Can we talk about Patreon for a moment?

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Matthew Siege, May 16, 2017.

1. Matthew Siege

Matthew Siege Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Readers - Is this the sort of thing you participate in? Is it worth it? What do you wish Authors would do more of, regarding Patreon?

Authors - For those with experience with it, how much of a hassle is it to use? What sort of perks do you offer, and at what subscription level?

I'm on the cusp of publishing my first novel, which means it's the time I balance precariously on the tightrope of shut-up-and-stop-worrying-about-that-sort-of-crap-right-now, no matter how much I think it'd be a good idea to set these things up early, so that I can be consistent as I progress...

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's used a lot more heavily in LitRPG than in other genres I've been involved with in the past. I've not personally done it myself yet. I figure if they're buying the books, I'm a happy man.

My advice? Stop worrying about this sort of crap right now and finish the book! Write. Edit. Publish. Repeat. That's the secret. ;) Seriously, though, it's easy to get bogged down in details and not get anything done.

As for Patreon overall, I'm not sure I like the model, but that doesn't mean it can't work for other people - authors and readers included.

Matthew Siege likes this.
  3. lordnova

lordnova Level 10 (Filcher) Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

90%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Mountain States
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've patronized a couple of creators on there from time to time.
    The first one was a writer that wrote some amazing short stories. Last I looked they were no longer active on there, but it was cool while it lasted.
    What I liked best was how he involved his patrons. Letting them vote for themes or other story elements, or even at higher levels creating a character of their designs in a story.

Lately, though, I haven't participated in it. I have to find, and really enjoy someone's work elsewhere before I would consider joining their patreon.

Matthew Siege likes this.
  4. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Was just talking to a friend about joining the site. I've only just started hearing about it in the last couple of days and have been offering a free service for a couple of years. I track the wrestling industry in Alabama on a page called Alabama Wrestling Mag. It started out as a "Magazine" but people didn't like my ranking system and it took up alot of time for something I wasn't getting paid for. Finally, I recruited some free help and slipped off into the background. Last week, one of my biggest helpers died. :(

I've played with the idea of getting back in the business and announcing that it was never a "Magazine" as so many assumed, but rather the outlet of the Alabama Wrestling Magnate, ME! Then try to be a manager or agent or something. The fact that I've enlarged wrestling state wide helping promoters and wrestlers and fans alike spread their horizon, I kind of feel they owe me a debt of gratitude. lol

I'm like an information hub and go between when it comes to brokering deals and opening up channels of communication.

Matthew Siege and Paul Bellow like this.
  5. Larakel

Larakel Level 14 (Defender) Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't use patreons to support authors. I buy books to support authors.
    I do use patreon to support other creatives, like webserial writers, cosplayers, folk that don't already earn money from their work.
    It seems a bit cheeky asking for both

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Cadwe

Cadwe Arrogant cheeky Dragon Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

4%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Paris (France)
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not a big fan. I buy books, goodies and crafts. Maybe it can help, but i prefer to buy a finished product

Paul Bellow and Felicity Weiss like this.