Are there any good gay or similar LItRPGs?

Discussion in 'Looking for LitRPG' started by Scoundrel, Nov 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Scoundrel

Scoundrel Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hey, I've been reading LitRPGs for a while and I'm a little addicted, but I'm having trouble finding ones that don't have female harems or similar (except for Dungeon Core books). Are there any good ones with gay main characters, or even gay harems? I don't honestly mind if there's erotica or not, I really just want characters that are relatable to me!

The themes of the book can be anything, but my favourites are urban fantasy, magic, anthro, superpowers, and sci fi. If anyone can cram all those puppies together with gay main characters, I will love you for it!

My recent favourites are: Dungeon Born, & Laboratory: a Science Fiction dungeon Core. My guilty pleasure is Super Sales on Super Heroes - mainly because I love the 'upgrade' style powerset. I've also also read Black Friday, and boy did I walk into that one! I should have read the description a bit further... lol. Too much straight erotica, even if I did kinda like the premise.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Fjorgyn series, which is on my reading list, has a gay MC. The System Apocalypse series has a bisexual MC (I think). I haven't read either, but I've heard good things about them, and they get a lot of unfair negative reviews for having non-straight MCs.

shaine likes this.
  3. LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa Roboto Artiste LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well I'm currently editing an LGBT one that isn't a Harem, in the strictest sense. There is some threesome going on, but that's like ... not until the very end. And that may change with editing.

4. Scoundrel

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks! I've downloaded samples of both, and I'll look forward to seeing what LWFlouisa comes up with! Are there any others?

LWFlouisa likes this.
  5. nightwriter

nightwriter Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen

74%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As far as GameLit is concerned, Ready Player one has one of the main characters that is a lesbian. Its not mentioned in the movie at all. It is kinda big reveal in the book, but it doesn't seem crucial to the plot.

6. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's hard to tell whether the MC of System Apocalypse is bi, pan, or if he's straight and the guy he's attracted to is just ridiculously pretty. Charisma scores, skills, and abilities have a real and measurable impact in that series.

7. Scoundrel

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks, I'll read it at some point - but I'm mainly after gay male main characters. :D

That sounds hilarious, lol. XD I'll check it out.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  8. nightwriter

nightwriter Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen

74%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ah, OK. If you weren't specifically after Lit RPG then pretty much anything that Clive Barker wrote would be good :)

9. Scoundrel

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at him. Any others? I'll take whatever I can get, so long as there is a gay male MC and the book has magic or sci-fi (or similar).

10. Morgreth

Morgreth Level 2 (Initiate) Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  11. Scoundrel

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks, I might give it a shot but the reviews aren't inspiring! I'm wondering if I shouldn't try to write my own - or ask a writer if they want to let me edit up a gay version of their straight book. I don't know if any would be up for that, but I guess it would be interesting to try and do.

12. Morgreth

Morgreth Level 2 (Initiate) Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It is not as bad as the ratings would lead you to believe though the original draft was a LOT more rough >.< it got edited and re-uploaded since the first time I checked it out. Some of the complaints are a bit dumb. One was a complaint about it being gay, another doesn't like emotions in their books lol

13. Scoundrel

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh really? I guess it's worth a sample read then! Thanks for the imput, maybe I'll like it now it's been edited. :D

14. Troymichael

Troymichael Level 2 (Initiate) Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Have you looked into The City of Crows series? Its an Urban fantasy series. The MC is bi but doesnt enter into a gay relationship until a couple books in.
    Or Sufficiently Advanced Magic has a gay MC.

TJ Klune has a series caled Tales from Verania with 4 books with a Gay MC. Hes a bit OP but its hilarious. They have the whole series on audible.

None of these are litrpgs but have a lot to do with magic.

15. Magus1360

Magus1360 Level 2 (Initiate) Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Found your post googling for the same thing, not sure if you still check here, but any luck finding gay LitRPG?

I don't know any yet but if you're fine with regular fantasy with magic and some gayness, some one of my favorite fantasy series is The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan. MC isn't gay, but very prominent and significant character is, was the first time I read a gay relationship so big fan.

Mercedes Lackeys's The Last Herald-Mage trilogy has a gay MC and is also very good

16. TommyThe13th

TommyThe13th Level 4 (Warrior) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I came here looking for the same thing. I've read a couple of Tao Wong's System Apocalypse books. The MC is bi in his head, but hasn't acted on it. Internally, he seems have some history of bisexuality, but so far he's only having sex with women. He is attracted to a ridiculously pretty male character but keeps resisting seduction.
    There is a gay male couple in the main cast of J.P. Valentine's This Trilogy is Broken series. They are in the female MC's party for all the books.
    There is a gay male character in the Whispering Crystals series by H.C. Mills and the female MC might be bi, but it's still up in the air.

The next closest thing I have read is the Misfit Mage and Melee Mage by Michael Taggart, but the LitRPG elements are very subtle. The gay MC mentions a character sheet for his summons and there is a cool scene where his power set is quantified.

17. LapinDuMort

LapinDuMort Level 2 (Initiate) Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hugely recommend Sufficiently Advanced Magic and Weapons and Wielders series by Andrew Rowe. Very queer, MC is asexual/biromantic, basically everyone is bi/pan and there's trans/non binary characters too. Not to mention just a great overall LITRPG, got me into the genre!