Vassalage in practice

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

2. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I feel that they might be unique due to the hidden aspect of their village. It is already land locked inside its own protection. So it will also be land locked inside the mist chiefdom.

So if they wanted land outside their borders, they would have to lease land from the liege Lord or swear fealty and be given land after some quest or act was performed.

For the sprites, how many village levels would it take to touch the boarders of the HT? Or does it not matter. What I do know is that the MV can't protect the HT, and probably won't be able to for a long long time.

3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree the HT won't come under the rule of Richter for quite a while, he simply doesn't have the political, economic or military power for such a union to make sense at this time, not with the mist village as first amongst equals which is what he would desire. If anything the mist village should be HM's vassal. They are already part of her sphere of influence, no doubt HM has quite a few political advantages that she never tells Richter about. Such as the mist village being a reliant state, with the HT receiving bonuses to relationship and diplo point gains.

I do think Richter will be able to expand his realm rapidly though, either vassalizing or absorbing the three remaining minor tribes within his borders, while also reaching out to those living within 10 miles of them, laying the groundwork for a second wave of expansion.

Richter's tendency towards integrating refugees/ slaves into his society regardless of species or race should help reassure those terrified of humans that he does not operate the same way the kingdom or its poachers do (thats going to come up again at some point, with Yves making it really difficult for Richter to win certain nonhuman factions over. Now that I think about it, its a miracle HM diden't have Richter killed on sight after what those humans almost did to her son).

Mister Bill likes this.
  4. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My math says a combined 10 levels would be enough. That would allow them both to reach level 5 before their claims overlap. What will probably happen well before village level 5 is that Richter starts growing his bond with his pop and receives a boost to mist-range. The kindir tea seems to imply that the bond can be grown stronger, the increased range would be one obvious benefit.

Yet another reason mistlord was the best evolution, Richter probably would have been able to increase the range of the mists far further.

5. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Will he ever start referring to the MV as “Kirimuratq.” it might unlock some secret quest. Say 'Legacy of the Kirimuratq Empire', where he is given the quest to bring back to power the mist empire.

6. 2tymes

2tymes Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You think mist lord was the better choice? How so. I would have to go back and see but wasn’t he unable to leave the mv with that tier 2 upgrade. Plus no bloodline perk.

7. Commander Azure

Commander Azure Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Mistlord had a lot of potential but Chaos Lord was just so much better

Mister Bill likes this.
  8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Basically, it was focused entirely around the mist and the village.
    + 50% spell strength for all spells related to the four powers. Most likely mist constructs are included
    - 50% to cost of all spells related to the four powers. Most likely mist constructs are included, meaning he can double the number of mist workers he can summon.
    - 50% damage from physical attacks.
    further increases to pop can drastically increase strength, meaning that as the pop grows stronger, so does the mist lord.

He can leave the mist for short periods, but his body starts to degrade. Most likely he could have left for longer and longer periods as he grew stronger. Lack of a bloodline is more than made up for by the racial advantages.

This is basically an insanely OP caster class (archmage in a tower he never leaves is the image I have in mind) with resistance to physical attacks, meaning meele fighters and sneaks are largely useless against it.

Additionally, given the nature of the evolution, he would have been returned to the village. There has to be some kind of failsafe ensuring you aren't killed by the evolution itself.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Mister Bill and ShoughtLoud like this.
  9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How?

10. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think actually the opposite, chaos lord has potential, and when we get vassals it should expand a bit. Mist lord has concrete immediate benefits, but also big draw backs

11. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I felt that the Mist Lord being will come around again. With how he examines it, it seems like he will encounter someone that he will recognize because of similarities with the Mist Lord.

An interesting aspect of that evolution is that the specific ambient magyk the PoP provides, and that form requires, has changed. The Dungeon is pumping out refined ambient Mana of sometypes, that would change the mixture.

