WOOT About to pitch a TV show; Questions for fellow writers...

Discussion in 'TV and Movies' started by Kyle Noe, May 10, 2018.

1. Kyle Noe

Kyle Noe Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

70%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    CAVEAT: The show isn't necessarily LitRPG, but I'm hoping to create one in the future, and I wouldn't have been able to improve the current pitch without the gems of advice I've learned from perusing THE FORUM!

This is my fifth time through the process. I've sold two that weren't made, but at least I got paid, lol. This time I'm partnered with a production company and co-writer under contract. The reason for this thread is to ask advice from all of you. Outside of personal connections, this forum is the only place I've found where the advice is incredibly helpful.

Here are the question(s) -

What would you like to see in a show that hasn't been done?

What's a novel that should be a show, yet isn't?

What do you think could be better in mystery type stories?

What's a novel character that would make a good TV character?

Any other thoughts?

Windfall, Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sweet. Congrats! Good luck.

Kyle Noe likes this.
  3. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

Explore one of the other ‘punks - steampunk, dieselpunk, etc. We have seen cyberpunk (and quite a bit of it), but it’s rarely ever done well or lasts long.

Gonna go with the Witcher novels, here. It was a short-lived tv series in Poland, and was objectively terrible. I’m pretty sure that, with the huge success of the game franchise and other vaguely similar fantasy concept franchises, it could be done - and done well - by one of the streaming services here in the US.

The formula needs to be thrown out on its ear. I can guess just by when a character is introduced whether they’re the antagonist or not.

There’s too many to list. But sticking with Sapkowski, I’d go with Geralt of Rivia and his adopted daughter, Ciri.

Kyle Noe and Paul Bellow like this.
  4. Dawn Chapman

Dawn Chapman Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Congrats, and good luck. I came out of screenwriting because although selling the 'greenlit hell' stage was a killer and I hated it. :) I help run facebooks largest though not very active script group, and know all the ins and outs. The script world is very tough! :) again good luck.

Kyle Noe and Paul Bellow like this.
  5. WarbVIII

WarbVIII Level 6 (Footpad) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    good believable characters,as in do things that make sense and are not super at some things,or hell have common sense.
    none I would rather have original stuff,but if forced I would go with the Wild Cards anthology
    plans that would actually work?? It doesn't have to be over complicated if you muddy the waters so to speak and have people looking left while the plan goes to the right.
    I am guessing you mean from a Novel? unsure...so many are out there...I know this is more comic book,but that version of the Question

Kyle Noe likes this.
  6. Kyle Noe

70%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @CheshirePhoenix I would love it if they took a chance on steampunk and dieselpunk. A couple buddies just sold an animated show to Netflix, maybe I can suggest they take on the cause of a LitRPG steampunk. That'd be pretty cool. I'd watch that.

I have a feeling Sapkowski is involved in negotiations in one way or another. I'm curious what stands out to you specifically about Ciri. I recognize that she's a great character, but is there something about her that makes her ring more interesting to you?

You're SO RIGHT about being able to spot the antagonist too easily. I really feel like there could be more howdunit instead of whodunit. I'm going to try and emphasize that. Thank you! It would also be nice if they returned to more of a golden age in mystery structure. The issue I've run into is that some execs express that they're afraid there isn't enough repeatable formula when I go that direction. That's actually the whole point. Each episode and story arc should have some surprise to it. *sigh*

@Dawn Chapman which screenwriting groups do you run? I'd like to follow them if it's cool. I'm actually getting some useful insight from Zero Draft Thirty. Agreed on greenlit hell. I had one project in limbo for a year because the producer wanted to change studios. It was the right move, but a YEAR! I've been lucky in that most of my work has been consulting, so it's less of a selling issue for me ... usually. I actually was thinking of getting out, because the 'in development' stage can be rough. I totally agree. Yet, as long as it doesn't take away from my reading time, I'm going to keep the door open. I like the collaborative process too.

@WarbVIII Wild Cards by G.R.R. Martin? I also agree and think it would be nice if the 'red herrings' were less convoluted. I feel like it requires connecting the mystery arcs together in a way that the mysteries and solutions are more related and connected. I'm not a hundred percent on how to do that best though. I honestly want for viewers to feel like they're solving puzzles and playing games, not that different from why I love LitRPG. I wish there were a simple way to communicate that better.

@Paul Bellow Thank you for allowing off-the-wall inquires like this! You're awesome. I guess I kind of wish other genres had the it-feels-like-playing-a-game vibe that LitRPG has.

7. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sapkowski has a terrible case of too-big-for-his-britches-itis. He honestly thinks the Witcher video game trilogy’s success is due to the books, rather than the other way around. This is in spite of all of the evidence to the contrary, including ... yanno, time itself.

He is involved in negotiations, which is why there hasn’t been any hint of a project announcement at all. Sapkowski demanded, and received, nearly full creative control as an EP on the terrible Witcher series that had a short run on Polish network TV. He’s probably demanding the same from everyone who’s been sniffing around for their own GoT level breakout fantasy series, and he’s fairly radioactive so I imagine I’m not too far off the mark here.

Ciri embodies the whole “f*ck you I’ll do it anyway” mentality. “Only boys can be Witchers? Well, f*ck you, so can I. You need the trial of the grasses? Ha, as if. Wait, who said you need silver to kill monsters? Watch me rip apart this werewolf king with a steel sword, or this fork tail - pretty much nothing recovers from a beheading. Oh, the Wild Hunt is after me? I’ll take care of them right after I finish taking vengeance on that traitorous bastard...” etc.

Not only does she kick names and take ass, she’s driven, determined, and when she sets her mind on something, that something - whatever it may be - is as good as done. She’s strong without being superhuman, and ultimately she’s believable. If I had a daughter, I could think of about 7 billion worse role models for her.

Kyle Noe likes this.
  8. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Netflix announced that the Witcher series is about to begin filming... Was I the only one that heard of this?

Kyle Noe and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  9. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I must’ve missed that then? Because holy hells, YES!

10. Kyle Noe

70%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Love this! Thank you.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.