All things Dungeon

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Aug 4, 2020.

1. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just gives us things to postulate about. Hopefully we get some more answers (even just one would be nice) by christmas time

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  2. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Honestly, I would love if AK would do some AMA's and provide an official explanation of some of this stuff.

3. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well that’s just horrible because Ricthers ruined keep is built on top of his PoP! It must be an over sight that he gets bonuses.

I’m not sure where you get your opinions either. Your limitations are the ones that you want for the story. AK hasnt pronounced any limits as of yet.

Tell me where does it say he can place an entrance? Then tell me where does it say he can’t place one?

I thought it said that they could only guide the dungeon.

Hey Drag, accordingly to previous conversations you don’t think that Ricther can place a entrance around the Sepulcher or the Kinders Settlement.

Didn’t you say Ricther had NO claim to the “Kinder lands”? Wasn’t that part of your argument? For some reason I am thinking you said that wasn’t part of the Mist or part of Ricthers domain.

I thought you said that was the Kinders ancestoral lands and the new Lord of the Mist didn’t have a claim to it.

You had corrected me for calling it a squatters settlement and said it was a ancient town way bigger then Ricthers Mist Village.

So according to your prior opinion the Kinder cat have a entrance either. Maybe Ricther will help guide the dungeon to placing a entrance between the long houses or between the forge and cauldron. I suppose he could put one between the out houses. That could be bad though. Walking to the restroom half asleep and step through into the dungeon while dropping your britches. Something could really get bit off like that!

4. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well that’s not happening. You might get a shout out but no real answers. Catch him live and ask him anything!

5. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Amen brother!

6. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Dungeon is physically placed within Richter's domain, it is on top of the pop. An entrance is not.

Well isn't that what we are all doing? Arguing for our own view of where things are going? I might as well ask, where does it say an entrance can be placed anywhere? Neither is confirmed. Neither is indicated by anything other than the Dungeon in Law having all entrances within the city. If it could have been placed anywhere, I'd expect the Dungeon to throw its net as wide as possible. But again its all speculative.

No I did not. I said they have a claim at least as strong if not stronger than Richter's, who established his realm six months earlier. How is that equal to saying he has no claim whatsoever? He has a claim as lord of the domain. The kindir have a stronger claim IMO as the actual residents of the areas they have inhabited for millennia. Two factions can have competing claims.

Richter solved it by accepting the kindir as a vassal state with it own territories that are also part of the mist chiefdom. In other words, the kindir state owns the land, and the mist chiefdom controls the kindir state (to some extent).

I don't remember you calling it a squatters settlement.

A settlement a quarter-mile across is just a smidge bigger than the mist settlement. It also has what seemed to be the remains of a city wall - might just be a magical protection though - and quite a few homes built on top of little hills, that are likely ruins of some kind. Close by is the ruins of their sepulcher, it makes sense to me that it would have been within the bounds of the old city or on the outskirts. In a way the current day kindir are squatters, but they are squatters living in the ruins of their ancestors' kingdom.

The mist village and the kindir kingdom both having a territorial claim on a land area has no impact on whether that land area is within ten miles of the pop. It is, hence it would be part of the domain even if the kindir had refused to entertain the idea of vassalage and therefore it is subject to the powers of the mist.

Please don't tell me what my opinion is. I don't mind clarifying my opinion but you should know by now its far from static, it evolves as people come up with compelling arguments or quotes from the books.

Waterhobit likes this.
  7. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes, i also remember (possibly incorrectly) that the seepage will raise the mana levels in the area. Making it possible for higher level materials to exist. Of course that could have been me confusing the fairy ring and the dungeon but I think it was said about both.

8. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No, you got it right. The Dungeons raise the ambient mana levels in the surrounding lands, through mana seepage. They (the Dungeons) even refine the mana a bit, which I guess means there's going to be a point where raw /unrefined mana just isn't gonna be good enough for something or someone.

9. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think the Dungeons first absorb the ambient mana. As they do they grow and learn. When they learn those energies they absorb they refine them. As they grow and fill full of those energies they leak back into the Land. That seepage back into the land is a more refined form of those energies flowing back as ambient mana.

I mentioned on the prior site that I believe all magic radiates energy. That’s my explaination for monsters being drawn toward magical items or magic itself. Even their coins radiate that magical feeling that guarantees its real. All magic seems to have a feeling. Magical items will also fluoresce and give off light. I believe those are signs of the Magic’s ambient radiation.

Those ambient fields of radiating magic I don’t think only draw monsters. I believe that’s what draws the labyrinth to new dungeons. That field of magical energy is what natural bends the spider web of node roads to connect and realign.