Andrew Lynas and ShoughtLoud like this.
  12. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe Richtær will meet a Mist Elemental. Which will be added to the well not harem exactly but orgy.

13. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    She looked at him in surprise, then smiled a bit bashfully. She rose to the challenge though. After straightening her small back, her four multicolored wings vibrated faster than his eyes could follow. Formally she stated, “Lord Richter, as your vassal and caretaker of the Quickening, I ask that you allow myself and my children to partake of the fruit of this celestial tree.”

14. 2tymes

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The vassals goes without saying and is by far the best benefit. 100 chaos point per level. Always getting to go 1 level higher in the sea of chaos. Bloodline... 9 ranks as opposed to 5. Aura upgrade which we know is why so much happens around him now that’s more beneficial. Legendary tier as opposed to rare. Not being stuck in the mist village. Not being ghost”ish”...

Cire122 and ShoughtLoud like this.
  15. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And also possibly getting some other random upgrade to mind soul or body (and possibly multiple depending on the quest turn out)

16. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm betting that he will at least get a Spell that allows him to Mimic the Mist Form (Mist/Vapour/Gaseous Body/Walking Spell) or at least a Magic Item, and possibly even some type of ability like capability similar game in a Misty Form in time.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He will earn thousands of points fighting other chaos seeds either way not to mention chaos shards from the dungeon. Now he has a massive point sink attached to him that it will take years to fill if he ever wants to achieve another evolution - no doubt the next evolution will cost even more to advance in rank, assuming it follows the same trend as the first one. It takes 2 months for one chaos seed with chaotic (1) to generate 100 chaos points, and thousands of points to take one step forward as a chaos lord. The liege vassal page is likely going to be another point sink, with various enhancements at the low, low cost of even more chaos points. Then there are Richter's vassals who will expect to be paid, no doubt with items from the sea of chaos. At the very least a dagger to finish off enemy chaos seeds or send them for an extended vacation to the sea of chaos, if not higher quality gear that the village cannot provide.

At best he will be able to draw more random loot from the sea of chaos, which is good up to a point. Is it worth +50 % to spellstrength for four powers with the added benefit of those spells being half cost? Not in my eyes, the bonuses were insane, especially if they stack with gear and skillbonuses.

Now ill admit chaos lord probably is the strongest evolution as it allows Richter to put together a crack team of chaos seeds (assuming he can find any that are both useful for combat and trustworthy enough to invest in. Lots of people won't want to kill for real and the ones who do will have to be sorted into the white knights, the neutral and the Hemans) that he can use as champions on the battlefield. Where he will find the chaos points for equipment while also advancing in rank and buying upgrades is anyone's guess.

Edit: This has been added to and edited because it seemed a touch confrontational.

Cire122 and Commander Azure like this.
  18. 2tymes

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He gets strength to spell strength and reduced cost by advancing in that particular spell school right. He got both of those by unlocking his powers. Couple that with the fact he can live for a very long time he could eventually be a grandmaster. Plus each ley line is only level one. Would level 2 not give him additional spell strength and reduced cost? And as u brought up the tea made front the root also said it would help his connection with the village. My thoughts is he’s going to be ridiculously powerful anyway and can get all the benefits of mist lord without picking that tier

19. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    But now he has a chance for passive income that doesn't require him kill every chaos seed he meets. And stronger higher energy spells from chaos.

Also with how he gets excess chaos points for his blessing coupled with his choice? It really won't take that long to max out his ranks. Under a year easy if he can snag just 2 vassals with chaotic alignments of +3

20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My guess is that it would come before other bonuses, meaning it does not stack. I doubt he would get racial bonuses unique to elementals as a human, though he may be able to unlock some things an elemental lord would unlock almost automatically through effort. Losing hat 50% reduction to physical attacks smarts as well, especially as it would likely have worked against indirect magical attacks that use the environment. Combined with maxed out spell resistance from wisdom he could have been as close to immune as it is possible to be.