All things Dungeon

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The dungeon is limited by rooms.

You shouldn’t doubt that distance at to which AK might want to place an entrance. I believe that’s why he has given Ricthers dungeons on inter dimensional space. With a inter dimensional space and time capability Ricther could have a entrance placed anywhere. I know that AK had written in the mushroom ring to the the Faye realm and was going to allow it to pass some mana leakage from there. If Ricther were to travel to the Faye realm via the mushroom ring he could then possibly place an entrance there. If he did the dungeon could conceivably consume more Faye world magic then it could from what was leaking through the mushroom door way. Ricther could also place a door way into the Lichs old realm which should be steeped in death and eldritch magic.

I believe the inter dimensional space given to Ricthers dungeon is similar to that of the labyrinth but I don’t think it will allow connecting directly to other dungeons as of yet. If it does the question will be could Ricther use his dungeon transport spell to teleport to another dungeon his has connected to?

Aleron is that good. He has the ability as an author to keep things balanced and within the laws of his universe not ours.

2. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ricther needs to earn a substantial amount of dungeon points. I am hopeful that somewhere along the line of his wand quest that he gains more settlement points.

With the new entrances that are given at every fifth level of the dungeon and the right amount of DP’s he could build another room with a four sided portcullis and another portal. That would be AWESOME! It would give him the ability to garrison a few troops inside the dungeon. It would allow for access to the dungeon and the portal would remain completely in his control.
    If an enemy invaded trying to attack the portal the dungeon would be provoked into attacking them and penalize them. The garrison actually being separated would be just fine.

That would be the bomb. It would give Ricther the capability of dungeon transporting back to the dungeon and walking through the portcullis into the portal.

3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Unfortunately - or fortunately for balance reasons - there is a minimum 50 mile distance requirement between portals.

Its easy enough to work with, build up forts with portals 50 miles away on each of the four leylines and use them as relays. This would still allow transportation networks that are many, many, many times faster than modern day earth transportation networks. With the addition of the one-way 10 mile lesser portals, that means Richter's forces can reach most places very rapidly. More importantly, he can forego traditional supply lines. No more horses or ponies pulling wagons for hundreds of miles to get to a remote locale.

Now that I think of it, this may very well prove Richter's strongest card. Those major nadria powers who join him gain access to and control of portals of their own. With that they can focus surplus forces into s single part of the theater of war. Even militia could be moved from the walls of one settlement to the walls of another if the need is dire enough.

Until the bugbears figure out a countermeasure this could prove a major advantage.

4. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought the local portals were around 50 miles.

5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

6. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Pretty sure there was something about micro or mini portals that the distance was less than 50 miles but the might have been one way.

7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    One way. Micro portals allow you to teleport back to a home portal. I have a feeling they are one-use, essentially town scrolls. They do not open a portal, but they do portal everything in a small area.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  8. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm thinking more like a small magical item. Possibly with a cooldown. I don't see any reason why it would need to be single use.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  9. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Being a one way portal is fairly limiting itself. Although I could see them having a cool down besides a volume (size) restriction. Even at that a local portal at the Kinder Hamlet and as close as possible to the Hearth Tree would be the way to go. It could at the least offer small units and supplies. More importantly it would offer faster information in regards to local troop movements.

10. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Might be single use at first tech level then multi use once researched again. There are a lot of limitations of power in the Land so I don't think single use is out of the question.

My best guess is (if it starts single use) it might go something like this

Micro portals 1: Single use one way

Micro portals 2: Unlimited use one way, cool down 6 hours.

Micro portals 3: You can return to where the portal took you from, but this greatly reduces durability of the device. Time limit 24 hours before field destination is 'lost'. Limit 1 field location.

Micro portals 4: Unlimited back and forth. Time limit 24 hours to return to field destination. Device cool down 4 hours. Limit 1 field location

Micro portals 5: separate 'homes' allowed. Requires tertiary home portals to have activation nodes instead of runes. (Allows home portal owner to be notified / allow/deny passage).

Micro portals 6: Device history enabled, if the device made a micro portal in a location it can return you to it. Time limit 1 week before the field location is lost. Must teleport from a home portal to history destination. Cool down 2 hours.

Dragon likes this.
  11. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How will the Dungeon get its first tier two creatures?

Will The dungeon level them up to the point of becoming tier two?

Will Ricther feed the dungeon some tier two creatures?

Could Ricther use the labyrinth entrance to attract higher tier creatures into his dungeon?

Dragon likes this.
  12. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Now that Ricther has discovered a new magical item it must go into the well of offering. Ricther really needs to sacrifice a harvested slime core to the well of offering. Then immediately make them a confiscated item. That would be a awesome way to build up a number of cores for golems.

Dragon likes this.
  13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1)
    It depends on what counts as tier 2. Was the ebontusker tier 2 or is that more of a sideways evolution?

2)
    Is level sufficient for a tier up for monsters - it isn't for sentient races - or does it take achievements like with Richter? How about a powercore?

3)
    I could see him feed it a tier 2 ravager wyrm. It would be for the last level in the Dungeon for now but maybe he can tame some young ones and use them as mounts. Clad in heavy armor and with speedboosting enchantments they would make for a good counter to the underground cavalry of the kobolds. Their regeneration would make them very hard to kill under the control of an intelligent rider and they have the power to be a credible threat.

4 )
    Tier 2 creatures are still rare in the lands surrounding the village. But no doubt some of them will wander right into the dungeon defences. Or into new entrances. High tier does not equal high intelligence.

5)
    Slime cores would be interesting. Are slimes monsters in the traditional sense or are they part of some weird category? I'd assume they spawn just fine. As for confiscating their cores if they drop, it really depends on how much they are worth according to the banks. Richter will have to balance which items to confiscate (compensation could get really expensive) and which to leave behind for the adventurerers. Its also an open question whether he needs to sacrifice a core, they are a natural part of a slime, so sacrificing the other remnants of a slime may be enough.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  14. Gurston

Gurston Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd guess it has already been fed tier 2 or higher creatures, the bloods that unlocked / advanced the dungeon mark. Only some rare creatures counted, these were probably higher tier creaures.

15. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't think slimes quite count as beasts or animals but I could be wrong

16. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Slimes are probably more Beasts then anything else?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  17. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

Lol

I can see another chaos seed getting a new dungeon.

His Chamberlain Mandy ask so what type of dungeon is it. Then the dungeon master sequels in excitement. It’s a prokaryote dungeon!!

Mandy looks on in confusion.

You know a slime dungeon.

18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don’t think any type of slime would be a problem for Ricthers dungeon to make.

19. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd quite like to see Grey(/Psi) Oozelings appear in the Dungeon, they are supposed to tend to Appear in places with Strong Chaos Mana/Magic. They tend to be much smarter and less aggressive then most other Slimes/Ozzes, and can be fairly easily Tamed and Trained, they are most especially likely to try and become Friends and Familiars with Magic Users and people with some degree of Psi ability, so Richter is quite likely to gain one.

Gray Oozeling (5e Creature) - D&D Wiki

Jelly Cubes (Tiny Gelatinous Cubes) might be interesting for the Mist Village to get, they can be used as Waste Disposal and Small Vermin Killers.

Jelly Cube (5e Creature) - D&D Wiki

20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not necesarily. Tier one species are not equal. Some tier ones gain more power per level than others. A sufficiently powerful tier one race could suffice.