Cores, Potions, & Everything Magical

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If Ricther comes up with another place of powers heart crystal what should he do with it? The Hearth Mother had talked to Ricther about the heart crystal of the shadow trench. Toward the end of that conversation she mentioned to Ricther he might find some other use for a PoPs heart crystal.

Settlement points are crazy good for achieving things that Ricther needs right away. I’m just not certain that is its best use. It is likely the most well known use. What other ways do you think a PoP’s heart crystal can help.

What do you think about breaking a heart crystal down in the cauldron or on the forge?
    If it could be used in the Sepulcher? Could it be converted to Summoning points? Could the magic inside the crystal be used to saturate an item?

Would a Place of Power with a life death ley line be capable of giving the Sepulcher summoning points. Or could it improve the Sepulcher by ten percent. Being placed in the cauldron would it grant a permanent bonus to the cauldron in all life and death potions. If broke down on the forge would it give a permanent bonus to life and death enchantments? Or would it only offer up more points for the forge to use?

2. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not sure if you can crush or break a heart crystal. They have never had a stat window, so we have no idea if they even have durability.

3. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No, but heart crystals can be deconstructed. We know Ricther deconstructed the heart crystal from the shadow trench at his place of power.

When Ricther places things down on the forge it also ask if he wants to deconstruct them. The cauldron absorbs items such as crystal. It magically breaks items down. Place of powers Heart Crystals are magically formed. So isn’t it conceivable that magically made items could be magically broken down?

4. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Even if you can BreakDown a PoP Heart Crystal it would only temporary destroy it, it would eventually reform back at its PoP.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Captain BlackJack likes this.
  5. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Even if you could?

Ricther did breakdown a heart crystal. Three times at that. He all but completely broke it down.

So what else could it be used for? The Hearth Mother told him he could find other uses for heart crystals.

6. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There might be are way to use them to increase you Affinity in their Magic types? Or to Boost your Rank in their Magic types (although not to Master Rank, but possibly up to Adapt? But only Rank not by the Increasing of your Levels?). Or to use them to Empower Enchantments to greater strengths? Or to Empower Spells?

If given to a Dungeon it might Awaken its Magic types in the Dungeon and possibly allow it to sense the Location of that PoP and so make it easier to follow Nodes to it and make it easier to Open an Entrance at that PoP?

There are also most likely ways to use the Heart Crystal to find the Location if the PoP if you already don't know where it is?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Joe Schmoe and Captain BlackJack like this.
  7. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In my eyes a crystal is a symbol of a pop, more than it is something powerful in its own right. I doubt it can be broken by anything other than another pop, because you are effectively breaking a pop. Maybe by a god or an exile.

The settlement points gained by the winning pop represent the power that has been accumulated by the loser, sometimes from centuries of hard labor by past Master's. It takes centuries before a new crystal is formed if the pop is drained to the last drops. That said, i'd assume settlement points can be converted to summoning points (probably at a 1->10 rate) and that it can make all sorts of alterations of the sepulcher. It may require the permission of the kindir king, but there is nothing preventing it.

Unless of course the sepulcher is a core building or there are unknown rules.

R.I.C.H.T.E.R likes this.
  8. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am pretty confident it should be capable of being broken down into any type of Alerons point systems. We know it can be used for dungeon points and research points as well as settlement points.

Drag, you don’t think it’s more then a symbol? They are magically formed at the nexus of leylines. That’s a whole lot of magical power manifesting or should I say mana-festing into a crystal. Seeing how it was made into a real crystal that Ricther could breakdown I personally think it’s more than a symbol.

I can even see one being partially broken down in the forge of heavens.

Would you like to break down the heart crystal of fire and ice?

You can break down this heart crystal for its equivalent of forge points or you could use it to empower weapons and armor with either its fire or ice components.

Weapons forged from heart crystals of a place of power give special bonuses when used at that place of power. It also grants special bonuses if used by the owner of that place of power.

Would you Ricther of the Mist Village like to breakdown the heart crystal of fire and ice?

9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No I don't think its less than a symbol, a representation of the power of the leyline nexus at the heart of a Master's power. I very much doubt the forge can tap into it.

10. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It isn't the crystal itself that Richter is deconstructing to gain settlement points, it is the Magic Power of the PoP that the Heart Crystal represents. If Richter had earned the settlement points by placing the crystal on the great seal and smashing it with a hammer, I might have agreed with you, instead the deconstruction is purely magical and happens in a frozen moment in time that Richter can't even remember.

This choice will never come again! You will not remember this frozen moment, but it will determine your path. One day will be given for you to use these Powers, but the consequences of this choice will last forever.

