POLL Core Building Purviews

Discussion in 'Disagreements' started by ShoughtLoud, Feb 27, 2020.

?

Can Core buildings expand their scope beyond their initial function?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. It's not so cut and dry as that..

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Yes, but only sheds that are closely related to the original purpose

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Core buildings scope creep

It's been brought up before, it'll come up again.
    Core buildings are amazingly powerful. But how powerful are we talking?

They can do some things now, but how will those expand later? Feel free to discuss how exactly you think things might get out of hand or why one core structure outstrips the usefulness of any other structure. Mostly this is about single core structures not multi core/combination structures but go nuts.

Let me know what choices you'd like added to the poll.

Also any main points I'll try to keep on top of updating this post to keep it all fair. Also until we see a core building actually level it's all up in the air.

Reasons yes, they will incorporate other core based capabilities (ie core forge break down rings for enchantments) :

Reasons no, they will stick only to their area with only minor additions for tightly relevant areas:

• Forge houses the miners, though no bonus to mining
    • Cauldron houses herbalist shed, though no bonus is actually granted to herb growing/storage [edit: beyond standard shed bonus that would be gained if he made a perfectly crafted wooden shed on the other side of the village.]
    • Forge could not break down an enchanted ring
      Home run right out of the gate, Richter thought excitedly. He pulled out the next item, the Minor Ring of Stealth. Once again, he placed one hand on the Forge and pressed the ring down on the Forge with the other. He received a different prompt this time, however. You have brought an enchanted item in contact with the Forge of Heavens, but this category of item cannot be deconstructed by the Forge.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  2. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You are meaning no core specific bonuses? Because when the Herb shed quest was completed:
    "Know This! As you have built a Philosopher’s Cauldron, you have maxed out the Building Bonus of having an Herb Shed. +10% growth of herbs. +10% strength of herbs." Bk 4

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    ShoughtLoud and SnackBarbarian like this.
  3. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Then we have the still:
    "Greetings, Master of the Dragon’s Cauldron. Do you wish to add this copper still to the structure of the Cauldron? This will cost 17 Alteration Points." Bk 5

The alteration did not include a Distillery building bonus, like the shed did, but with more alteration points, it probably could.

4. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It is a bit hard to say what is in the purvey of a forgery and what isn't. What we have at the moment is a smithy or what used to be called a blacksmiths workshop. Forge means to fabricate, kinda like forgery is a fabrication, something someone made. We could call this a maker space in our lingo, but it is specialized at the moment. Maybe Aleron was meaning specifically a smithy when he put forge for they are nearly synonymous.

So I believe we can add stuff to the core building's, and if they are seperated somewhat, and classified as a "fully functional ____" then the building bonus will be given.

Now do I think you could add an alchemy building to the smithy, And gain the building bonus? ...hrrmmm...I'm going have to say yes (no bonus stacking). But where do I draw the line??? I don't know. Acids and oils can be used in making weapons. Would I say the same for a cordwainer's hut? Or a bank? Probably not.

So what option do I choose if Yes it can be added to within it's purview (which could arguably be quite broad).?

5. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hmmm missed that.. Though it sounds like a new building (herb shed) like core smithy and regular smithy with chance to upgrade quality for any smithy. Huh. I'll update in a bit

6. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Probably need the whole distillery present for a brew house /shed

7. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So it sounds like you can max out a shed bonus with core buildings, because the quality is core quality, but you won't gain any core bonuses for any add ons or actual credit for a level 1 building. I'll update big post to clarify we're talking core bonus and capabilities

8. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well then where do you stop? Why not add mana storage sheds to every core building? Never need a ware house again either.

Johan likes this.
  9. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Distilling is a part of Alchemy and Chemistry, he's just repurposed it a little for making consumable Spirits(alcohol) rather then strictly for alchemy purposes. Which is probably partly why it hasn't been accredited as a new Drinking Alcohol Distillery with bonuses.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  10. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe that is what Singh did. He had one core building, and grew it via additions into that huge pyramid we saw in book 7.

11. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wow...that is tough. We have not seen a core building hit level 2 in the MV so we do not know. When the HOF was created it certainly "grew" larger than what the forge was prior. So the mausoleum being level 4 is could that it just added layer/floors to the bottom. I'm also sure that rooms were added like different ways to create undead. Also as a side note when a core building hits a higher level does it get more alteration points or do they just regenerate faster?

12. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We don't know! Probably larger pool max but percentage generation stays the same?
    Current is 1 point per day and 100 pool max.
    My guess is level 2 just multiplies those both by 2

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  13. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well the lich had a lot of time to generate alteration points, centuries.

I think the forge could grow to a similar size with enough time and investment without levelling, though good luck finding enough smiths to man it. Levelling it up would allow more rapid changes at the very least.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  14. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That mausoleum was massive! Geez what is the mist village going to do when a core building gets that big? It read like it was the size of the whole village. And I'll put my money on more alteration points saved, though it could be both.

PokemonThug likes this.
  15. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    use settlement point to move half of it underground or move it to the side...make it part of the wall.

Commander Azure, Joe Schmoe and Johan like this.
  16. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The mausoleum, by nature of it's function needed to be massive to house such a large army. The FoH doesn't serve the same function, and therefore doesn't need to grow so large.

More to the point of the OP, I would think facilities for related functions can obviously be added to core buildings, but the key functionality of the core building would not expand. For Example: a crafting bench could be added to the FoH for the production of things like Sword Hilts, axe handles, and spear shafts. This would probably result in a nicer crafting bench than would otherwise be available in a Crafting House. Someone like Richter working there could probably create special enchanted components for weapons and armor made from rare materials. Alteration Points could probably be spent to allow it to access the enchantments stored in the Main Anvil. However a level 1 Crafting House would probably be a better place to work on creating rings of health for instance, as the building would likely grant crafting bonuses, and you wouldn't have to put up with stinky dwarfs making a racket. Producing Rings at the forge might actually be possible but likely would not have access to the enchantments in the forge. Wands on the other hand are interesting because they are actually weapons but are made on a crafting bench, so they might take advantage of the bonuses from the FoH when made on a crafting bench added with AP's.

17. S'ahelas

S'ahelas Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think that forged buildings can be combined, to form more powerful buildings. A Bank seems to be a magic resistant, empire crushing money monopoly thing, requiring six cores. What if those six cores are because you need multiple core buildings combined into one to make a bank, say five core buildings and a core to combine everything? The Forge was moved next to the dragons cauldron, which makes sense from a defensive point of view, as its now behind the second moat, but from an ascetic point of view was a terrible decision. As the forge grows and outgassed fumes and noise its polluting the field, garden and celestial tree, and I think was a bad decision to put them side by side. Yet– the unintended benefit is the close proximity could be used to combine them both. As for some reason there are a ridiculous number of magic cores around the MV (thee so far, and he hasn't finished all the initial quests yet he first got upon claiming the village, let alone leveling it) eventually enough next to each other could confirm additional bonuses.

18. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Richter just needs to spend some alteration points to purchase a magical ventilation/air filtration system for the forge. Sound dampening might not be out of the question as well.

Cire122 and ShoughtLoud like this.
  19. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If he can Learn a Silence or Sound Dampening Spell he might be able to create a Silence/Muffling Enchantment, preferably a Macro version as well as an individual Personal Item version. Would both save him Alteration Points, be useful for other Buildings and Used (Combat and personal) and would increase his Enchantment Skill Experience and Enchantment list.

Waterhobit likes this.
  20. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What spell school would such a spell come from? Dark?