Why does Randy want the node road to

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Hastur, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Hastur

Hastur Level 5 (Veteran) Exiles Citizen

17%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    connect from Richter's dungeon to the dungeon in Law(Yves)? Is it just for the sake of the MV? Richter would be able to take items there for trade and of course also buy items. The bag of holding would make this possible. It would also make it possible for stealth missions to Law such as stealing blueprints.

2. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

92%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Those are good reasons to connect to any Dungeon near a major city/kingdom. If they can carry their traders through they can get some serious bank to roll back in. Should be easy since Richter can already take an extra 3 people with the party.

Why specifically Law?
    My bet is to keep looking for the Dungeon Heart Crystal, which rumor has it is inside the dungeon somewhere

3. Hastur

Hastur Level 5 (Veteran) Exiles Citizen

17%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Especially now that Richter can make bags of holding. One full party can carry quite a bit. Part of why the MV is paying higher prices is the distance the traders need to come.

While I find that a valid idea why does he want that? Doesn't that go against his oath to his family? Taking the dungeon away from his nephew...hmmm. Could be a vengeance thing for being removed from power. Randy has never mentioned wanting to become the master of the dungeon. I'm more guessing it has something to do with the oath that he would not give Richter the details of.

Martire likes this.
  4. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

92%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Technically he only has an oath to never sit on the throne/rule yves. Never said he couldn't make the throne worth less to sit on.

PokemonThug and Martire like this.
  5. Martire

Martire Level 3 (Apprentice) Exiles Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It could be to fulfill his 2nd Oath or to just so that he could connect through the MV dungeon to Yves' and visit his mom more often.

Hastur likes this.
  6. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He wants to find his mom.

Johan and Hastur like this.
  7. Dragon

Dragon Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

42%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You guys are assuming that the oath is his main motivator, but Randy likely hates the new king for ruining the country he was born into a century earlier. That would be the natural reaction to seeing someone ruin your homeland. Not to mention he was personally driven out after serving loyally for nearly a century, that has to sting. Randy should be human enough that a century seems a very long time.

Its also likely he remains loyal to the kingdom, its institutions and its people, even if he finds the current king and his cronies reprehensible. So I figure he could want access to the dungeon in Yves for several reasons.

1) Information. That could mean
    1b) Are there dissatisfied conservative lords that dislike the kings New Men and the way the current regime is running every nonhuman out of the kingdom? Can they be used in some fashion to further the goals of the mist village? Even if they are willing to go no further than turning a blind eye to nonhumans fleeing through their territory that would be invaluable information.
    1c)Are there sympathizers amongst the lower classes? Merchants, workers and servants may not have the power of a lord but they are still a resource.
    1d) How much headway are the regime making with the common populace? We know from book 1 that there are growing anti nonhuman sentiments in Yves, spreading out into even the smaller towns. Gotta keep tabs on that development, to get an idea where the regime is headed. Is the kingdom headed towards purges and genocide? Outright slavery instead of indentured servants?
    1e) Feel free to add more stuff worth knowing.

2) Trade. That could mean
    2a) I think we all get the gist

3) Communications

4) Greatly expanded travel network
    4b) Randy may have visited a bunch of other places through the labyrinth in Law. Having a noderoad would give them access to distant areas, which would be invaluable

PokemonThug and ShoughtLoud like this.
  8. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 6 (Footpad) Roleplaying Exiles Citizen

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh shit I am very much looking forward to getting a beer with you some time my very dear dark dark friend. (Always be extremely weary of anyone who addresses u as a "FRIEND" hoho)