Willpower Stat IRL

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Larakel, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Larakel

Larakel Level 14 (Defender) Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Psychologists now think people have a willpower stat, IRL. Okay, they call it ego, but I'm going with Willpower Stat.
    Basically, we all have a finite daily amount of Willpower that runs down as the day goes on and we deal with small annoyances, temptations, and so on. Then it recharges overnight.

The theory is, if you want to do something that is important to you, but you are struggling with it, like learning a new language (or writing a book) do it really early in the morning, make it one of the very first things you do, whilst your willpower stat is at its daily highest.

2. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's been known for a while though, hasn't it? I remember learning about it in my psych 101 class about a decade ago.

Felicity Weiss and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. Wolfgarr

Wolfgarr Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    LOL Average willpower stat for people born before 1990 = 100
    Average Willpower stat for people born after 1990= 25

The Cause.. = Instant gratification,Advent of computers (Tech) Cell phones, Mass media, the destruction of the family dynamic by groups like "Feminists" "Liberals" etc

When i was a kid..Having fun meant going outside and doing things, now days having fun as a kid means playing games, texting ,etc etc
    When i was "Bad" i was spanked.. Now days its Time out...Or a talked at.. Nether of the two later choices teaches a child that doing bad things
    means consequences. (there is a big difference between beating a child "Abuse", and spanking)

Younger generations have no respect...(For themselves, others, or things) Because of the way they were/are raised.

I do not pretend to know the solution to the problems facing our country..Or the world. The only good thing i am somewhat decent at is identifying that there IS a problem and what is causing it.

DJ Schinhofen likes this.
  4. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Every generation bitches and complains about the generation following them being the worst generation. And every generation is wrong.

As evidence, I submit the fact that civilization hasn't up and collapsed under its own weight yet.

As a child, I was constantly doing stupid shit. But you will never know just what kind of shenanigans I got up to - because when I was a kid, the Internet didn't exist for my stupid shit to be posted publicly, and instant photography was limited to Polaroid cameras.

Wolfgarr likes this.
  5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Those Bronze Age Bastards! I'm telling you! Stone is where it's at! Has been for many years and always should be!

Those Iron Age Bastards! I'm telling you! Bronze is where it's at! Has been for many years and always should be!

And, yeah, the internet is changing the world in big ways. Not all of them good.

Heh. Polaroids.

[​IMG]

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  6. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    you're closer to accurate than not, @Paul Bellow. In 20 BC, a guy by the name of Horace wrote a series of books called Odes. In the third book, he wrote
    But I think the closest complaint to today (almost word for bloody word!) is from a child psychology book published in 1904, written by a shrink named Granville Stanley Hall. The book is titled "The Psychology of Adolescence" and this was his take on things then:

So yeah. This complaint is literally older than the Bible. Yet somehow we are still chugging along as a civilization.

Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  7. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Personally, I am SO GLAD the internet didn't exist when I was a kid - the world was spared my Speed Racer, Thundercats and Manimal fanfic LOL Nowadays the cringey stuff you do as a kid will follow you forever.

Back to the OP, tho, that doesn't sound like anything different from having a good night's rest. When I wake up it I can get moving immediately but my brain doesn't kick in for about an hour. Everyone knows that even if I'm showering, dressed, making breakfast, don't assume anything you say to me will be processed. I find the most motivating time of day is the early evening, when work & chores are over, the sun's gone down and the neighbors are quieting down.

Wolfgarr and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  8. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's not a daily refresh thing. It refills as it's not being used rather than just waking up and having all of your willpower back. And even that's not a sure bet, as it can vary depending on quality and length of sleep.

9. Larakel

Larakel Level 14 (Defender) Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe... I only just learned it recently

CheshirePhoenix likes this.