The specific wording of the prompts shows that the Powers are deconstructed, so that Power can be siphoned from the Crystal. The physical crystal is not deconstructed in any way.

Do you wish to:
    Deconstruct the Level 2 Death Magic Power and earn 1,500 Settlement Points?
    Deconstruct the Level 2 Water Magic Power and earn 3,000 (base 1,500) Settlement Points?
    Deconstruct the Level 1 Death Magic Power and earn 500 Settlement Points?
    Deconstruct the Level 1 Water Magic Power and earn 1,000 (base 500) Settlement Points?
    Know This! Deconstructing all levels of this Heart Crystal will cause it to shatter.

Congratulations! You have siphoned Power from a captured Heart Crystal. You have chosen to deconstruct the Level 2 Death and Water Powers as well as the Level 1 Water Power of the Heart Crystal of the Shadow Trench.

Joe Schmoe and ShoughtLoud like this.
  11. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think a more important question is weather or not there is a way to gain The abilities inherent in the awakened powers by breaking the crystal down. That could conceivably be as powerful as settlement points.

i also don’t believe that core building, enchanting, and alchemy can use a heart crystal. I am of the opinion that only a pop can break down a pop heart Crystal.

12. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Abilities like Fast Learner and Bounty of Life?

13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm going to say no as those are gifts bestowed by the powers as they awaken. It stands to reason that when the crystal is deconstructed and the link to the pop severed, those gifts would be retracted as well.

14. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also going with an earlier bit from the Tefonim Queen, abilities are tied to the soul.

15. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Why would Ricther need to smash it with a hammer? He did deconstruct three parts of the crystal without smashing it. If he would have completely deconstructed all of the powers then it would have shattered and been reborn it some other point and time.

So why couldn’t he siphon the magic off at the forge. It also gives a prompt asking if you want to deconstruct items.

Those items are normally totally consumed. It doesn’t only consume the physical item it consumes its magical enchantments as well. I understand that is enchantment magic and there is some difference between that and raw magic.

The cauldron works on the same principle but it consumes all the magical abilities of its resources.

We have also seen magical items ambient mana powering and affecting other things. Those items ambient mana are only radiating not being siphoned off. In this case the core buildings might be capable of siphoning off some of that energy.

————————————————————————
    If a heart crystal of a place of power was thrown into the well of offering what do you think would be the results?

1. Nothing, you just lost a heart crystal.

2. The heart crystal is destroyed and you only get dungeon points.

3. The dungeon absorbs the manifestation of a place of power ( the heart crystal) then it gains bonuses to those ley line types.

4. The dungeon absorbs the heart crystal and learns those Magic’s.

5. The dungeon becomes aware of that Place of Power location. Then it grows until it can connect to feed off that Place of Power.

R.I.C.H.T.E.R likes this.
  16. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    lol

I wasn’t asking if you thought it was less then a symbol.

I think it has to be more then a symbol. I believe it has to be more then a symbol to manifest as a crystal. To me forming a crystal that can be deconstructed at the very least for settlement points has to be more then a symbol. I think that physical and magical ability would count for more then just being a symbol.

17. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

I am going with a modified 4. the heart crystal will give points towards the awakening of what ever powers it has. No where near enough to awaken those powers though.

that is probably true, however we already know that there are ways to steal abilities from people. I don’t think it is that much of a stretch that a way to copy/steal abilities from other sources exist as well. Hell eventually we might learn of a way to create abilities.

18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    6. The crystal reforms above the place of power and you get the message: Nice Try ;)

Aleron has already made deconstructing the crystal at the place of power insanely attractive. It grants access to buildings that are otherwise out of reach, that will be out of reach for a long time even with Richter's current growth.

Thus far it seems that settlement point can be turned into any other kind of points, at least building, research and Dungeon points. Forge and cauldron alteration points are possibly in reach as well. We know they can be used to powerlevel the quickening, so its conceivable that the core buildings can be used as well. Summoning points are unknown.

Then there are the options for altering the domain, though Richter is smart enough to realize that he has a source of free laborers in the mist workers that can be used for much of the work.

19. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What the settlement points can be used for also expands as the village levels iirc

20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This still presumes the abilities come from the crystal, but we know they are granted by the powers. The crystal allows the Master to form a link, and they can be used to tap into the powers, but unless you are a god-level figure I doubt you can make the leylines give you something that they do not wish to give. Don't forget they are selfaware.

Plus the only way we know off to steal abilities, involves using eldritch power to violate the laws of magic and tear the ability out of the soul of another (which is probably not harmless, I can't imagine having a large chunk of your soul torn out is a good experience). That's evil magic of the highest order.