Your Favorite Doctor?

Discussion in 'TV and Movies' started by Paul Bellow, May 11, 2017.

1. Dean Chalmers

Dean Chalmers Level 5 (Veteran) LitRPG Author Citizen

33%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've been a fan for 30 years, love all the classic Doctors but I think Matt Smith is my favorite. He won me over from the first episode.
    Peter Capaldi has really good chemistry with Bill this season (and I don't even mind Nardole, surprisingly) but the stories have been weak. The decayed monk 3-parter was a test of patience even for an old die-hard fan like me.
    I think Steven Moffat's just doing this season out of loyalty to Capaldi and the show since the new producer wasn't ready yet. But Moffat's clearly burnt out.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just did a write-up on all of 'em... with thoughts of whether we'll be getting the first female Doctor soon!

https://litrpgreads.com/blog/who-is-doctor-who

ETA: LitRPG Reads is a blog / side-project meant to draw people here to the forum. ;)

3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hey, if you wouldn't mind, I'm doing a follow-up article on the best companions over the years.

What odd one would you pick and why?

Sarah Jane will be included, of course, and Feminist Ramona (You go!), racy woman eye-candy like Lela (Was that her name?)

So many over the years. I think a nice article summarizing some of the best might be in order.

[​IMG]

4. Dean Chalmers

Dean Chalmers Level 5 (Veteran) LitRPG Author Citizen

33%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Tom Baker had the best run of companions. The only ones people don't like are Romana no 1 (the "ice princess") and Adric.
    Adric may still be the most reviled companion, but he was shared between Doctors 4 and 5. And he died, so you have to feel sorry for him.

From the 21st century series, I think Donna Noble is probably the most underrated. She was highly flawed but had a great character arc. She went from a shrill and shallow person to a someone full of courage and compassion... Which made her final fate all the more tragic.
    And I liked it that she would sometimes tell Tennant's Doctor off, rather than mooning over him like a love-sick puppy, which got really old with Rose and was still a problem with Martha.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. YT Lee

YT Lee Level 4 (Warrior) Beta Reader Citizen

90%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah Tom Baker for me (controversial choice I know...)

I haven't really been able to get into it for the last few seasons; IMO the 50th anniversary special worked so well as a finale to the whole thing that everything since has felt...I dunno...inessential.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Female Doctor? I'd watch it...

7. YT Lee

YT Lee Level 4 (Warrior) Beta Reader Citizen

90%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah they definitely need to shake things up a bit, and that would do for a start. Apparently the new showrunner is a super-old-school Dr Who nerd so I don't know how much of a shake-up he wants to do though.

Paul Bellow likes this.