‘Xanth’ Fantasy Movie, TV Series in Development

Discussion in 'TV and Movies' started by Paul Bellow, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I so hope they don't screw this IP up. This was a FAVORITE as a tween growing up.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/xanth-fantasy-movie-tv-series-development-steven-paul-1202022024/

2. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I loved these as a kid, but re-reading them as an adult was . . . . painful. Then reading some of the stuff he says in real life about having sex with children, and nooo thankie.

The books starting with Split Infinity hold up better - they're quite LitRPG-like, in that a MC highly trained in various games is transported from a hi-tech world to one where magic replaces tech, and he has to figure out how to survive using his existing skills and new powers.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Whoa I must've missed that...

4. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Don't look it up without a gallon of brain bleach handy :/

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I think I'll pass. Kinda creepy that he wrote books for children.

6. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I enjoyed them as a teen, and yes...trying to re-read them as an adult ( xanth and split infinity) was painful. I remember Diary of a Space Ogre pushing the edge a bit far on a couple of topics.

7. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd stopped and moved on before the panties one, I believe. Joel Rosenberg after that point? And Gygax. Good old Gygax. RIP.

[​IMG]

Viergacht likes this.
  8. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Loved Xanth as a teen. I doubt the television series will be any good though. Would like to be pleasantly surprised of course.

9. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The adaptation is gonna suck. The entire magic of Xanth is in how it stimulated our imaginations when we read it as kids, and no matter how good visual effects may get they'll never be nearly as good as our childhood imaginations.

Haven't heard of Piers Anthony being a pedo. Course, I also try to actively avoid deep dives on anyone whose work I enjoy. Kinda wrecks my enjoyment when I find out the creator was a terrible person, like so very many of them are.

Felicity Weiss and Paul Bellow like this.
  10. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    r
    right, me too.
    I don't see the puns coming across at all in an adaptation.

11. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I shall watch the hell out of this, all the while cringing in anticipation of the bad press. The accusations are all over his reviews. What a gamble.

12. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  13. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It looks like he pissed off the tumblr feminist crowd somehow and those rants are swamping any mention of pedophilia on google.

Diving deeper it looks like the entire thing started because of one scene in the book Firefly, which I've not read. As I've not read the book, I can't judge. But from older reports he seems like a pretty decent fellow and, having read the Xanth and Incarnations series, I really don't see what the Internet Haet Musheen is really on about. But then, the IHM has never really been all that rational or predictable and is usually provably wrong enough that I take the entire thing with a grain of salt the size of horse lick.

[​IMG]

But yeah, this is totally going to get crucified. It'll either be ruining our childhoods or pissing off the internet hate machine (I call him Bob).

14. Viergacht

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nah, it's been more than just that one thing. And the dude really does have a creepy view of women, although he's old so that's pretty much par for the course. I won't say it ruined my childhood because thankfully my rampant senility edited out the bad stuff. Re-reading it, it was rrrrrrrreally wince inducing. I figure there's enough good stuff out there I don't need to read anything by him, so yah.

15. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dunno man. It's hard to judge whether it exists or you're just seeing it because you expect to see it.

I've seen a bit of smoke but no real fire. So I'm sticking with childhood memories because why ruin them for myself when everyone else seems perfectly happy to do it for me?

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  16. Viergacht

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I didn't want to see it, I just came to the conclusion from the evidence presented. But Piers Anthony is not the hill I want to die on.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.