RANT With all respect please stop

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by MrPotatoMan, Dec 7, 2017.

1. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ok I've been noticing that a bunch of LitRPG authors seem to think they should put there book into every category on audible ( only read audio so i dont know how it works on kindle) like ive seen The Land probably the most egregious example of this

dark fantasy
    epic fantasy
    fantasy contemporary
    fantasy paranormal
    sci fi contemporary
    superheros
    sword and sorcery
    these are just the ones i found under fantasy subgenres and looking at bestsellers^

here are the ones attacted to the books
    fiction humor book 1
    fiction african american book 2
    fantasy contemporary book 3
    fantasy epic book 4
    fantasy contemporary book 5

Ok so first off unless your book actually has superheros in it should not be under superheros

would not describe it as dark fantasy, scifi, or sword or sorcery (sure its "LitRPG" but given how the world its set up its ironically portal fantasy with litRPG elements as hes never in a game atleast by the authors own definition)

from my understanding of paranormal fantasy ( admittedly limited) it dosent fit at all

I really wouldn't call it epic fantasy but that depends on your definition

fantasy contemporary and possibly humor although if the book has a sense of humor ive yet to find it

I would be fine if it were just the land but ive noticed some other LitRPG that clearly dosent belong and its really annoying me please subgenres arent just tags at least look up the definiton of the subgenre and see if your book fits.

LitRPG is not every genre so dont put it in every one the categories were designed to help people search not to give them stuff there not looking for so please try to be considerate and not put your book in half of the categories when it dosent belong.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  3. FrustratedEgo

FrustratedEgo Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    To the best my knowledge, I have no impact on Audible's category selection.

Sadly anything with certain monster words, werewolves, vampires, etc - gets put in superhero a lot of times. Take a look at the super hero top list, it's mostly topless men. I found this amazing when I was writing The Fiasco.

It might key off of the Amazon keywords, maybe, I guess? Depends on if you're shopping for titles through Amazon, Audible, or iTunes?

Dawn Chapman likes this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm not sure about audible, but a lot of it on KDP is based off keywords.

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201216150

You get two main categories you choose then use keywords to get in others. Some authors go overboard and try to stuff as many keywords as they can to get into as many categories as possible.

I really think book discoverability is the next big problem to be solved in ebook publishing.

Maaike Madsen likes this.
  5. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    According to this acx article you can directly select subgenres on audible
    http://audible-acx.custhelp.com/app...ategories/genres-for-my-audiobook-be-changed?

that problem will only get worse as the number of books increases (useing steam as an example) I hope there is a solution but for now i honestly think the best thing is to be truthful about what your book is i know i at least wont read books im not looking for the majority of the time so listing books in other categories just wastes my time and makes me like said book less this problem is also made worse by audible not having a LitRPG catagory

6. Dawn Chapman

Dawn Chapman Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Only if you're the one producing it.... try asking a publisher to list it in a certain way, you've got no chance.

As you've said, the biggest issues is there's no cat for it. So people try and make it the best that matches that series. Also, if you poke the Zon over it they might be able to move it to a better slot, but it doesn't always work.

Want better listings we have to push for the catagory, good reads and the Zon.

Paul Bellow likes this.