Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Not The Land' started by Commander Azure, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Cire122

Cire122 Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh so you support tyranny and racist travel bans and mass hysteria /s lol. I have very vocal family all across the American political spectrum. I am sitting back watching the family group chat with popcorn and enjoying it thoroughly.

Good info on the masks. Makes me wonder why we are hearing stories of healthcare workers passing or fainting out from low blood sugar/dehydration because they don't want to remove there masks. Each time they take off the masks to eat or drink they have to put a new mask on and there is a limited supply. Maybe something is better than nothing mentally?

2. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Masks might not work well, but FFP do work. 3-M has some good white papers and general info on what works and why.

3. Cire122

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks!

4. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There is nothing racist about a travelban directed at all foreign citizens. Foreign citizens are not necesarily from different races, they are from different nationalities.

Tyranny is the unlawful abuse of power. This is lawful exertion of power to the extent it is necesary and supported by the vast majority of the population, hence not tyranny.

Mass hysteria is unavoidable. We had some the first few days after the government closed down stores, but the government killed it by remaining honest and transparent instead of trying to "manage the dimwits". Stores are ones again filled with food and toilet paper because people stopped stockpiling. Real humans are not as dumb as they are in stories and films, most have the maturity and intelligence to listen when trustworthy leaders speak up. If any such leader exist. We are fortunate that nearly all political parties, as well as the queen who has spoken out in an almost political fashion for the first time since ww2, have stood firm and unified so far.

Yes that would be something is better than nothing. It is also worth noting - I should have mentioned as much - that some mouth binds can stop droplets for longer durations, but it is only a small percentage.

Edit:
    That's not to say there isn't a lot of fear, but I see very few people with mouthbinds. Thats partially because we have been informed on how little use they really are longterm and because we have been asked to leave the dwindling supplies for health personel.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  5. Cire122

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That was said in obvious jest... if you reread my posts I did not make any political statements and was poking fun at people in their in praise and criticism of political views.

Also, you will note I did not down play the severity of the virus. Just trying to bring levity to a serious situation.

Glad you think your leadership is doing the right thing across the pond and hope you continue to stay healthy.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Might have read too much into it. My apologies, a week of total isolation from other people and figting android studio for most of it (using its emulator on a computer with AMD processor is complicated to say the least) have left my nerves ragged. Knowing I basically wasted a week on something basic is... frustrating XD

I think our leadership are doing the best job they can, playing catchup after the Tyrol disaster, something no one saw coming. I wish I could say the same for the US but I fear this issue will be infected with partisan issues as has happened to every other issue, preventing effective action until it is too late, as it is in northern Italy. Except in a country covering half the continent, with tens of millions of illigals and poor people that have no faith in the government nor the resources to handle this on their own.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  7. Cire122

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    On the bright side while the news might be focused on partisan bickering most people forget the United States are just that, United States. The federal government gets stronger with each passing decade but much of the power still rest in the states hands which have been given significant leeway to do what is best for each unique community. The federal government is taking action and local states are making more tailored action felt by the average person. For the most part there has been pretty strong leadership from top to bottom and good people all around even if most people wont admit it. People like to focus on the negatives. Things are rough and getting rougher but we will make it through.

Dragon likes this.
  8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just looked at the numbers for the US - that is bad. From 2000 officially infected to 20.000 in a week.

Your government has a couple weeks at most to break/slow down the upward trend before you are in a defacto disaster situation (if you aren't already). You have massive exponential growth and to be frank, you have way too many vulnerable people and people who cannot afford to stay safe at home.

I look forward to seeing your government handle this. Hopefully they have more intelligence, determination and integrity than i ascribe to them.

9. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Or we could have virus parties like Australia and get herd immunity.

10. Cire122

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A few problems are that any government action won't be felt till two weeks after they are implemented due to the long incubation period and we are facing a spike in cases now that we are finally able to test. It is becoming clear to most of the western world this is significantly worse than even most doom and gloom people thought. We have shown a will to act and thankfully outside of the news there has been a real joint effort of both left and right. I fear this will get much worse with many dieing that could have lived due to lack of resources. This is what people mean when they talk about events being acts of g-d (black swan events.)

