Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Not The Land' started by Commander Azure, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Commander Azure

Commander Azure Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My school just closed for coronavirus

2. Commander Azure

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My school just closed for coronavirus

3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Returning to you, Azure, take care. According to the danish news media italian doctors in the affected areas are saying there is a small but significant percentage of younger people, people in good health, that get very ill.

Edit: Apparently that small but significant percentage is nearly 25% of 40-50 year olds.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  4. Commander Azure

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I guess I just wanted a place on here to talk about this with how crazy life has been recently.

My dad had lunch with someone who had it, and we may be going into quarantine (hopefully not) :(

I'm on the American East Coast, so I don't know if anybody has more experience with it, but schools just shut down.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I stocked up on an extra couple weeks of dry goods just in case. Getting crazy out there...

6. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

88%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The school where I teach shut down as of Friday. (Like all public and private schools in Ohio USA, and universities) Will be providing online instruction/lessons for at least three weeks. I am expecting the three weeks to be extended. Many of the universities are doing online through the end of the semester. The same may happen to the K-12 schools, too.

7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Same is happening in Italy and Scandinavia. Borders are closed down, no foreigners can enter and no nationals can leave - unless they have important business that justifies it, such as a dying relative. I haven't looked into the case for the rest of Europe, but I imagine they are doing much the same. I do know Londoners think they are immortal and are still living their lives as usual for now.

All schools, kindergardens, universities and noncritical government functions are closed down as people are sent home. No conferences, no public gatherings beyond 100 people, recommendations to stay at least 3 meters from each other . Stores offering 'mix your own candy' and similar have closed it down because its a place lots of people gather and its fairly easy to unintentionally contaminate the candy with airborne viruses. Wherever possible private companies are asking people to work from home or shutting down in the case of restaurants and indoor activities. Basically, the country is on complete lockdown in order to slow the spread of the disease, the hope at this point is to spread out the number of infected over a longer timeframe so hospitals can cope, rather than the kind of overflow we see in Italy where patients are lying in hospital corridors because there simply isn't enough beds or even space to lie down on the floor inside the various rooms. In Italy doctors routinely have to decide who gets care and who dies, meaning a lot of elderly people do not make the cut for treatment in order to save younger people that have a better chance of making it.

Fortunately we are a food production country and we have access to the traderoutes for the entire baltic as well as much of the north sea, much of it has a stopover here. Some people did buy up and stockpile a ton of food, but the shops keep restocking. On everything except the good rye bread, sigh. Guess we all make sacrifiices ;)

As far as I can tell this early corona could get really, really bad in both Europe and the US. It has in Italy, and it looks like Iran's health system has basically collapsed under the pressure. There are photos of 100 meter long ditches in a local cemetery being used as a form of massgrave. Meanwhile the Iranian government says there are 12 infected in the city, and no dead, meaning they are spreading obvious disinformation that people KNOW is an obvious lie, they just have to visit the cemetary. Which means they are going to do dumb shit because they really cannot trust their government to handle the crisis, things that create shortages and end up spreading the disease. My guess is their hospitals are already overwhelmed to the point where they cannot give the kind of lifesaving care that has so far kept deathrates at around 3.4%. In Italy they say 25% of 40-50 year olds need intensive care to recover. Its worse for older people and vulnerable groups, so It figures that if Corona gets badly enough out of control this thing could kill off large portions of the population. Hence the massgrave.

8. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have taken a boat to an island on the east coast. I will be waiting out the storm there. I plan to see how the fishing is to supplement my food supply, wish me luck. There is an aquifer on the island so no worry about water at least.

9. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Heil Son of X, Mighty Johan!

I hope you are aware of the biological weapon called corona, media lies, real number excced estimates by 100x, survive bro. google novel strategies for corona virus 2020.

so foreshadows what is that?

Also no idea why MV after the litch battle did not send a scouting party immediatelly to try to locate Richto through the portal?! No Slime maybe? Just send mist workers.. first, summoned creatures later..
    Yes, and collect all the loot from the fallout of the fight..
    Mauler, Litch body, Wind Deamon etc... Sword..

Johan and Dragon like this.
  10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I see you are completely calm about Corona. Just don't buy toilet paper instead of food and you'll survive the collapse of the US. Just to see the second colonisation from good old europe coming in to plunder - I mean save - you all.

PokemonThug, Cire122 and Andrew Lynas like this.
  11. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Tracking Every Coronavirus Case in the U.S.: Full Map

This map gives you a pretty good idea where the Corona virus is already. Well, to be honest, those are the ones reporting in. Could be plenty of people who do not trust the government enough to go to them or have good reason not to (as is the case for millions of illigal immigrants). Corona could be spreading like a wildfire through those communities.

