"Mama's" caravan?

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Hastur, Jun 30, 2020.

?

How many new villagers will the caravan have?

1. Less than 100

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 100 to 250

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. 250 to 500

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. More than 500

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  1. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also what professions to we think will there be?

2. Hastur

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What level is Mama and if she has a profession what is it?

3. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If mama has a profession it will be related to the administration skill or something very similar. Administrator as a profession seems likely. We should get a wide array of professionals and skilled amateurs. I voted for 500+ people on the caravan. My reasoning is that Mama would likely only leave herself if she felt there was nothing more she could do to benefit the non-humans of Yves. This likely means that many of the non-humans who felt before that things weren't completely hopeless have finally reached the point where they too would seek asylum. This will explain why the new caravan has a so many more professionals than the first wave, but this also means that the overall numbers for the caravan will be rather high. Also, Mama may once again find a number of disenfranchised humans seeking opportunity.

Mama will probably also bring a number of highly useful items including blueprints, schematics, and the equipment necessary to setup buildings like a sawmill because Mama is no fool.

4. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't think there will be many professionals in comparison to the total numbers. They are the most valuable workers, many times more than the unskilled and unprofessed, which means getting them out isn't going to be as easy. I do think Mama will bring a lot more people than others are assuming, she organised Law's lower labor class, as in thousands if not tens of thousands of people were influenced by her and her people.

She is also picking up people along the way. I imagine a few serfs will make a break for it if the carevan passes through their lands. A few nonhuman chaos seeds might use the caravan as a chance to get out of Yves

There is also the fact that she isn't coming by boat like every other time.

My guess, at least a thousand unskilled people that need serious training, and 10-20 professionals.

Probably not more than three thousand people.

Captain BlackJack and Waterhobit like this.
  5. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree it will be more than most people think. But there are only like 1,000 people in the MV currently. 166 of those are children. Adding >1000 people seems like it would be impossible right now unless they are bringing a large amount of food with them. Keep in mind that winter is coming. I suppose the dungeon can provide a fair amount of food for the village, even if it slows the dungeon growth, but even so, there has to be a limit to how many villagers can be fed that way.

Also, to add some perspective, the MV currently has 30 non-combat professionals including Richter and Randy. Plus 4 more on loan from the HT. So even just 20 more professionals and some soon-to-be professionals is a significant increase. Also, if those professionals cover new profession the MV doesn't currently have, or if they have knowledge of new blueprints schematics or templates, then they are doubly valuable. There are 9 combat professionals, but I didn't include them because they are much less likely to come from Yves, as they would likely be members of some organization.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  6. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I expect several professionals for each of the most common professions like smith and alchemist.
    We know we are getting a cloven hoofed Librarian
    Mama is likely a professed Administrator or something similar
    A professed Researcher, or a Scribe with research related talents/specialty/focus would be a huge boon

Other professions that might be useful or interesting:
    Thatcher, Sculptor, Surveyor
    Furrier, Leatherworker, Tanner
    Potter, Glazier, Wheelwright
    Animal-Handler (could help with Skaths, and maybe make use of the bat roost)
    Farrier, Woodworker/Furniture-Maker
    Book-Binder (could reduce the Scribes workload, and help maintain the library)
    Bladesmith (think unique bonuses applied to weapons and tools: +5% yield from fish on a filleting knife, +10% work speed on a skinning blade, +15% severity of bleeding applied to a rogue's daggers)
    Smuggler!
    Dentist, Midwife, Apothecary
    Butler, Miller, Cheese-maker, Vintner/Brewer

7. Hastur

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good thing the morale and loyalty has shot through the roof because this will bring it back big time. If Richter get's back prior to the caravan arriving he'd better get the building crew on a lot of long houses.

Farming the dungeon should be ok....I makes a crazy amount of DP/day now. Koran tuskers weight a few hundred pounds, right? Also dont' forget the farm's will be harvested prior to winter.

And finally wouldn't Mama be organized enough to bring a significant amount of food with them considering winter is on the way? Unless they are fleeing and cannot bring as much. Also the MV boat should be done by then and hopefully can do a food run.

Maybe Mama could be something like a profession coordinator...helps people raise there skills faster.

I voted 250-500 because that just seems like the amount of people that AK always brings in...though I agree that the MV needs many more people to stand a chance.

8. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes the harvest will come in before winter if the bug bears don't burn it down first. But they aren't growing enough food to feed half the kingdom of Yves. And not all creatures in the dungeon would be good eating like the tuskers.

9. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We will most likely see some more Mages, quite possibly some Adapts(+), and hopefully a few Adapts in Magics that they don't already have, like Air and Fire Adapts that can teach Richter new Spells in those Magics. Pretty unlikely to see any Blood, and also unlikely to see Thought or Spirit but one can hope.

Hopefully we will see some more people with Technique Styles that Richter can Learn, hopefully Bow, Spear and Unarmed Techniques and Styles. And maybe not just Combat Techniques but also Crafting ones as well?

Maybe a few exotic and rare Skills that Richter could learn as well?

ShoughtLoud and Waterhobit like this.
  10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That assumes Mama has an idea of the capability of the village to feed a refugee population and that if she does know has other options. Now that I think of it, does she know much of anything other than that Richter left and some others were picked up by boat(would have been common news in certain circles)?. If not, things may have taken a turn for the worse in Yves.

This is pure speculation, but I can only imagine that if she does not know the capabilities of the village - as seems likely - this is a complete roll of the dice, because there simply is no realistic chance of longterm survival in law for regular nonhumans (cultists sacrificing them, others selling them off as slaves, the occasional anti-nonhuman riots, assaults in the street, basically everything the non-wealthy and even sometimes the wealthy jews had to put up with in a medieval city right before a purge) and even for poorer humans things could have taken a bad turn.

I don't think Mama would leave unless things were boiling over and she decided to get as many out as she could while there is still time.

Its been several months since Richter visited Law, and even at that point it was clear that things were getting worse under the new king.

Captain BlackJack and Waterhobit like this.
  11. Hastur

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The more people that have left the worse it has become. Wasn't it the trading trip that Richter sent that there was many more refugees than expected? Also you think that the noble that Richter saved Isabella from didn't lock down on the population that he already controlled. No doubt that Mama is in now or never mode. Actually I'm surprised it is not already too late. Am I the only one that thinks this will lead to a confrontation with Yves....maybe not a full war but at least the forces of a couple of Dukes.

12. Gurston

Gurston Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The dukes send a force to chase the caravan and get it back but it is a bit behind and while trying to work out how to navigate the mists runs into the incoming hobgoblin army , hilarity ensues

13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Older and more conservative dukes putting their heels down on the general principle that "this is not how things are done" or "this is below the kingdom". Borderdukes with trade ties with neighboring nonhumans. "Primitive" dukedoms that still retain a sizeable nonhuman population. Lots of possible opposition.

Lots of reasons the king could have been slowed down to a slow but steady forward grind. Even an absolutist king has to listen to the concerns of the biggest nobles or risk them refusing to support his endeavors.

14. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There could be a real opportunity to undermine the xenophobic practices in Yves by offering to trade with Dukes who support and practice more inclusive policies.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  15. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Odd that the progressives are the ones with the slavery policy. How do they bring back the conservative anti-slavery policies?

16. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Generally? A giant ass whooping

17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's what I find a little funny here. But in truth historically many european nations got rid of slavery at home centuries before the colonies did. Some might say serfdom replaced it in most of Europe, but for the most part serfs had greater rights than slaves.

For some reintroducing slavery in the colonies was a revival of a practice that no longer existed at home.

18. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I heard that too, but it was before they even had colonies. Slavery mostly stopped in Europe by 1300. I recall some priest saying that Christianity was sent to end slavery in Europe. I mostly blame it coming back on that Portugal trading company and their idea of a trade agreement with the Kongo King for war captives. But let's not go down that discussion.

Maybe the chaos seeds will work hard against it. Unless slavery returned after WWIII in other parts of the world.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Captain BlackJack and Dragon like this.
  19. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Serfs had technically more rights (although they were still bound to the land they lived on) but often where worth less then slaves because they couldn't be sold and so could actually be treated worse.

20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes, some nations had surplus populations and therefore workers were worth less, thereas in the colonies there was a constant need for workers, which was filled by slaves. Those slaves did fetch high prices. But the reason those slaves could be sold at such a high price was usually (the trade in beautiful young slave girls had other factors involved) the fact that they could be put to work in fields and mines in order to make money. Serfs on the other hand were usually put to work in the fields farming the land and generating value, usually without the need for expensive oversight. In the medieval age, owning lands and serfs was the main source of revenue. Most nobles understood almost instinctively that land and serfs translated into money and power.

What could be done to them was just a question of whether laws were enforced or not. Sometimes they were, other times the noble had free reign. Not that different from today really, if the government lacks the power to enforce laws, people can do as they please. Some people are messed up enough to commit atrocities given the chance to do so without consequence thereas most others don't need a Damocles' sword hanging over their heads to stay on the straight and narrow.