ALL THESE Content Errors, Book 8

Discussion in 'World Mechanics' started by Johan, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Updates are easy, but getting Amazon to automatically push it out is a pain in the rear. You have to provide significant evidence of changes to the work, and even then they still might not push out the edits.
    The cost itself depends. A good editor will run your average 100k book about 500 to 1000 dollars per run. We keep about 70% of each sale is we're in Kindle Unlimited and at a specific price point for our book. We also only get .004 ish cents per page in KU, so while it doesn't cost us to update, doing the editing can seriously eat into any profit.
    Yes, you can edit in offline documents then upload a new file to Amazon for the update.
    Define reports.

2. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @Paul Bellow could you move all this to the help subforum or another? We might want to include our sidebar too.

A question I have, and it maybe a how-to file that Amazon sends out to authors or editors. But what is the file format that you upload to Amazon? And do they provide a kindle emulator so you can see what it looks like. The point of the two questions are to figure out the best point to be a beta reader. Is there a semi-final product that could be loaded into a Kindle, a PDF that adobe accounts would be better for, or a office account and use the comment option in the review tab, where multiple can work on it at the same time.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've done a bit of betareading on the admiral who series. Great books if you are into scifi.

I like finding errors in basic logic/ math that isn't character related as long as I know they will be fixed. Its fine for the character to be way off if its intended, but the book itself should be right. Otherwise you can't tell whether the character is wrong or the author is, which bugs me whenever i reread and realize it wasn't fixed despite being obviously wrong.

Paul Bellow and Johan like this.
  4. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In the kindle app I can highlight text and file an error report. There are a few different menus (typo, continuity etc) and yku go through type out whats up with the highlighted text and hit submit, where you get a non committal message about the error possibly being shared with the author. Have you guys ever seen something like these?

Johan likes this.
  5. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Never seen or heard anything about that, and my first book had a lot of mistakes the first time around even with an editor. Maybe it only gets reported after a specific number of reports?

6. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I often use the Report Errer/Typo function on the Kindles not sure if anything ever been changed due to them though.

7. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Any one else know or have preferences?
    @LitRPG Author

Dragon and Paul Bellow like this.
  8. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Personally, I'd rather get an email from the reader/fan. If you tell Amazon there's a chance they could pull the book down which wouldn't be good.

Johan and ShoughtLoud like this.
  9. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was looking through for things he could have forgone in order to get Purchase Spell Enchantment, and at one point he unlocks 3 higher orbit talents but we only see 2.

Screenshot_20200312-085720.jpg Screenshot_20200312-085726.jpg Screenshot_20200312-085734.jpg

Johan likes this.
  10. Hmmm

Hmmm Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There could there be different benefits at level 4.
    Reaching level 3 with your Mausoleum Grant's 30% decrease in damage from Death creatures.
    Evel 3 grant's ability to sacrifice slaves to increase your power. Up to 10% of your slaves can be sacrificed for mana

GUESS....Reaching level 4 with your Mausoleum let's you raise and control 40% more undead servants and the ability to create a Mausoleum Guardian

11. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I suppose, though the core Buildings we know of have not worked that way. Nice idea.

12. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well... All things being equal, they might work that way. He can increase his current bonuses in the forge through research. New levels might mean different bonuses that each can be improved upon.

13. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe that is what the crazy dude on Facebook was complaining about. He kept saying the mausoleum was level 4 in book 7, that the quote was talking about something else. The dude kept misquoting the specific reference of interest, leaving out "ownership" and replacing it with "power", so I wasn't going to put much stock into his idea.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    ShoughtLoud likes this.
  14. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm not sure if this is a content error, but...

Upon reaching settlement specialization level 5 one of the bonuses was:
    +5% Affinity for every member of your settlement in one of the Basic Elements

It would seem Richter, as a member of the MV should have received said affinity boost, which in turn should have granted him 5 skill levels in said basic element, as it pushed his affinity over 100%.

15. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1 skill level since it usually decreases by up to 10% per added skill level to get back down to 100, but yeah. Maybe it'll hit once he gets back to the village?

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  16. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Indeed I believe a 10% increase above 100% in a Magic Affinity is needed for a Level Up in a Magic Skill. But if it was Random in Life Magic then he might get another Skill Level in that because of the Healers Hut Upgrade?

Pity it's limited to Basic Magics, would have been good if he could have gotten an increase in Affinity in another Magic that he Doesn't have and that Awoke that Magic in him, such as Thought Magic.
    I really want him to Awaken Thought Magic, not just because it's the only Deeper Magic he doesn't have but because I want to see what effect I might have on Alma, will she be able to use Thought Spells like she was his PoP Element Spells or will it allow Richter to gain access to the Psionic Capabilities, or give him access to the Mental Psionic MG Stat mentioned in Monsters?
    Maybe he will get another chance to get another Thought Magic Spell Book from the Sea of Chaos that he will actually wan to purchase?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    ShoughtLoud likes this.
  17. Commander Azure

Commander Azure Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We don't know that it's the only deeper magic he doesn't have, just a deeper magic he doesn't have

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  18. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My biggest gripe is that he doesn't farm the lower tiers of chaos for spells. He got a level 1 higher energy spell from tier 3 for 23 points. He should spam tier 2 and 3 for
    2: presumably mid range spell books for basic elements and low /level 1 deeper magics
    3: level 1 other higher energies and mid range deeper magics

Also other enchanted items he can eventually break down. Ring of health siphon looked awesome.

Waterhobit likes this.
  19. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A good way to increase hard, dangerous or Magics with a long Cool Down time would be by Infusing That Type of Mana into things when he Crafts, according to the High Elf Shipwright that would slowly increase that Magics Skill Experience Level. It would be a good way to increase Blood & Spirit Magic Level, amongst others.

20. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Especially at low levels. Would work well with any magic if he could just hold it ambiently all the time.