Why We Are Building Ember Sword

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Paul Bellow, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We’re building Ember Sword because we believe blockchain is changing the games industry for good, allowing us to put an end to lootboxes and predatory pay-to-win monetization.

We believe in empowering artists to monetize their work, we believe in true ownership over digital items, and we believe in a persistent decentralized digital universe built by the players, with ultimate freedom and no borders.

And above all, we know that a great MMORPG starts with an excited community finally in control!

Ember Sword Genesis Story Part 1: Ownership and Item Trading
    The first time I got scammed in an MMORPG was in 2007 when I attempted to buy a cosmetic avatar from another player. The price was low, suspiciously low, but it was late at night and I had been looking for that exact item for some time.

I ask about the low price. The seller tells me he received the item for free from a friend who no longer plays and that he is simply looking to make a quick fiat profit before quitting the game too. I believe him.

The seller is adamant that I send the money before receiving the avatar. Something doesn’t feel right, but I really want the avatar and I’ve spent considerable time talking to the seller already. So I make the transfer, and *puff*! Just like that, the seller logs off — never to be seen again.

I lost $35 that night and never told anyone because of how foolish I felt!

Wouldn’t it be great if the seller had truly owned the avatar he was trying to sell so that I had been able to buy the cosmetic through an in-game marketplace that was secure for both parties, allowed the seller to transfer the currency received outside of the game, and yet didn’t enable pay-to-win?

That’s why we’re building with Ember Sword.

1_As2xAXgB1i9kyuke3YE4CA.png