Blood mana spell check and balance

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Joe Schmoe, Dec 20, 2022.

?

Blood mana works to buy enchantments?

1. Yep

2. No way

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Anyone think the mana gained from blood mana could be used to pay mana debts for richters essence specialty?

On one hand thats be a huge cheat. On the other hand, its blood magic, danger and reward.

I personally think he would get a message saying only his mana (and by extension alma) would work.

Mister Bill likes this.
  2. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]

Problem is not having enough settlement spells.. the only think he can spam now is what mist workers?

Or the new spells are viable too? don't remember

Mister Bill likes this.
  3. Joe Schmoe

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He definitely got new spells unlocked when he awakened all 4 powers. Scion confirmed he could see them but not use them. However Futen should probably be able to cast them with village mana.
    But richter cant turn settlement spells into enchantments, yet..

Upgrading his current enchantments takes a ton of mana though, if he can slaughter hundreds of monsters in the dungeon with his OP party and in his lands with a full war party, he would be able to harvest tens of thousands of extra mana points every day to put towards unlocking rank 2 amd 3 spell enchantments.

Mister Bill likes this.
  4. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 12 (Rogue) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Mana is mana. He was never given any restrictions on any castings, not even for life spells, when using mana used via blood mana.

5. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Mana is mana. The check here is actually surviving the battle in the first place. However I can easily see blood mage enchanters sacrificing people for this purpose. Remember the land does not judge, except for alignment designation, but that’s just a little thing right? How far are you willing to go for power? This is the only real issue here. I do kind of hope richter doesn’t put 2 and 2 together though.

on another note I can also see the burrow of the chaos serpent get angry over the constant use the blood mana inside it, that would probably be very bad.

6. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This true for mana but life magic does have at least one restriction. In my opinion richter handled that discovery like a moron. He already killed the thing, the damage was done. So instead of eating it he lets it rot, very wasteful.

7. Joe Schmoe

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I know the dungeon didnt like him taking whole beasts, but i dont think a blood magic based dungeon should get too touchy about the use of blood magic within it.

You make a good point though, i personally would love to see him start using this. As i thought about it more, even if he gets a few thousand mana from clearing each room of a dungeon, its not going to put huge dents in the hundreds of thousa ds of mana needed to get a level 3 enhantment. He should definitely be doing it if its allowed. Its not quite as big of a cheat as i initially thought. But imagine using it on the few massive battlefields coming up with bugbears, goblins, and eaters.. blood harvest may turn out to be a tool for unlocking level 4+ enchantments in the future.

In my mind though, the difference between using blood mana for spells and for unlocking spells is the idea that essence enchanting is enchanting his own soul. His soul/specialty may not allow him to use mana taken from others? We wont know until he tries i guess. If he ever becomes a life master and can use the mana of others, that would help a lot too. In the meantime he should definitely upgrade his mana sharing ability with alma. Her regen is ridiculous.

8. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That might hold true IF he had a low affinity for blood magic. He doesn’t.

I believe hysako’s mana sharing/steeling ability comes from her place of power. Pretty sure that was said at one point, though admittedly was is said and the presented mechanics are not always the same thing. At least aleron strives to keep his actual mechanics consistent, even if it means a retcon or a mild rewrite

9. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    blood harvest my boy

10. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If he is in a situation that blood harvest would make a significant impact on his more expensive enchantment’s then he is going to be needing that mana for other purposes. That said, dread harvest on the other hand is both a mana gathering spell and a weapon. Once he unlocks that particular nightmare he will be able to use enemy armies to gain enchantments. I would also not be surprised to learn that a Master of o pop could use the mana from dread harvest and any similar spells to purchase settlement points.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
  11. Joe Schmoe

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Mist village massacre strategy:

If he manages to level up the village, his villlage mana pool should rise to at least 2k. Plus if he builds a mana repository that adds 1k more. In that kind of scenario, he would have access to over 4k mana (including some mana shared with alma). An army at his door could be mowed down with his settlement dark wave spell leaving him at least 3k mana and a lot of bodies to get a jump start to dread harvest, ranking it up very quickly.

He could potentially wipe out an army like he did with the blood stone and probably fund an entire level 3 enchantment all at once. All without his own soldiers needing to do a thing.

I wonder if he could direct the stream of dread harvest energy into the dungeon somehow.

Mister Bill likes this.
  12. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nah, I think the dungeon won’t care what magic is used in it. Energy is energy.

13. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well blood mana takes the blood the dungeon likes to drink. That is why I think it might have issues

Mister Bill likes this.
  14. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh, I get it. I hadn’t thought about that.

I assume he couldn’t get all the blood and would leave at least some behind. Plus whatever leaked out of people as they fought.