Cores, Potions, & Everything Magical

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wasn’t think about rewards for finishing the quest.

I really like the thought. Seeing how that has already happened once it could very well happen again. I still hope he gets the stones back. I believe their is a difference in stones that hold the souls of the sentient.

2. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree. They are special level stones. But I still think its going to be much more difficult to get them into the stones than it is to capture the soul of a beast or monster.

Why do they need this anyway? Wouldn't the chaos seed still respawn as Hisako warned they might? We know the soulless are some of the vilest creatures in existence, turning evil and insane chaos seeds into soulless abominations with even fewer compunctions would be ... bad. Its definitely going to happen though.

If they are in a position to kill a chaos seed and capture his/ her soul they are probably in a position to capture said chaos seed and force them to bind to a location of the mist villages choosing. Prison, indentured servitude for x years (changing based on severity of the crimes committed. Some might go to the mines to be worked to death over and over till their final death, others to pick herbs for 10 hours a day with access to food, water and basic healing ) or execution would follow a swift, just and fair trial.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  3. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Souls of evil Chaos seeds could make some of the most powerful items ever in the land. Any souls willing to be used would be even better. The souls of the dark aberration after being cleansed could make a full set of items. @Dragon, You should look at this site
    Reworking Souls & Soul uses in D&D [WIP] | Realms & Rocs

4. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @Dragon, you had mentioned forcing chaos seeds to set a new spawn point. Why not grant the evil chaos seeds the ability to walk through the blue sands. Then have them choose the center of the sands as their respawn point. After that put them to death and take their souls. Ricther could have guards posted to 24/7 afterwards just to make sure none of them escaped the sands.

5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It wouldn't work as far as we know. Thus far the only place a chaos seed can set their respawn point to is the center of a settlement (if they have permission from the local ruler) or by default the area where they initially entered the land.

Not that it makes a difference for the chaos seed in question. A naked, disoriented level xx chaos seed, is an easy target even for low-level guards with enchanted armor and weapons. After respawning they would immediately be taken prisoner and taken back to their fate, whether its execution or imprisonment. Should they resist, killing someone much higher in level with a special race should make for good experience for the guards in question.

I disagree fundamentally with the idea of taking their souls unless it is absolutely necesary to prevent them from coming back. It is the darkest, most evil act imaginable depriving them off their afterlife, and all so they can craft a slightly better piece of gear. Very few acts would warrant such a punishment. Plus embracing such evil is sure to backfire.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  6. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not sure about that, probably true, but it could be that special locations count to.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Agreed there will be other locations that aren't settlement centers like the mist village or the gnoll camp.

8. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You got a long way to sell me on that.

First of all the we have really only seen Two people doing it or forceably making others change. Ricther was the first because he wanted to come back at his PoP. Then Heman forced several to change their spawn points to the Gnoll camp. Which I wouldn’t call a Major Settlement. The other issue I have is that chaos seeds have been spawned all over the Land from Earth. From oceans to deserts chaos seeds died spawn and respawning. Ricther was blessed with a secret magical site. The Gnoll camp wasn’t anything special either. Is there a quote saying they can’t choose any location to respawn at?

I also think it is better to commit their bodies and reincarnations to the dungeon. The dungeon consumes living matter and it would remove the need of carrying out the death sentence by hand. There are serious mental consequences for executioners. That could be averted partially by the dungeon.

I wouldn’t say that’s embracing evil. It’s more about turning evil against evil. Making something good of bad is always the best choice. What was it Yoshi said about using things to make you strong?

I didn’t suggest taking all chaos seeds souls. Only the Evilist Of evil.

Dragon likes this.
  9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The gnoll camp was a settlement in its own right, not a major one perhaps, but a settlement nonetheless. Pop's are another option, even uinhabited ones.

There is no quote saying they cannot set their respawn points as they please. But it has also never been implied that they can set it as they please, instead so far they have changed them after getting an offer from a settlement leader or taking control of a settlement.

Everyone got tied to their original spawn area by default.

on a sidenote
    This leads me back to whether original spawn points are safeish. Both Heman and Richter seem to have been safe as long as they stayed there, it was only after leaving it they got attacked. I know the imp said otherwise, but he had every reason to upsell the favor he was doing for Richter, and he is a sadistic asshole.

10. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not true, the only actual requirement named was a safe location. Given that we know what happened with heman i can only assume it is safe from beasts.

11. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What benefits could Ricther obtain by using blood magic to enchant weapons. All we have seen so far are items enchanted using normal magic. Which I would think Ricthers Place of Powers magic would be more powerful due to the amount of ambient magic in his forge. I would like to see some higher level magic used in the forge. To me blood magic seems as if it would be the best to enchant weapons with.

12. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Extra damage against Richter.
    Arrows that seek out Richter's blood.
    Curses that seek out Richter's blood.

Enhanced enchantments tied to Richter or his lineage.
    Blood bound enchantetd blades, jewelry, armor and all sorts of items.

Specifically blood seeker weapons, blood drinker weapons, vampiric weapons etc. and their armor/item brethren are likely to be greatly strengthened or even impossible to make without blood crystal.

13. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Why would it all seek out Ricther or do extra damage to him?

You do know Ricther isn’t the only being in the Land with blood.

There are a lot of warm blooded creatures roaming around. Some have magically imbued blood, and others are just magical creatures. I would think the blood of all three would grant some powerful enchantments. The more magical the creature the more powerful the enchantments should be.

14. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    the first three lines were just joke answers, though things that i've seen other authors do. A witch forexampl can do a lot of damage with a beings blood in her hands :)

The next part would basically be stronger versions of regular enchantments that are balanced by being of no value to those that are not of Richter's blood or whatever other person's blood was used to grow the bloodcrystal.

15. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Am wondering wether Life, Water, Air and Dark Crystals will eventually begin to Form in the Crystal Mine due to the effects of the PoPs Mana Energy's? Might be able to speed that up by Infusing Crystal Outcrops with those Elemental Energy's, or by using Potions with similar effects on them.
    For that matter it might be possible to Create other types of Mana Aligned Crystals (like Earth, Light, Death, Fire, Spirit, chaos, ect) by Infusing those Mana types into some of them, although the process would likely be slower.
    But if Richter was to try to add a Chaos Spark to a Crystal outcrop while he was Infusing Chaos Magic to it he may very well be able easily Create some Chaos Crystals?

S'ahelas and Captain BlackJack like this.
  16. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I feel like this is one of the areas where chaos magic would be of less benefit. Nothing to base that off of, just seems like asking for trouble.

17. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If a regular enchantment grants a bonus of +1 then a higher magic should at least grant a +2 bonus. Then if that higher magic from blood was magically imbued say with chaos it might offer +3 against any chaos blooded beings or it might bestow a +2 against the race of the blood type and an additional +1 against the chaos variants of that type. I don’t think blood magic only works for specific beings but it works for all beings of that race. Although It would be more powerful for the individual whose blood was used. There would always be a racial bonus and an additional bonus against the specific individual.

I wasn’t purely speaking of using blood crystal either. Magical crystal has been the only material we have seen used to enchant with As of now. Magical crystal isn’t the only thing that is imbued by magic. Blood enchantments might be done at different times. Adding blood while folding the metal or blood quenching could impart it’s power. Knowing that black ice is gaining more power while it remains in the skull of the hellish mauler might make the blood quench a longer and stronger quench. I suppose we could carry this back to the previous site and my theory of magic strength and and magic exposure time.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  18. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Why?
    It already has the benefit of being less likely to be resisted.

Do blood enchantments have to be race or being specific? Why not just "generally effective, but extra effect on creatures with blood" kinda like sonic damage and crystalline creatures.

19. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's likely an option as well. It wasn't meant to be exclusive but rather a way to use blood crystal. That's thus far the best use of blood magic for item creation that we have.

Blood crystal might work very well with some enchantments (higher bonuses, especially for enchantments based on blood magic), but backfire with others that are too far removed. That may well be a general rule.

Blood being one of the deep powers is at least a tier below Chaos which is one of the higher powers.

20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I totally agree that blood magic should be capable of being generalized as well. Blood magic should be capable of empowering any type of general spell as well as blood type spells.