Wow. Just, wow.

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by CheshirePhoenix, Sep 17, 2017.

1. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So I think I've finally found something worse than the spellcheck-as-sole-editor pet peeve of mine.

The google-translate-as-localizer pet peeve. Behold, a blurb!

The book is titled Dungeons in the Wild

2. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

"After all heat of the earth is necessary for all - without it there is no life, the field will not give rise, the cattle does not breed, and women cannot conceive children ... To burn"

Was it written by Darren Aronosky?

3. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nah. Apparently it's one of those robobook things - I was looking for a dungeon Core book and searched for "dungeon" and filtered by KU. There's a metric ton of books up there that are exactly the same - and all published in the last couple of days.

So either it's an experiment in machine writing, some literal spy vs spy coded message nonsense, or it's just a naked attempt to scam the KU system to sucker some people into giving them money.

I'm half tempted to download one and read it anyway just to see how actually terrible it is; which is probably exactly what the scammer is hoping for, I imagine.

Matthew James likes this.
  4. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Jeez, that made feel like I had a stroke.

5. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    BTW CheshirePhoenix I think you posted a list of recommended dungeon core books, I couldn't find it when I went looking - could you possibly send me your recs? I'm having surgery in a month or so and I'm stocking up on stuff to read while I'm flat on my back :)

6. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A Living Dungeon (standalone novel, recommended)
    Divine Dungeon (two books so far, HIGHLY recommended)
    Slime Dungeon Chronicles (trilogy, so far? Haven't read it but I'd like to. It's not on KU though. )
    Dark Dungeon (two books so far, not really my cuppa so I can't recommend it. Keep in mind that I may have different tastes than you, but I really don't care for pointless sex scenes, especially poorly written/wish fulfillment sex scenes)
    Ancient Dreams (trilogy, highly recommended)
    Reborn as a Dungeon Core (two books so far, haven't read them - the blurb and reviews turned me off of them)
    The Laboratory: a Futuristic Dungeon Core (coming in September, not out yet so haven't read it)
    Dungeon Core (book one is due out in October)
    Dungeon Hive Trilogy (one book so far, not KU so I haven't read it)
    Eondrias Book One: a New Master of Dungeons (one book so far with more to come. Read it, it was kinda meh and had some terrible technical flaws like the find&replace error I mentioned in the typo thread. Also kinda boring since nothing really happens. Not recommended unless you're super bored or feeling masochistic)

Pretty sure there's more, but my ability to search for things on Kindle is poor, to say the least. I just do a search for "Dungeon" and scroll past all of the terrible BDSM novels as they crop up.

Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  7. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Reminds me of this time at a video store when DVDs were coming in. You could rent VHS tapes two for a dollar. Well, one time I rented like seven (more?) with time in the title. Everything. Well, something happened and they were late. When I made it back to the video store, they let it slide a few times. Eventually they called me out, and I was like, "What movies? I don't remember them. Can you name them."

And the poor checkout woman was like, "Time BAndits, Time Cops, Time Barbarians, Time and Time Again..." etc. Heh.

Viergacht and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  8. Viergacht

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Much appreciated! (and yes, I was hoping to avoid the fetishy stuff LOL)

9. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would arguably add chronicles of a royal ooze not actually in a dungeon but the basic tone is similar to most others a non human entity defends itself and others from attempted attacks and grows with each enemy killed

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  10. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh, you think that was bad...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3,000-page books of worthless noise. Literally, there's nothing but gibberish. And note that these are now only 3,000 pages when they used to 10,000 or even 20,000 pages. How convenient that happens when Amazon limits KENPC potential to the first 3,000 pages.

Well, that's not exactly true.

"yaormuvuad" is an epic novel that is 4156 pages long. Here's the riveting blurb:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  11. Viergacht

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hey now, my cats put in a lot of hard work jumping on the keyboard to write that.

12. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wonder if you stole yaormuvuad for something, would they try and sue?

13. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It does sound kinda like the main antagonist’s name in a Norse epic, dunnit.

Seagrim and Viergacht like this.