A list of LitRPG books that have broken into Top 100.

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Jayden, May 21, 2017.

1. Tfish10065

Tfish10065 Level 9 (Burgler) LitRPG Author Citizen

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sorry @PaulBellow I didn't see your post until now. I'm certainly not trying to scam Amazon or do anything Black Hat. But, I would hope most authors are also readers. I say that tongue in cheek because I know some writers who hardly read at all. Having said that: it just seems logical that we would support our own genre and our own tribe. Actually, reviewing wasn't the real intent of my post.

I'd like to think we're all friends here. I read Goblin and I also left a review (not under my real name) as I never post my real name on very many sites. But, if I saw a typo or a paragraph that didn't make sense to me, I feel comfortable enough to private message you and tell you. I would hope you and other members here would feel comfortable enough with me to do the same and also private message me.

And, that was more along the lines of my logic.

I see your concerns as I know Amazon corrected a payout from a few months ago because there were some authors (maybe in erotica if I'm not mistaken) who scammed the system by publishing books with outrageously massive page reads. When Amazon caught it, they banned the authors and adjusted payouts. So, from that point of view, I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort.

Latetide and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Tfish10065

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have hope that one day it will be possible to break the Top 100. I've seen books and authors go viral for one reason or another over the years. In reality, I think we fixate on the Top 100 (in all genres) way too much. My experience tells me writers can make a good living and never hit the Top 100 or get that little orange best seller tag.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd rather have a book that parks itself at #1000 rank for months, and months, and years, even. ;)

And no worries on the black-hat stuff. I didn't think that's what you were inferring. I'm just really careful about Amazon because she can be such a harsh mistress - like the moon.

4. Tfish10065

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There's nothing wrong with a book sitting >1,000 and making a steady income. Some authors think they have to be in the top 100 of a certain genre or sub to make some decent cash, but that simply isn't true. I know plenty of writers who never become big names, but they consistently publish. Their collective catalogs make them enough money to write full-time and have enough left money to spend on marketing. I am sort of in this boat. And, I'm very careful that my marketing budget doesn't exceed a certain amount on one book or pen name. You're only as good as your last book, and one marketing mistake (if it's bad enough) can wipe you out, if you aren't careful.

5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I hear you. A few of my clients spend up to a grand a day on ads... They make it back, though, of course... usually 50%+ ROI.

You're right in that most people don't realize the people writing full-time are (mostly) just publishing consistently and not hitting any homers. (Pun intended? Small smile.)

My romance back catalog has been helping give me time to dive into LitRPG this year.

Eden Redd and Tfish10065 like this.
  6. Latetide

Latetide Halfway to Infinity LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As a reader constantly looking for new books to read, I am happy to offer help with reading and helping to point out unclear parts or logical issues. Happy to show the first part of my book as well, if anyone is interested.

7. Michael_Chatfield

Michael_Chatfield Level 4 (Warrior) LitRPG Author Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think one of the greatest parts in this community is the fact that readers will come out and tell me where I messed up. It's the biggest thing I can use to improve my books and my art.
    Now what you're proposing with the top 100 is that by genre or by overall store ranking?

8. Daigon

Daigon Level 7 (Cutpurse) Beta Reader Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lol. I'm doing my best to boost their numbers. Right now I'm averaging 2 - 3 books a week being read.

9. Tfish10065

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    By genre and then sometimes I break it down into into subs if I see a trend.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  10. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If I hardcore it, I can generally read a large book in two days. Never really tracked HOW large though. Hrm. I don't consider myself a speed reader whatsoever, more like a voracious consumer. glomp.gif

11. Tfish10065

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    For years I've studied speed reading ever since I read an article back in 1980 talking about how Jimmy Carter encouraged his Cabinet members to take the Evelyn Wood course. Over the years, I've adopted my own style and methods based on the genre of the book and why I needed to read it. EyeQ is a wonderful program. I bought it years ago, but I've never updated the software. There are times, based on my mood and how interested I am in the book where I can read 1,500 words a minute and finish a normalized 500-page book in about 4 hours.

If I'm editing for others, it is certainly much slower. If I'm line editing, it's even slower than that because I'm looking for specific things. I edit a little differently than most of the editors I knew in my former job. I read it as if a serial reader (binge reader) would consume it. I have my reasons for doing this. But, sadly, I don't edit my own books well. I'm sure most of the authors here understand why we can't and shouldn't edit or own work.

The TL;DR - invest in some decent KU books on speed reading. Maybe some software like RocketReader or EyeQ and in my opinion it would help you tremendously over time as you further your writing career.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  12. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thank you, I certainly am intrigued. To KU!

Paul Bellow and Tfish10065 like this.
  13. Tfish10065

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    For lack of a better way to say it, I tend to write in a format geared toward serial readers. So, far (knock on wood) it seems to work for KU as most of those readers download several books at a time, not just one. Those readers also, from my calculations on my spreadsheet, are the least likely to leave a review unless they feel like they have a personal connection to you. Like friending them on Facebook or thanking them for retweeting one of your tweets.

Paul Bellow and Felicity Weiss like this.
  14. Matthew Sylvester

Matthew Sylvester Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yep, Amazon really hates authors reviewing authors within the same genre. And when an a reviewer is receiving payments through their reviews, they REALLY dislike that. In fact, it's against their terms and can see reviewers having every review they've written removed from the site.

Tfish10065 likes this.
  15. Tfish10065

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I picked up a couple of your LitRPG books. I'll read them over the weekend. I won't leave a review. LOL In fact, in my whole life as an Amazon customer, I can count on one hand the number of times I've left a review. I also liked your Facebook author page. Surely, that isn't against Amazon's terms of service. :)

Paul Bellow likes this.
  16. Matthew Sylvester

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Funnily enough, people have actually been stung by being connected on Facebook! Seriously, a reviewer had friended their favourite author. Somehow, Amazon then found that out and said that they had a relationship! Even providing links can be tricky if you don't trim them as the string contains a unique id!

Paul Bellow likes this.
  17. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The algos are watching!

18. Matthew Sylvester

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin: