Books that are different but wonderful.

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books' started by MrPotatoMan, Jul 27, 2017.

1. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I find my favorite books are often the strangest ones and I was wondering does anyone have any books that don't quite resemble anything done before but still manage to have amazing writing and stand on there own as good books.

To start here are 3 series that rank among my favorites and still manage to be strange with my all time favorite books being Myth Adventures.

1) Myth Adventures (Robert Asprin and Jody Lynn Nye)
    An older and hilarious mystery esqu scifi and fantasy where they explore strange and alien civilizaions, with each book having a self contained adventure giving it the feel of a tv show with great characters that make reading the books feel like hanging out with close friends.
    2) Demons of Astlan (J. Langland)
    Book I found recently that seems like someone took the lore from every tabletop RPG mixed it with other games and fantasy smashed them together and made something amazing.
    3) The Archimage wars (Philip Blood)
    Hard to describe, crazy mage wars reminiscent of Dr strange with something like 12 different worlds each competing for 'ascension' a win state in which they kill all the other Archimages(world leaders and basic gods on there worlds) with there ability to alter reality by imagining it to there liking and thats just a small bit of what happens.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Myth Adventures were a favorite of mine when I was younger. I need to reread them some time, I'm sure I was missing a ton of references.

Tom Gallier likes this.