WIP Zombie apocalypse....

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by Apollos, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Apollos

Apollos Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Citizen

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So I'm writing a zombie apocalypse novel, but not sure I should go litrpg or not. It's fairly unique in the zombie genre, but am I crazy for not making it litrpg?

Matthew James likes this.
  2. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    VR, Portal world, Real World, Alternate Earth setting? Sounds like you're going for a real world setting unless it takes place in the future on another planet or something.

Seems like zombies when taken down the visual design path (Resident Evil) have Zombie "levels" based on appearance and ability, more Mario platform enemies than arbitrarily powerful MMO zombies with the same models as any other weak zombie. So unless your game elements are coming from some other angle (character menus / Mega-man life-line weapon that "levels" and improves) it might just be best to make a solid world that you can revisit in a meta-verse of your own work if characters ever play a Zombie game or get stuck in a zombie world. Would need more details to say whether or not I think there was more potential with or without LitRPG.

But I'm not writing it so go with your gut / genre popularity / coin toss.

3. Latetide

Latetide Halfway to Infinity LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Zombie Apoc outside, people fleeing to games or
    Zombie Apoc inside, people safe outside, or
    Zombie apoc from the outside goes to inside, or maybe
    Zombie Apoc from inside goes outside?

4. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  5. Matthew James

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hadn't considered this, somehow a little bit Matrix with jacking in somewhere along the way to interact with "sleeping" but safe colonies - drafting real people from VR to fight a zombie war, or VR that is more X-Men Danger Room with a splash of Ender's Game. Surprise! The zombie wars are real and top score on the leaderboards get a sign on bonus with their voluntary service that is actually mandatory.

Didn't consider VR at all really because usually if you go full zombie apocalypse the first place you go to mentally isn't a 2nd Life sim, but zombies spreading out from major cities like a plague.

edit: words

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hmm, I like the idea. Let me know if you need a beta reader :)

7. Apollos

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, I guess it's at least a popular topic. Heh.

I was considering a mostly solo zombie apocalypse fiction, the guy wakes up and his family is changed, he's not, he has to flee for his life and guess what... He has a character sheet. All of a sudden it's like he's living in a survival rpg with no explanation. I can't say more...

8. Matthew James

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Give it a "Last Man On Earth" vibe with some "Man Seeking Woman" and I'd tune in for the adventurers of Protagonist and the Volley Ball.

9. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I write zombie novels under one of my pen names, and they sell well. Because of that, I've put zombies in my LitRPG, but they weren't the focus, just another kind of monster my intrepid players must fight and overcome. I've also wondered about writing a zombie focused LitRPG novel, but I've never played a game based on zombies. I'm not sure there are any, but at the moment I can't afford them if there are.

I think the focus and plot of a LitRPG zombie book would be a lot different than a "normal" zombie book. As if there is anything normal about zombie books and the people who write them. ;)

10. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hell I just wrapped up the first book of my new series that has zombies in it. Have to get it edited.
    @Apollos I will read it, really enjoyed Codename

11. Apollos

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There is one called Headshot - One in the Gut, that just came out. The idea is you play as a zombie, and level up the as you survive getting killed by other players, gain skills, etc. Its been doing well, so I'll probably try it to get an idea. I think the plot I'm aiming for may just be better without going the litrpg route. There will be a lot of character progression though.

Nice @DJ Schinhofen! Did it end up as litrpg?

Glad you enjoyed Codename: Freedom! You can probably expect the same kind of action, but a little grittier than that. Well, and zombies... :D

Paul Bellow likes this.
  12. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  13. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes it's Litrpg, all my books end up that way. It has Settlement building, stats that can be upgrades, upgradable gear, Powers that can be purchased. Add in zombies and other stuff trying to kill people. The MC is not a hero, stress that, NOT A HERO. The main female lead is not a hero either, both are very broken individuals.

14. Apollos

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I got to chat with him for a while. Nice guy.

Very nice. The second I saw settlement building I'm thinking Fallout, which I think could work really well. Any games you use as inspiration?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. DJ Schinhofen

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I liked the idea of Fall-out but beefed it up some more. Production buildings, crafting buildings ect.

Apollos and Felicity Weiss like this.
  16. Jason

Jason Troll Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ZA books or Apoc books are among my favorite to read. I'm reading a series now "The Guardian Interviews by Michael Clary" these are pretty good. The way the story is being told is unique... or to me it is. I've read most of Mark Tufo's stuff. Its all pretty silly but still fun. Then there is Shawn Chesser, Steven C Ford and probably my Fav in the genre, DJ Molles, their books are simply great.