I hope everyone stays safe and healthy. This is a history book chapter not a footnote and I hope we rise to the occasion.

11. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Assuming you are serious, otherwise please ignore :)

Getting to that point means 60-70% of your 329.5 million population has to get infected with a virus that has a 3.4% deathrate at best. Boris Johnson wanted the same thing until he realized it meant at least 250 thousand people would die (6.7 million in your case, assuming 60% of the population gets it and you can keep the deathrate down to 3.4%), assuming the health system could cope with it.

Which it can't, no one has the capacity to deal with the exponential growth of the virus, and the massive amount of resources required to keep the death rate from spiking far higher than it already is (look at Italy, 53.578 known infected, 4825 dead with another 2857 in critical condition and a total 6072 recovered. Even if we assume there are 3 times the number of official cases out there we are still looking at a 14.66% death rate. Italy Coronavirus: 53,578 Cases and 4,825 Deaths - Worldometer . Thats in a country with 60 million people, so less than 1% are currently infected). Thats the reason many other countries are struggling to keep it from spreading by keeping everyone at home and closing down everything except critical infrastructure and foodstores. These measures are costing tens of billions of euro's and it will cost hundreds more before the outbreak is over, but it is better than the alternatives.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  12. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Would not trust any statistics coming out form China(If they would post event 1/10 true shit China would go bankrupt due to economic isolation; real numbers I hear are 8 mlm dead), China has bribed WHO, so when the biological weapon has spread to EVERY country in the world, only then those f**ks have declared a pandemic.

You want real statistics look at Italy only. and calculate the rates from there dead/healed.
    Real numbers are probably 100X worse, not enough test kits, also healthy dudes can be carriers for say 6 weeks(and after 6 weeks they get sick and gg, elderly gg in 14d)..

13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dude don't spread false info, Corona carriers show no symptoms for a few days not several weeks. Its true that they can spread the disease without showing symptoms. Italy does give us a look into what the disease is like when doctors cannot cope with the scale of the outbreak, Iran is another example except one where the system has broken down.

Now that it is spreading in Africa this is turning into a global disaster.

14. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It is like a sign from nature! (There is a large list of existing conditions that are at greater risk than a healthy young adult, but I'm going to simplify it) All Smokers and Old people (Italy has large % pop) will be killed by nature! It will be a new day at the end of the tunnel that is the virus!

15. Cire122

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thing change daily with this so this could have changed since I heard this yesterday.

With that in mind I heard adding the latest data from NY Corona has a 19% hospitalization rate. Roughly 5% extremely severe. The reason young people aren't dieing in higher numbers is because their bodies can handle the ventilators better. In the more extreme cases even younger people still gasp for breath and need to be restrained with 90% oxygen being used which is terrifying. When we run out of ventilators they are expecting a spike in younger deaths because it doesn't matter if with the help of a ventilator they would survive. I am going to assume most of us on this board are men so just one more interesting fact. Covid is currently killing men at twice the rate of women.

16. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sounds about right, though with the cavat that fewer young people get to the point where they need the respirator. But once they do its game over if the hospitals are already overloaded.

Edit: 7% of Italian infected are in intensive care currently and that 56% of cured/dead have made it. So thats something, though they have another fifty thousand infected, nearly 3000 seriously. On the other hand some people never get reported because they have light symptoms.

Latest news, the virus has likely mutated early on, the original version had a much harder time infecting humans rapidly. The newer strain (both spread in Wuhan and both have spread to the rest of the world) is far more virulent.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  17. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Men smoke and have cardiovascular at a much higher rate, any so men should die more than women.

18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So Trump is considering (likely Trump speak for "has decided on") opening up the US by easter. I wonder how he means to prevent govenors from keeping on their local restrictions. Executive order?

19. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You're assuming that he's thought that far ahead.

20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well it almost has to be planned out beforehand. No one is this dumb.