WOOT Yo... nominally Xamusel, unless when selling my writing to others

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SamuelKKauffman, May 15, 2018.

1. SamuelKKauffman

SamuelKKauffman Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Pacific Standard Time (UTC -8)
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How do you do? My full name is Samuel Kenneth Kauffman, hence why I wrote my name the way I did for this forum community. I am a little past the halfway point between 26 and 27, so that should tell you a bit about me.

...what else am I supposed to say in situations like this? I wish there was something akin to a template for how to introduce yourself here.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, we need a "character sheet" maybe. Haha.

Welcome aboard. Don't forget the shops!

DragonByte Shop | LitRPG Forum

How did you hear about us? Let me know if you have any questions.

[​IMG]

3. SamuelKKauffman

SamuelKKauffman Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Actually, I was looking for the difference between LitRPG and GameLit fiction on Google when I found this forum, and I decided to join because of my desire to be a published author with RPG mechanics in my fiction... it certainly helps that I got a couple fanfics written that have to do with The Gamer manwha (not sure if that's how you spell the word for Korean manga or not).

Anyway, I'll be sure to ask questions I might have ASAP, mister Bellow.

Seagrim and Paul Bellow like this.
  4. SmilingBlueWolf

SmilingBlueWolf Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen Aspiring Writer

6%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Welcome :) I kinda like the setting on The Gamer but it didn't impress me enough to become a fan. Now that I think about it I'm not even sure why.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, glad I'm not the only one here that knows of The Gamer, then. Still, at the very least, I'm hoping to write something akin to The Gamer as an original book series... well, without the copyright stuff of Han Jihan's story, anyway.

In any case, I'm still working on planning a few stories, like said book series I mentioned earlier. I'm just... unsure how to best start planning it, on top of getting character profiles written into the book itself, you know?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Coming up with the game-mechanics and world building at the same time is helpful.

Are you thinking of a one-off book? A trilogy? A series? Saga?

7. SmilingBlueWolf

SmilingBlueWolf Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen Aspiring Writer

6%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Try a simple outline for characters and story, then write. Only by writing you understand what makes sense and what doesn't. As far as I'm aware there aren't many LitRPG stories set in the real world, so you shouldn't wait too much before trying one. I myself have a plot like that, but I'm currently on another project so I don't know when to start. Believe me, just write if you can't form an exact plan, then work the details later!

Paul Bellow likes this.
  8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @Ian Mitchell is working on one set in the real-world when a character escapes the game... [AWAY]

It's up on RRL, but I don't have the link handy.

9. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    First off, I had to correct a grammar error in your prior post to me... it's helpful (more or less) to have Grammarly, as I've noticed.

Nextly, I think I should develop the game mechanics and the world build together, based on what you mentioned up above.

As for the length of the story, I must express confusion regarding the difference between series and saga, I'm afraid... sorry about that.

Hmm... that might be for the best, yeah, even if I'd prefer to have some more ideas as to what I should or should not do for this sort of thing... oh well.

10. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh? Haha. Sorry. Multi-tasking here when I should be concentrating on outlining book 4 and getting book 3 to the final editors.

I guess a series (to me) is a set number of books. Say, 11 books or 14 books or whatever. And a saga (again, to me) is more of open-ended, "Not sure when this is gonna end, guys!"

It's more semantics than anything. The big question is one-off, trilogy, or series with a set number of books. When you know that info, you can start to plan out everything.

One of the problems I see with some beginner authors in LitRPG is that they don't have the whole series/saga planned out. They sorta just go with the flow from book to book? That can be tricky.

HTH!

11. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I can understand what you mean. Although, I seem to recall hearing that there's a type of series with four books called a Cycle.

Anyway, regarding the length of the story, I'm thinking somewhere between the bare minimum of a series (as far as I understand it, a series starts with five books, not the cycle's four) and four-fold that number. I'm not entirely sure just yet. :(

Paul Bellow likes this.
  12. SideKarakterGendut

SideKarakterGendut Level 8 (Thug) Citizen Aspiring Writer

86%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Indonesia
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm googling that too a few days ago and ended up creating an account. Seems SEO is working nicely.

Paul Bellow and SamuelKKauffman like this.
  13. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, sounds like it, @SideKarakterGendut. I think the SEO is working as intended for this.

14. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, Salvatore did a Quintet too. It's what YOU want it to be...as long as readers are reading/buying. ;)

It's something to think about, though, because it will affect your planning likely. You don't want the big-reveal climax at the end of book one if it's a trilogy, for example.

15. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Honestly? I didn't know that R.A. Salvatore did that. (/)_-)

16. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So good to hear. I've been working on this site (and LitRPG Reads) for over a year now. You're exactly the type of people I wanted to attract. :)

[​IMG]

SamuelKKauffman likes this.
  17. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sorry, my Emoji skill level is only basic level 1 of 10. Sarcasm? ;)

Link to article including Salvatore's Quintet... Best D&D Books of All Time? | LitRPG Reads

18. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Actually, that's a facepalm, not sarcasm. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the link, by the way. I'll look at it ASAP, just to get an idea what it's about.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  19. SideKarakterGendut

SideKarakterGendut Level 8 (Thug) Citizen Aspiring Writer

86%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Indonesia
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ah yes LitRPG Reads is a nice front site, keep that up! ;)

Paul Bellow likes this.
  20. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

[​IMG]

;)

But, yeah, lots of long-form content for gamers on the blog. The narrow point of the funnel is here at the forum.