Your Favorite Magic System in a Video Game?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Paul Bellow, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

What's your fave?

2. Jun

Jun Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I got excited... then saw "In a video game..." Now, I have to think.

Uhmmm... I think for me most are about the same.

The only one that really pisses me off is Wizards in games that are based on Dungeons and Dragons because every time a persistent world does a major update requiring a character reset you lose all your spells and most DMs for those privately run servers don't want to spend the time to keep track of every wizard's spell book.

I guess I'll say WoW since each type of magic has a different flavor, and it's user friendly enough that you don't really notice it once you're used to playing the game. That's what a -video game- magic system should be. In table top there should be more nuts and bolts imo. I'm not counting iOS and Android games like Herthstone, etc... There's magic... it's fun... but it doesn't feel like proper video gaming.

3. Simon Fiasco

Simon Fiasco Bringer of the Avocadopocalypse LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I loved the magic system in the early years of Asheron's Call. Until the players figured out how it all worked, learning spells required testing different combinations of components (tapers, scarabs, powders, etc.). If you learned a spell, you could then share it with others (to spread the knowledge) or keep it to yourself (to make your casting ability more unique). Magic was divided into four schools. War Magic handled all attacks. Life Magic dealt with healing and protection, as well as defense debuffs and harm spells. Creature Magic was used for stat buffs and debuffs. Item Magic handled all item buffs and debuffs, as well as portal spells for travel.