A LitRPG Novel on cover

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by WildAzazel, Jun 21, 2017.

1. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I know we've discussed this somewhere and I think the cover should be self explanatory and not have to have LitRPG on it. I am willing to accept it as fact, but then, another idea hit me. What if we as a community branded it, not with "A LitRPG Novel" but with a symbol that could be included on it. Obviously not this one, but something in the corner that would let potential readers know that it is a gamer novel. At first, people wouldn't know what it was or why it was on so many books. They could bring it to others attention by asking others what does this mean? The other person may not know. But people would start investigating it and word of mouth would spread that there a genre with it's own symbol. Perhaps the buttons could be LRPG rather than YXBA. Thoughts? @Paul Bellow

Furthermore, I would want the image to be opensource so that anyone can use it for free and not have some egocentric a-hole try to patent it and sue the rest of the genre.
    SNES-Control-Pad-Fridge-Magnet-Choice-Of-Sizes-Super-Nintendo-Retro-Video-Game-123924-p.jpg

2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Decent idea. I know @Domino Finn used an E rating (for Epic!) that was nifty.

And @Zachariah Dracoulis' latest looks like a comic book almost.

It would have to be small but recognizable.

We have any (real) designers in our tribe?

3. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The cheapest version of Corel Painter Essentials comes with a convert picture / drawing to painting (illustration, chalk, and oil paintings etc), but running that logo through a similar option in any program with a "pencil" feature would give it a bit more of a comic feel. Go with a black & white version, and a couple other color schemes based on the LitRPG book covers on Amazon. Long term an app to make a custom tag like choosing a color scheme for a Car, Mech, or Space Ship. People can slap on a customized chrome tag on their completed novel after they see what their cover artist comes up with.

If no photoshop wizards take a go at it tonight, then tomorrow I'll dust off the touchschreen and give it some bargain bin mods. Spoilers and fuzzy dice, maybe a Co-Exist sticker, Calvin peeing on something, the usual.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have Photoshop and decent design skills, but it's not my forte, ya know? Only skill level 5 of 10! ;)

I have a new puter coming Friday (hopefully), so maybe I'll fire up Photoshop on the new rig and see what I can come up with.

We need something smallish that can still be read ... block? rectangle?

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  5. Matthew James

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I went on a google book downloading spree (the free ones on turn of the century trading and census taking :oops:), and I actually loved one of the book covers that had a depiction of what looked like satellite orbits around the Earth in huge floppy "rings" which connected to a plane. For Kindle Sellers could a page be added that expands the page count and gives homage to LitRPG resources the author recommends? A page is a page, and if it expands on the design from the cover that would work too... not sure how exactly anal the Amazon folks are.

http://www.filmsite.org/titles-studiologos.html
    Something like the Universal Film logos? Maybe a dragon instead of a plane. Just spit balling!

6. Crowbaits

Crowbaits Level 9 (Burgler) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    England - not New - the old one across the pond
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wonder whether an heraldic device might be the thing.
    You know, like a shield with a coat of arms on it surrounded by a lettered strap with a buckle on it (actually a garter) with LitRPG on it.
    Have a look at the UK Queens (forget the beast's either side and the crest on top).
    The shield could be quite simple, just split in two halves (horizontally, vertically or diagonally it doesn't matter) one with a dragons claw clutching a sword, the other a hand holding a keyboard, or something completely different.

Just a thought.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  7. Matthew James

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Found the "logo" I was thinking of, not even a logo just the graphic on the report. Still those long lines transecting the globe right over the USA, with the USA highlighted, thats working for me. An American LitRPG logo? Not to exclude Crowbait, we can turn the globe a bit just for him so he can have his own... and zoom in. :D

Attached Files:

8. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe a shield with gaming buttons to make it look like a control pad?

9. Dawn Chapman

Dawn Chapman Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I love the idea. :) and I'd be happy to incorporate it on my cover somewhere.... if I'm allowed. haha

WildAzazel and Paul Bellow like this.
  10. Latetide

Latetide Halfway to Infinity LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Quite a good idea, just one thing to point out: It would be good to create a coloured and a greyscale version, so that different cover styles are supported. Therefore, the shape is much more important than the hue.

As for what it could be, the idea of the shild/controller combo is a great one, or something along the lines that clearly shouts GAME while at the same time somehow also says LITERATURE.
    Maybe a book with controller buttons, or book + mouse?

WildAzazel and Paul Bellow like this.
  11. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I dunno. I'd like to keep it simple.

Black box like on Domino Finn's cover with a +1 LRPG or something in it?

And, yeah, one design for dark colored covers and one for light covered covers is a good idea.

WildAzazel and Felicity Weiss like this.
  12. Zachariah Dracoulis

Zachariah Dracoulis God Emperor of LitRPG (I can be an egotist too) LitRPG Author Citizen

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hows abouts something like this?
    litpg logo.png

Paul Bellow likes this.
  13. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, but not the dice? Especially not fireball D6's that could be for craps too? lol

Maybe just a fat +1 up there?

I'd lose the shadow too - at small size, we want solid black text (sans-serif) to be somewhat legible?

Good start, tho!

Latetide and Zachariah Dracoulis like this.
  14. Daigon

Daigon Level 7 (Cutpurse) Beta Reader Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    First post wooo. How about the words Level Up with and vertical arrow through the u and 2nd L? Also could have litrpg in the arrow. Posting on my phone so I can make a pic.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Might be too much? Something that small you want simple, I think. Open to other opinions, tho.

Welcome to the site, btw!

16. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @Felicity Weiss is a genius, guys. What about these three symbols (black on white rectangle) for the solidarity brand / guild? I'm talking about the super small controller, super small book and super small thumbs up. Although in some foreign countries that's an insult? Still...Thoughts?

genius.JPG

17. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Or even your style with those three icons. I dunno. Thoughts?

18. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's all talk until someone makes an actual icon. Just sayin'!

Paul Bellow likes this.
  19. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Quick and dirty (and ugly) lol

quickdirty.jpg

20. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Paul Bellow likes this.