Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Not The Land' started by Commander Azure, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I in turn would not trust the countless smaller media sources, because we already have a lot of new players coming in. Most of them are worse than the major ones if not outright puppets of one interest or another. Inflating their numbers would just create more chaos, more sensationalist news designed to attract attention and more claims of fake news.

Our setup forces the news networks to police themselves and each other, while the government does very little. It works because we enforce ethical standards on the press as well as on journalists instead of giving them free reins and expecting things to work out on their own. There is also a branch of our justice system dedicated to enforcing these standards, run by a collection of media leaders, union representatives and representatives of our version of the supreme court.

2. Cire122

Cire122 Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There are multiple example of organizations setting up their own standards like the CFA for finance. I am not opposed to a similar setup for media but the difference is those don't hold the weight of law and I don't lose my natural right to speak.

Again we still have laws on the books for things like fraud, libel, slander, etc.

Judges are not enforcing those up to what I think would be reasonable because even judges have been shown to have their own biases. Legislating from the bench is an example of judicial failure and a power grab by the judiciary and an erosion of the constitution.

There is no perfect solution to this but I am sure people like us could come to a reasonable middle ground. However if you want to change the constitution you need a much higher threshold than other options. Also, getting those rights back is almost impossible with significant violence.