Young-Adult GameLit?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by KodyBoye, May 2, 2018.

1. KodyBoye

KodyBoye Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Anyone else have any experience seeing this in the genre? I'm not sure if Ready Player One falls into the YA or GameLit genre since I haven't read it, but figured I'd ask, since I'm writing my own at the moment.

R. M. Mulder and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. grimshawl

grimshawl Level 9 (Burgler) LitRPG Author Citizen

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I definitely would say the vast majority of Gamelit stories cant be called YA as they often have some sexual situations pop up or other objectionable scenes. I think most Gamelit/litrpg books are written geared towards adult gamer/nerds wish fulfillment scenarios. I'm okay with that as I see myself in that category. As far as Ready Player one, overall I don't remember too much about it that would keep it from being a YA story and a lot that would. Perhaps the focus on the nostalgia regarding the early years of games and the decades that happened would preclude it being geared for todays youth?

Ian Woodhead and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. R. M. Mulder

R. M. Mulder Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As for RPO, I imagine the 'masturbation manifesto' would probably disqualify it as YA

I know USA Today bestseller Anthea Sharp has several YA GameLit novels. And I also just released my first two YA GameLit novellas last week. :)