ALL THESE Content Errors, Book 8

Discussion in 'World Mechanics' started by Johan, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Would he go down in affinity? Say he pops up to 105%, the universe subtracts 10% and bam 95% affinity remaining.

My guess is it wouldn't.

2. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He is their ruler, he may not be considered a member of the village population but instead receives various leader bonuses. This time everyone else got the goodies.

Johan likes this.
  3. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Richter doesn't know how infusion works (or any other type of magic, he is just a spellslinger who categorically refuses to invest any time into the boring basics of magic. Like the mana manipulation skill) and since everyone else isn't using it as a shortcut, there are likely reasons :)

It may require special techniques that the elves have retained for use with their most valuable ships, techniques that do not work with other objects (similar to the way Yves has a few of the lesser runes, but the majority have been lost).

4. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Up to 10% not hard 10%.
    Already happened when the house of healing was made and and he got +15% to life magic affinity. He gained 2 levels dropping his affinity from 115 to 105 then 100.

Johan likes this.
  5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah but Richter has maxed affinity due to limitless, giving him great synergy with this. What happens to everyone else if they cross the line? Alternatively, could anyone with a 100% affinity in something level their skill 4 times a year from the quickening fruit? If so Sumiko should be quite happy, only little more than a decade from grandmaster, which is nothing for someone who spent several decades training endlessly to advance just one skill level further.

6. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I doubt you'd be penalized like that but the direct quote as of book 7 is

Screenshot_20200418-143541.jpg
    Would suck if you were at 99% then got a plus 2% boost and dropped to 91%.

7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, agreed.

Its either badly written or designed to prevent rapid skillgrowth from piling on affinity boosters (sure they are rare in the peninsula, but we already know of two sources so there are likely others available for the rich and powerful). Like this you'd only be able to raise the skill level every 2.5 years from eating the max number of fruits. So Sumiko would have to wait 125 years to reach grandmaster from that alone.

8. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Very Possibly, but his experience with placing Spells in his Ring and his Mana Manipulation Skill should give him a direction to experiment in.

Dragon likes this.
  9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Indeed.

Mana manipulation would also be an immensely useful skill for Richter to practice. I'm surprised he hasn't invested more time into a skill HM personally told him is fundamental for magicians. Especially one that allows him to directly manipulate mana and do neutral damage.

10. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Learning/Researching Basic Magic Knowledge and Basic Enchanting Knowledge might help with Learning and Levelling Mana Manipulation. As might learning different Mana Infusing, Control and Crafting Skills.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  11. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Channeling blood or spirit magic would likely force him to practice constant mental defense as well which could have positive benefits.

Cire122, ShoughtLoud and Andrew Lynas like this.
  12. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We don't know he hasn't. We just haven't seen him do it. All it takes is for AK to write a paragraph explaining that Richter has been practicing mana manipulation off and on for weeks and that he finally had a breakthrough or prompt explaining an unexpected boost or perk that he finally earned.

13. Cire122

Cire122 Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just like with him studying about favors. I am not sure why but I didn't like that he did that. I get that you can't show everything "on camera" but it feels less gimmicky if he jumps ahead or has more knowledge about things we have already seen him look into.

Plus, we almost get a full play by play of his life so I am left wondering when he had time for all these off camera things.

Abe fromen and Johan like this.
  14. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And the shield piercing with enchanted arrows

Cire122 and Johan like this.
  15. Hmmm

Hmmm Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Noticed this reading book 2..
    Know This! All present at the sprouting of a Quickening will have an increase in random affinities.

I think Sion had several affinities increase.

“Sion,” Richter said in shock, “When did your affinities get so much higher?” The sprite smiled, “Don’t you remember the Quickening? You know, giant silver tree, white leaves, normally only seen on higher planes of existence?” Seeing Richter’s glare, he chuckled, “Well, ever since then, my affinities have been higher.”

Shouldn't he get multiple skills activated or boosted?

16. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Should have, didn't. Only ways to really fix that without a rewrite are
    1) Find out that the birth of a quickening can only raise the affinity of skills below 100% affinity (kind of a scrot flick)
    2) In book two give him a some actually useless skills and never mention them again (big middle finger)
    3) Make him wait till he 'discovers' some out of the way skills and then give him the boost that others already recieved. Like a skill he might not qualify to have biologically yet or something (potentially quite powerful)

17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    4) Raise his affinity by 10-20% in several skills, but make it random. Most affinities are a good bit below 100%, in fact people with a 100% affinity like Beyan are considered geniuses, so there is a good chance that it doesn't boost any of the skills that would pass 100%. Sion got boosted in skills such as animal husbandry - we know animals used to hate him - and likely at least one of the magical skills he really wanted to inherit from his mother.

18. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought we were talking about Richter

19. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think #3 is the only real option. Both 1 and 2 require a revision of the book. The third option lets Aleron provide a boost to some new skills in the future.

20. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Right, what I meant was those three could be done with the addition of a single paragraph, or maybe two, which is within reason to keep the stories from really changing. Just a quick:
    Know This! The birth of a Quickening...
    or
    You have learned the skill: Bite Me. The Universe has gifted you a quickening, take what you got and be happy. +1% chance to receive a personal prompt from the Universe telling you to piss off, when you feel like there should be something more.

Waterhobit likes this.