[10/28/17] Liar King: Tower of Babel Book 2

Discussion in '2017 LitRPG Books' started by Adam Elliott, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Adam Elliott

Adam Elliott Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG] From the very first hour Cayden had set foot inside the massive, real-life game that was the Tower of Babel, nothing had gone according to plan. A unique skill, a handful of new friends and the wrath of an ultra-wealthy, patricidal lunatic were just some of the complications to his best laid plans.

So why was he even surprised when a special event trapped him, his companions and dozens of other players inside the tower, squaring them off against a murderous army of stone-faced warriors?

If they are to have any hope of survival, they'll have to leverage not only their own personal power, but the power of the Elan as well. There are castles to be built, armies to be raised and one real question to be posed.

How good is a self-proclaimed RPG nerd going to be at turn-based strategy?

I love this book, but I'm going to be so happy to see the backside of it... and get immediately onto book three. o_O

Pre-Order is in review at Amazon, so I'll be updating this as soon as they give me the link.

2. PeterM99

PeterM99 Level 8 (Thug) Citizen

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Excellent! I've been looking forward to the sequel. The first one was great.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  3. Mike Litoris

Mike Litoris Level 4 (Warrior) Citizen Aspiring Writer

90%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Can't wait! Enjoyed the first one and honestly read it entirely through in one sitting.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The first book in this series made my top 5 of LitRPG favs, eager for the next installment =)

Jay likes this.
  5. Adam Elliott

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh wow. Well, I'm just going to go hide under a rock now. No pressure at all. :oops:

6. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    <3 <3

7. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's out, it's out! /town crier mode

Viergacht likes this.
  8. Adam Elliott

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Bring out your dead!

9. Mike Litoris

Mike Litoris Level 4 (Warrior) Citizen Aspiring Writer

90%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Where?!?!?!

10. Adam Elliott

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Probably a tad late, but mybook.to/liarking

Jay likes this.
  11. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just finished it and liked it. Could’ve used less time spent on explaining the mechanics of the event though.

I’m looking forward to book 3, especially since this one just kind of ... ended. And is it just me or is the next book you’re writing going to be essentially Stardew Valley in litRPG form, @Adam Elliott?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  12. Adam Elliott

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, my only complaint about this one is pretty much the same as yours, that I spent a bit more time explaining mechanics than I'd expected to. If it helps, it is because those mechanics are going to be used somewhat frequently throughout.

And yeah. It kinda is. Release on that one is slated for Nov 20th since I'm already most of the way done, then right back into book 3 before x-mas.

Apollos likes this.
  13. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

I liked the fact that you showed some 4X love though. That’s one of my favorite game genres. So maybe since I’m so familiar with the genre it just made my eyes glaze over a bit? Or maybe it just came across as awkward because of the advisors, I dunno. Once the book got going and was in full swing it was really good.

The ending was still pretty abrupt though. What happened with that?

14. Adam Elliott

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Short answer is that I felt it was getting unmanageable. Originally book two was going to be titled "The White Knight" and cover the entirety of the event, but I hit a wall at 180,000 words that I'd been banging my head on for the better part of two weeks. I've never written anything more than 100,000 words before, and keeping everything straight in my head and on paper was causing me to melt down a little, at which point my spouse (who pre-reads all my stuff) suggested that, for my sanity, I split it into two books, release one, work on something else, and then come back and round it out when I'm calm.

Long answer is basically all of the above coupled with the fact that I suffer from moderate Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. In day to day the anxiety is manageable, but when it comes to my writing it tends to get progressively worse the longer I work on a specific piece. At a certain point (as happened with this last novel) I tend to get so anxious about its imperfections that I spend all my time rewriting parts that are perfectly fine, rather than finishing it, which in turn causes me to freak out even further about how much time it is taking me to re-write it and so on.

Fortunately I have a supportive partner who is willing to put her foot down and prevent the perfect from being the enemy of the good.

Sorry if that is a little TMI. >.>

15. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That’s exactly why I don’t write. I don’t have a grounding spouse like that, so that’s good on you! Or her, rather. Behind every great author is a ten-times-as-awesome family after all.

I’ve read books that were written by obvious perfectionists and they’ve always come across as stilted and ... nyrgh. Just, wonky; something feels off about them and I can’t quite put my finger on exactly why. I mean, sure, they please the obsessive grammar nerd in me (not even joking, one of my hobbies is etymology), but for the rest it’s like reading a politician’s speech, if that makes any sense? If anything it’s entirely TOO slick and polished, and it loses something in the polishing.

I’m available for beta reading if you want feedback on your stuff. Just need it in a file type I can read on kindle or iBooks (Kindle by preference, since that way I can highlight passages).

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  16. Adam Elliott

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I might certainly take you up on that. :)

17. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really enjoy your writing, your passion shines through : ) 1 hour left to go! Not looking forward to this abrupt ending everyone is talking about in reviews and whatnot qq. Why must good things always come to an end?

Paul Bellow and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  18. Adam Elliott

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Eh, I don't personally feel it is too abrupt. Just that there is more to come. :)

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  19. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, I eventually reached the end and le gasp, the shiny new book uses Zenni as money tooooooooo. So excite!

I was overjoyed to find the twitter mentioned in your afterword, so I dutifully followed and discovered I'm your first stalk- er, follower on Twitter! Wheee = ) As um, 1st prize, you should TOTALLY follow me back.

Also, welcome to Twitter. You are in good company. Certain american presidents excluded =P

Paul Bellow and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  20. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Except for 11 minutes last night, apparently.

Paul Bellow and Felicity Weiss like this.