[07/02/17] Life in the North: The System Apocalypse Book 1

Discussion in '2017 LitRPG Books' started by Paul Bellow, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    B073PNL3BP.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg All John wanted to do was get away for his life in Kluane National Park for a weekend. Hike, camp and chill. Instead, the world comes to an end in a series of blue boxes, animals start evolving and monsters start spawning. Now, he has to survive the apocalypse, get back to civilisation and not lose his mind.

Life in the North is Book 1 of the System Apocalypse, a LitRPG Apocalypse book that combines modern day life, science fiction and fantasy elements along with game mechanics.

http://amzn.to/2ugxUrQ

2. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'll have to add this to my list of things to read.

3. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    From the blurb I didn't think I'd enjoy this nearly as much as I did. I'm not normally one for post-apocalyptic fiction (ESPECIALLY zombies, which aren't anywhere near this book), but again - I ran out of other things to read.

It surprised me quite a bit. It definitely has flaws, like the Monty Haul beginning, some high school level drama (perfectly justified in universe though), and some odd conventions, but practically all of that is justified by the world building. It all fits and makes sense in universe, and that covers a multitude of sins.

The writing and pacing were good and it didn't leave me hanging. Instead, it left me looking forward to the next book.

4. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I loved the shopping scenes. DNA augmentation? Sweeeet.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  5. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ha, yeah. And how much they dread seeing the MCs sidekick after his first visit.

Felicity Weiss likes this.