Another one joins the ranks...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by wordrew, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Crowbaits

Crowbaits Level 9 (Burgler) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    England - not New - the old one across the pond
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wotcha and welcome. My experience of this forum would indicate that the most appropriate label would be to use Douglas Adams famous one.

"Mostly harmless."

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  3. James G Patton

James G Patton Horrific Pun Master LitRPG Author Citizen

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. wordrew

wordrew Wayward Writer & Builder of Worlds LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

6%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really appreciate all of the welcomes! What a great community here!

I've learned quite a bit in a very short period of time, and it's already helped me with planning/writing my series in significant ways. I appreciate you all.

5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  6. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    wordrew likes this.
  7. wordrew

wordrew Wayward Writer & Builder of Worlds LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

6%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks @Felicity Weiss - I really appreciate your likes and retweets. We just need to keep boosting the frequency out there.

Felicity Weiss and Paul Bellow like this.
  8. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Freaking twitter dealer at it again.....

Felicity Weiss and Paul Bellow like this.
  9. Dustin Tigner

Dustin Tigner Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen

14%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Utah, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Welcome Wordrew! Just connected with you on Twitter the other day. Hope you have an exciting foray into LitRPG. :)

10. John Ward

John Ward Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's a great reply. Spot on. Do any of you find the repeated references to damage, menus, in-game notifications, and the other stuff that marks a work as LitRPG to be redundant and tedious? I'm not sure why it is, but some authors handle all of that stuff in a way that I enjoy. Others don't annoy me because I get why they are doing it, but it gets close to bugging me. I think the difference is that some people do the obvious and expected notifications and others include things that are novel or new in some way. Maybe their character gets some new ability that is different than the normal cliches that so many other authors fall back on.

11. James G Patton

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I find some of the way the skill ups, menus, etc are more detrimental to the story than not. I mean they are spinning a great story and then I am hit with 5 pages of the same stat stuff and then they finally make a choice and the story starts again and I am like uh shit! I back up several pages to see what had just happened and then move forward. It is why I am not a huge fan of crunchy LitRPG, but some people love that about the genre. So I would never penalize anyone for it, but I will skip over a lot of pages just to keep at the main story arc.

I've toyed with the idea of giving people a character sheet print out and letting them follow along on their own. I.e. no charts, just the sheet and you making the tics on it and checkboxing skills so you know where it stands through the series. Might appeal to some people and be a quirky thing to add an interactive layer to the book.

Paul Bellow and Felicity Weiss like this.
  12. John Ward

John Ward Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Out of the books I've read, I think Ascend Online has handled the in-game notifications the best. You get the normal setup scenes to get you used to that dynamic and you get notices when characters level up or make some achievement, but the thing that impressed me with that book was that many of the achievements felt original. I didn't feel like I was reading something that had been ripped out of World of Warcraft or Diablo.

I just picked up the first book in Office Wars. I enjoy humorous books so I'm looking forward to reading it.

13. James G Patton

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Awesome thanks man. I just made a post, but Jeff Hays is going to do a reading of one of the chapters tomorrow at 5pm cst / 6pm est, on his twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/soundbooththeater

John Ward and Paul Bellow like this.
  14. wordrew

6%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks Dustin for connecting on Twitter. I try to keep my feed relevant to writing, litrpg, and other pertinent things that disclude (it's a word now!) politics, religion, and general trolling junk. I've made some great connections through the platform and I count you as one of them.

Felicity Weiss and Dustin Tigner like this.
  15. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    THANK you for keeping politics off your Twitter. OMG, it's crazy out there.

I may or may not have muted a couple of politics happy folk on my feed bc I check twitter too much to not value my peace. ^^

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Paul Bellow likes this.