12. TravisBach

TravisBach Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm in Colorado and our state govt has been shutting more and more stuff down. Schools closed last Friday, every public gathering pretty much canceled, the governor ordered all the ski resorts closed, optional public buildings like museums are all closed, and so on. I heard a rumor that the National parks like Rocky Mtn may also close.

We've moved all our social activities to online-only for the time being. I'm running my homemade LitRPG campaign by video conference and the Lancer RPG I'm in is now using dischord+tabletop simulator (which is hella awesome btw.) I've gone from lining up hiking trips and adventures for my son to set him up with online playdates like Minecraft and Fortnite instead.

Thankfully, I've spent a lot of my time in February making extra shopping trips to load up my home with all the goods, foods, and meds we need to weather weeks of this. I'm already doing research on how I'm going to resupply us and I'll start testing the lowest-risk channels in about 10 days. If they suck, then I'll at least find out a few weeks in advance of when I actually need to reload our pantry.

The schools here are closed till March 30th, but I'm seeing how COVID19 won't peak in the USA until around mid-april / early-may which is as intimidating as all hell. Avoiding COVID19 is basically impossible and a vaccine is a year away so the reality of the situation isn't about not getting sick its about getting sick at a time when the hospitals aren't overwhelmed. IMO that means making it all the way to summer. ~___~

Paul Bellow and Johan like this.
  13. Commander Azure

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I'm in DC and I know someone who had it

14. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Aleron is talking Corona and he is actually making sense. People who want to know more about it should watch his video, he is a doctor and he does know his shit.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. Cire122

Cire122 Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hahaha I can't wait for the "saviors" to meet our friendly rural folk. They can be mighty accommodating.

Dragon likes this.
  16. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Or our friendly urban folk. They can be mighty accommodating.

Joe Schmoe and Cire122 like this.
  17. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hmm i would only trust italy numbers cause they be the worst

18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In Italy the coronavirus has had longer to spread and their health system is straining under the pressure (Iran seems to be doing far worse, but it is a closed country). They are losing more people because of that. The rest of us haven't reached the peak yet, which means we have spare resources to care for all our ill unlike Italy where doctors have to choose which patients will receive minimal care so others with a better chance can make it. If our strategies (lowering the number of infected at any given time, as well as hopefully breaking the chains of infection) work as they seem to do in some places we may never reach that point.

That said, with certain political leaders bungling basic precautions and stuffing airports for 8 hours with thousands of people, all packed in close with potentially a couple carriers in their midst, it seems some are actively aiding the virus through incompetence. Who knows how many of those people were infected and are even now in supermarkets buying groceries, unaware they are spreading the virus to others?

19. Cire122

Cire122 Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think people are struggling with:
    • the concept of exponential growth
    • the virus spreads while asymptomatic
    • there is a long asymptomatic period where you don't know you are spreading the virus
    • it is airborn
    • It can infect through the eyes so masks are not as effective at preventing spread compared to other viruses
    • and that it survives on surfaces for multiple days
    • The old are at the most risk but if your country runs out of health supplies those who would have been fine with minimal treatment wont be able to get it. That increases the death rate. (See South Korea 0.6% vs Itay maybe as high as 7%. I also only trust European numbers and American numbers as more tests are done)

With all that in mind no matter what your political leader does (except nothing) if you don't like them they are wrong. Over react and they are considered starting a panic and possibly tyrannical. People start running and buying all the food, etc. all at once stressing supply chains and putting everyone in large crowds spreading the virus. They could also possibly flatten the curve and are seen as freaking out over nothing.

If they try and down play it for a while saying people should stock up a bit (hopefully avoiding stressing the grocery stores and not having people fight), social distance, this is a worse flu bad but we can beat it, shut down international travel, etc. This is effective for keeping it slow at the beginning and limiting a "run on the banks scenario" with regards to supplies as many people prepped prior the the mass hysteria. Then you roll out the bigger guns to stop the spread.

Either way your government/leader is the worst/best and I hope you all stay healthy and safe. Don't let anyone shame you for taking this seriously, but also try and stay pragmatic/level headed.

20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Masks are also not effective if they are damp. Meaning that you can't wear the same mask for half a day and expect it to be effective. Unless you are already ill and are using the mask to prevent yourself from spreading droplets into the air that might infect others.

The problem with lying/ downplaying is they are eroding public trust at a time when it is critically needed. That means next time fewer people will listen and follow recommendations. The governments that have said it as it is seem to me to be handling things well. Those that have shown they do not trust their own people to make mature decisions given the full facts, less so.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020