Dungeons want to feed from or be apart of those other magical fields. That is the dungeons number one desire to feed and grow. Unless there is another force acting on Ricthers dungeon it should willingly bend toward the Hall of Elemental Hunters on its own. I don’t know of another dungeon any closer or between those two. With a bit of help from Ricther and Randy guiding the dungeon they will make a connection. Ricther might have to fight through the Labyrinth into the HoEH then some how spike or signal to make a entrance. Then again Aleron could put a thousand dungeons between the two and they might not ever form a direct connection. To me the capability to create inter dimensional spaces and two new entrances seems like a quick fix for two issues. That way the story line will continue without having to divest more time into other works. Allowing Aleron to finish the two request in granting access. One access to the dungeon in general the other access to the HoEHs.

10. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's possible that Refined Mana is just Unaligned Ambient Mana that has been refined into Elemental Mana of some type (in the case of the Barrow Chaos, Blood and the PoP Me a types, more as other Magic is Awakened in the Dungeon)? Or maybe it's just strengthened in someway?.

11. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It wouldn't surprise me if there are tiers of mana, just as there are different tiers of everything else. If so mana refinement might refer to a proces that turns tier x mana into tier x+1 mana. Higher tiered materials, plants, creatures, and so one may need them for rapid growth.

As for the need for mana to sustain higher metals that has been mentioned in regards to the mine, not other areas. I'm thinking the mine grows the metal and needs sufficient mana of the right type/ tier to do so effectively. Higher tiers of materials can still be imported though and seem to exist just fine.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  12. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So you believe that the higher mana released by the dungeon only effects the metals in the mine?

13. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Definitely not, higher ambient mana levels effect everything. If tier 2 metals exist in an area than tier 2 plants and animals can as well. Higher mana levels could possibly effect the villagers as well, With great affinities and possibly abilities. Pretty sure that part is Still speculation though.

14. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dark, I believe that 110% !

I don’t think there should be any speculation at that. How is it that ambient mana would only affect one thing? We are told about how it increases the amounts of monsters and beast. We are also told how the will become bigger and stronger. Sometimes I think everyone has forgotten the failed hearth tree.

Honestly if I were Ricther I would seriously look for another seedcore. The things I could achieve with two extra seed cores. A monster machine like right out of Hana-Barbera cartoons. Well it would be a bit slower but I do have ideas that would speed it up. A seed core for a dungeon tree farm would be happening to. Cutting the reproduction time drastically for new seed cores to be grown. Not only that but what would a Hearth Tree growing in the dungeon do for its powers?

The ambient mana from a hearth tree inside the dungeon would be like nitrous oxide added to a muscle car.

15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That was not what I was going for at all. We know that the dwarves occasionally find darkstone in their elementum mines/ deposits, a tier 2 metal. I'd dare a guess that Richter could find deposits of tier 2 metals within the mist domain created by the powers, similar to the way they created a moonstone deposit.

This is my way of saying I don't think a certain level or type of mana is required for those metals to exist. Instead its required for them to be created.

The Mine should have been emptied out in the old days as should the quarry. There have been empires based out of the area going back at least 40 thousand years to the time when Futen was last active. They would long since have emptied out a real world mine or quarry, the way Richter mined out the moonstone ore deposit he found. So, and I've raised this possibility before, the mine must somehow have been replenished. Or the Mine uses ambient mana to replenish itself similar to the way the crystal mine grows when fed souls, appropriate given that the crystal is used together with souls. Hence without death mana no death metals. Without sufficient mana to use, no high tier metals, only iron and the occasional bit of copper.

On a side note, we have the testimony from one of the dwarven miners that he had found a copper vein in an area he had already searched. This happened after Richter had one of his lucky breaks, I believe one that would grant extra resources.

16. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No doubt.

So with that in mind. When Ricther is on a hunt like he was when they found the moonstone vein. Should they not start looking for that source of that mana that created the higher tier metals?

17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Moonstone is technically a highgrade tier one metal. Darkstone is its tier 2 version. But yes, Richter should be searching his domain for more deposits of rare ores, whether t1 or t2. Or better yet, he should be pumping the kindirs for information, they know the area. They might not be interested in ore, but they would still get prompts when wandering around.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, So I Edit And reassert.

No doubt.

So with that in mind. When Ricther is on a hunt and he finds a darkstone vein. Should they not start looking for that source of mana that created the higher tier metals?

Dragon likes this.
  19. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ok, my bad. They definitely should attempt to uncover such a source of magic. As Richter postulated with the moonstone it could be the domain. It could also be an item or a resource of some sort, so definitely worth looking for.

Edit:
    The potion creating skull would be such an object.

20. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Once Richter Learns the Mining Skill it's likely that not only will he receive more Information from Prompts and the Environment but that there will be some type of Synergistic connection with his Map and he might get even more Information through that?