Base building

Discussion in 'Looking for LitRPG' started by Mister Bill, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’ve read Life Reset and The Land (and I’m waiting for the latest books in both). I haven’t run across anything on KU or Amazon that’s as good at base building and I’d love to read more. I have found one or two stories on royal road but they’re not very long and could stop at any moment.

2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm planning a long 12 book series in the Tower of Gates universe that is base building / 4x / RTS. Won't be out for a while.

Anyone have other good recommendations for him?

Mister Bill likes this.
  3. YonEye

YonEye Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    those are 2 of the best, so it will be tough to top
    Ascend Online by Luke Chmilenko (you can skip the 2nd book, it's a side story)
    also Michael Chatfield's Emerilia to an extent

sort of adjacent to town building is dungeon building so maybe check out
    Divine Dungeon by Dakota Krout

outside of litrpg there's a whole genre of 'modern man goes back to medieval-type world and rebuilds it' that might scratch that itch
    Olan Thorensen - Destiny's Crucible - modern man kidnapped by aliens to zoo planet, helps unite large group of people
    Lina Potter - Medieval Tale - modern woman reincarnated into body of woman in medieval world and proceeds to build own empire
    David Weber - Safehold - human consciousness in advanced android on planet where advanced tech is banned by religious decree
    Eric Flint, et al - 1632 - WV town transported back to Germany in . . . 1632
    Taylor Anderson - Destroyermen - WWII destroyer falls into alternate earth with dinosaurs and makes allies with Lemurians
    Release that Witch - reincarnated into fantasy world, uses magic to fill in missing sci/tech processes and takeover the world

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Mister Bill and Paul Bellow like this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd add Crosstime Engineer to the non-LitRPG base building list. Basically, he prepared Eastern Europe (the poles mostly) for the Mongol invasion. Good stuff.

5. YonEye

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    haha, yeah, um, definitely was interesting, but be aware that Leo was a major perv and don't read anything after the mongol invasion (that takes you through most of the series anyways)

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hooters!? lol But yeah, it was written in the 70s or 80s, I believe? A truly different time...

7. YonEye

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    few others to fill out the list
    Eric Flint & David Drake - Belisarius - two competing advanced intelligences send agents back to ancient India/Byzantine to guide development
    H Beam Piper - Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen
    William R Forstchen - Lost Regiment
    S M Stirling - Nantucket/Island in the Sea of Time
    David Drake - Raj Whitehall (The General)
    Harry Turtledove - World War/Guns of the South/too many to mention
    Chris Hechtl - The Wandering Engineer - starship engineer has been in stasis forever and tries to revive empire that has crumbled to dust

Mister Bill and Paul Bellow like this.
  8. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks! I’ve read some of these (Be,isarius, Raj Whitehall) and the ones I’ve read haven’t been super into base building like The Land and Life Reset are. Emerilia kind of had some, sure. I think I have Ascend Online a shot and didn’t make it long in the series. Plus Safehold and 1632 aren’t so much base building, even if I liked them a bit.

Are the others more “gives technology from the future” or more like Life Reset? And thanks for the recommendations!

9. YonEye

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    all the others (except Divine Dungeon of course) are focused on raising the tech level

10. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I love base building element in LitRPGs and it seems like I get a couple people every week asking me for more like Life Reset. Authors get busy, the people have spoken and you have demands to fill!

TravisBach and Mister Bill like this.
  11. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good catch, I loved this series for the MCs science and engineering knowledge put towards light village building in book 2.

12. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thank you. So, my hopes for another Life Reset-like village building are dashed?

13. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really haven’t caught anything else like it. I’m going to look more into the books in this list that I don’t know.

14. YonEye

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    there is one other possibility I'll mention, the Dragon's Wrath series by Brent Roth
    1. The Dragon's Wrath- A Virtual Dream
    2. Ashes of the Fallen
    3. Shadows in the Flame

not sure there's enough pure town building for you, but it's a pretty good series regardless

he has to meet certain requirements (population/structures) to get NPCs, and as the town progresses he gets access to higher quality and more specialized NPCs. The gimmick being that everyone in the game (with that level of town) has access to the same NPCs so there's a bidding process so you have to weigh current skill level vs future potential, quantity vs quality, included family members (buy 1 farmer and get a wife and 3 rugrats free!), agreeableness (don't want a bunch of angry, sullen townfolk), etc. There's also trying to train even non-combat NPCs to not be totally useless in a town-defense situation, stuff like that

the caveat being that they've been pulled from Amazon and it appears the author is dead, so you might have to dig deep to find a copy

Mister Bill likes this.
  15. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks! It’s too bad it seems he’s passed. I’ll look into it.

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  16. Spellcroft

Spellcroft Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There is an author R E Trumble on royalroad that writing a settlement in a immersions game. He has about 17 or 18 chapters seem to post weekly. Interesting read.

Settlement of Safehaven is the name.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  17. Brian Foster

Brian Foster Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

92%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I, too, love base building LitRPG and haven't found much of it out there. Carrie Summers Stonehaven League has a little bit of that element, but not nearly to the degree that Life Reset does. Might be worth checking out, though.

Spellcroft and Paul Bellow like this.
  18. TravisBach

TravisBach Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Great thread! I love this stuff and have now filled my TBR pile with reccs. Thanks!

The latest book of this genre I just finished and loved was called Legend of the Archmagus
    https://amzn.to/2W65yuX

I'm definitely waiting for the sequel.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  19. TravisBach

TravisBach Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've been slowly reading my way through this thread. Ya'll have made a real gold mine here. Thanks!

Space Engineer was a strange beast. I've never read a book that focused so much on "action repair sequences" before. That said, the main character was so analytical I couldn't get into him. Maybe he gets more knowable/likeable as the series goes on? I'm not sure.

Lina Potter's - A strong woman in the middle ages - I loved this one and I read all five books of the series. It moves at this amazing "always show, never tell" sort of pace where every invention and improvement feels hard won. This series is also notable for having amazing intrigue. Seriously, I've never read such good plotting and intrigue. All that said, it's a translation of a Russian novel, so the prose and grammar are weird sometimes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Lastly, it's billed as a "historical Romance". Which it is not. Honestly, it's much more of a Josei-style of protagonist and story.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  20. Justinian

Justinian Level 2 (Initiate) Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I also have been focused lately on only these types of books.

Michael Chatfield -The Ten Realms

Spectacular books. Everything the 2 MCs do is focused towards building their town.

Paul Bellow likes this.