Narrating your own audiobook?

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Joshua Mason, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Joshua Mason

Joshua Mason Steam Whistle Alley LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Does anyone here know of anyone who's done this? We have a small studio in our basement and there's something fulfilling about voicing your own characters I would think.

Alexis Keane likes this.
  2. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It sounds like fun, as long as you have The VoiceTM for it. I love the idea of it, but there's also a lot that can go wrong.

Jay and Joshua Mason like this.
  3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

88%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It is both the voice and knowing the software/editing skill. Having a studio is an important element in the equation.

Joshua Mason and Alexis Keane like this.
  4. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't know. Thing about voice acting is that you have to actually project the acting part. otherwise it's just a guy/girl in a booth reading off a script in semi-monotone... or worse, like they're tugging the kids for bed which I can assure you adults hate.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Alexis Keane likes this.
  5. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, although you could just troll a little with tucking in the kids for bed style at the start (complete with chiming music). Especially if the beginning is graphic violence and gore.

Joshua Mason likes this.
  6. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's the acting part of it XD
    though the one I find really annoying is the echo effect they put in there sometimes when the characters are having an inner monologue.

Alexis Keane and Joshua Mason like this.
  7. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh dear god... anything but that...

Joshua Mason likes this.
  8. Joshua Mason

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    After listening to DJ's Gamer for Life I think the only thing that worries me is voicing the sexy females without sounding too male. "Do ye be likin ye steu, master?" Peter Berkrot pulled it off well in DJ's audible book -maybe I can have him give me some pointers to release my inner minx.

Alexis Keane likes this.
  9. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Elongate your vowel sounds, rising intonation at the end of your words, raise to a higher pitch - even if you go down the husky route... use greater variation in pitch and stress certain words more than others... From what I can see, the biggest mistake is in going falsetto or going so breathy that you sound like a wheezing balloon.
    Listen to Jeff Hays, on soundbooth theatre or whatever its name is... he does it well.

Joshua Mason likes this.
  10. Joshua Mason

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [QUOTE="Listen to Jeff Hays, on soundbooth theatre or whatever its name is... he does it well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm listening to Life Reset at the moment - Jeff Hays does the narration. I see what you mean about the vowel sounds - extending them without over pronouncing the words. I also like how he incorporates sound effects, and applies filters to the voices to make them sound as if on a telephone or from an old timey recording.

Alexis Keane likes this.
  11. David Penchyk

David Penchyk Level 4 (Warrior) LitRPG Author Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Taking notes.

It sounds, Joshua, like you're well set up to begin narrating your own audiobook.

Joshua Mason likes this.