystal, which rumor has it is inside the dungeon somewhere

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  3. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Especially now that Richter can make bags of holding. One full party can carry quite a bit. Part of why the MV is paying higher prices is the distance the traders need to come.

While I find that a valid idea why does he want that? Doesn't that go against his oath to his family? Taking the dungeon away from his nephew...hmmm. Could be a vengeance thing for being removed from power. Randy has never mentioned wanting to become the master of the dungeon. I'm more guessing it has something to do with the oath that he would not give Richter the details of.

Captain BlackJack and Martire like this.
  4. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Technically he only has an oath to never sit on the throne/rule yves. Never said he couldn't make the throne worth less to sit on.

PokemonThug and Martire like this.
  5. Martire

Martire Level 6 (Footpad) Exiles Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It could be to fulfill his 2nd Oath or to just so that he could connect through the MV dungeon to Yves' and visit his mom more often.

Waterhobit and Hastur like this.
  6. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He wants to find his mom.

Waterhobit, Johan and Hastur like this.
  7. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You guys are assuming that the oath is his main motivator, but Randy likely hates the new king for ruining the country he was born into a century earlier. That would be the natural reaction to seeing someone ruin your homeland. Not to mention he was personally driven out after serving loyally for nearly a century, that has to sting. Randy should be human enough that a century seems a very long time.

Its also likely he remains loyal to the kingdom, its institutions and its people, even if he finds the current king and his cronies reprehensible. So I figure he could want access to the dungeon in Yves for several reasons.

1) Information. That could mean
    1b) Are there dissatisfied conservative lords that dislike the kings New Men and the way the current regime is running every nonhuman out of the kingdom? Can they be used in some fashion to further the goals of the mist village? Even if they are willing to go no further than turning a blind eye to nonhumans fleeing through their territory that would be invaluable information.
    1c)Are there sympathizers amongst the lower classes? Merchants, workers and servants may not have the power of a lord but they are still a resource.
    1d) How much headway are the regime making with the common populace? We know from book 1 that there are growing anti nonhuman sentiments in Yves, spreading out into even the smaller towns. Gotta keep tabs on that development, to get an idea where the regime is headed. Is the kingdom headed towards purges and genocide? Outright slavery instead of indentured servants?
    1e) Feel free to add more stuff worth knowing.

2) Trade. That could mean
    2a) I think we all get the gist

3) Communications

4) Greatly expanded travel network
    4b) Randy may have visited a bunch of other places through the labyrinth in Law. Having a noderoad would give them access to distant areas, which would be invaluable

PokemonThug and ShoughtLoud like this.
  8. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh shit I am very much looking forward to getting a beer with you some time my very dear dark dark friend. (Always be extremely weary of anyone who addresses u as a "FRIEND" hoho)

9. S'ahelas

S'ahelas Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There are a lot of secrets Randy has and I assume one of them has to do with his mom, and one of them has to do with vengeance on the new king. But he could also be involved with many other things, relating to the kingdom and other nations. He was the spy master and probably still has a large network. He probably has connections to assassins guilds. I think the master node gives him the opportunity to bring some of his past life to the MV.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  10. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I definitely believe the desire to blaze the node road to the forge of heavens no doubt has to do with his unspoken oath.

I would find it unrealistic for him wanting to find the node road because of trade or communications.

As much as I do hope Ricther finds the heart of that dungeon Randy has a much greater purpose then the mere dungeon. I am self assured it has something to do with his Nephew the King and his advisers.

It could be that he is looking for something in the castle.

Perhaps it’s something he knows of or something he left. All of which could lead to revenge.

11. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It could perhaps be because the dungeon is literally his mother. Also, it's the Hall of Elemental Hunters rather than the Forge of Heavens.

12. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, that would be the indifferent dungeon that he had adventures in with his father for years. That would be the same dungeon that would have gladly eaten him if he had fallen.

I know others think he wants to find his mother. I can’t really buy into that part as he had stated she had never been seen again. Some of those same people would argue that dungeons can’t create sentient beings as well. I personally find it hard to believe that Randy would want to go look for her as he never new her nor had a relationship with her. I just can’t see it.

Thanks for the correction. That was a stupid mistake.

13. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I mean no one ever goes looking for their absent biological parent.

As for the other part

Screenshot_20200722-112017.jpg

14. Albatross1873

Albatross1873 Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would like to think he wants to look for proof of evil advisors corrupting his nephew.

Granted I have nothing to base this on but it could be an entertaining tangent for the story.

RedzPeng and Captain BlackJack like this.
  15. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I totally agree!

It seems like I could hear the anger as he spoke of the situation.

16. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Now their you gonna

Trying to prove that the dungeon can create sentient beings! I mean it can create one as an avatar.

But doesn’t that mean the dungeon would be able to clearly think?

And doesn’t that mean the dungeon was totally interfering with the natural process of the dungeon. That is feeding by entrapping men in the Shallallow? I know the spelling isn’t right.

Shout, Man sometimes you really amaze me. Just when you had convinced me that couldn’t ever happen. As in last year.

So now I am at the least looking forward to one sentient skeleton ordering all the non sentient click clacks around.

17. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No. The Powers create the avatar, not the Dungeon. Or it could be interpreted as the dungeon creating a shell for the Power to inhabit. Regardless it's the Powers that are doing the thinking and driving through their avatars, not the Dungeon, though the Dungeon Does play a role, since the shell is still a part of it.

Also no it wasn't interfering with the safe room. The adventurers decided to accept three times that they could stay forever with the undine and the naiads like morons. Since it was of their own free will, it's not considered harm and thus doesn't break the safe room protocols.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sorry, for the poor spelling above but it seems to me that the shambhala is more of just a sham.

I mean the shambhala was supposed to be a safe place from the dungeon were nothing would kill you.

In fact if you did kill something or someone in the shambhala were you not to be severely punished?

Was it not a safe zone created by the dungeon?

It just seems like the hall of elemental hunters has broken the rules in regards to the dungeons. it also didn’t just create one sentient but it had to create a whole group. That is each of the Kings men were being charmed by those individuals making them succumb to starvation. Or was that just the dungeon feeding on men in the sham?

19. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You were convinced it couldn't create sentience? Hmm I remember arguing that the Dungeon itself likely isn't sentient and sentient mobs seems unlikely to be created directly, though they may evolve or swear to serve a sufficiently advanced dungeon. But respawnable creatures like the harbinger and various miniboses seem like they could have their own form of intelligence.

I remember being convinced that the possible return of Caulder had been foreshadowed. Gonna need someone to lead and train all those level 1 basic skeleton warriors they will eventually summon from the kindir palace. Though surely Richter will need to transform Caulder into some other form of undead that isn't cursed if Aleron goes with that

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m just not sold on that.
    You will need to keep trying.