Cover Critique Thread

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by Joshua Mason, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Joshua Mason

Joshua Mason Steam Whistle Alley LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Heya. Was hoping we could pin a cover critique thread here like we have with the blurb critique thread. I hate posting for cover critiques on facebook. Anyway I just DLed photoshop so figured I would try something minimalist for a WIP. Thoughts? I went with the background to give it a 3d/computery effect.
    [​IMG]

Jay and Yuli Ban like this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hey, you can't publish an RTS novel until I get mine out next year! ;)

Just kidding.

A bit plain at this point. Which might not be a bad thing? Reminds me of Armada ...

Joshua Mason likes this.
  3. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like the background perspective. The city silhouette in the bottom is subtle but gives it a professional look.

The alien ships however look like clouds. I only thought aliens because of the title. They need definition.

Might want to consider making the title in white so it would stand out more like the RTS is doing.

Joshua Mason and Paul Bellow like this.
  4. Joshua Mason

Joshua Mason Steam Whistle Alley LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You think we can pin a cover thread?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like it, although I agree the title might need a bit more contrast?

The ships do kind of look like old black-and-white movie flying saucers, but that might be totally what you're going for. If not, I'd like to see a little more detail? Maybe some small "cut-outs" of lights or something? So that a glance can show that they're spaceships more easily?

Joshua Mason and Paul Bellow like this.
  6. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Really solid although i think you should change the city/ships color to either more lavender or a different color as is the color feels like someone spilled a Gatorade on the book and stained what should be white to a more lavender color
    and maby make the title the color of the city at the bottom or make it darker as is it looks like its trying to be that color but isn't

7. Chet_Sandberg_Author

Chet_Sandberg_Author Level 4 (Warrior) LitRPG Author Citizen

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really like this!

8. Tim Kaiver

Tim Kaiver Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Fantasy Author Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like it, Joshua. My favorite part is the skyline. The ships match the retro feel. The title feels out of place in terms of font, making me wonder if it can match the standout aspect of the skyline. I’m no designer, so I can’t describe what I mean much better than that. I like it though!

Paul Bellow likes this.
  9. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Playing around. I kinda like the second one. Thoughts?

roguelike2.JPG
    roguelike4.JPG

thumbie.JPG

LWFlouisa and Jay like this.
  10. Jun

Jun Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Citizen

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    These two covers give me very different feelings, though assuming that they are both related to the story I'm partial to the first one if you can change the title font.

The second one feels generic to me... Like... just about every fantasy LitRPG has a dude in armor. The first one has something you don't see every day - a giant horned dude who could step on a draft horse with a red sword. Assuming that this guy factors into the plot that'd be my choice.

That said, neither one gives me the impression of a gritty rogue type of story.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  11. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks. The second has tentacles which you don't see all the time. Haha. I think it has that D&D book vibe going too. I think it might be the guy's head on #2 maybe?

This isn't a story about a rogue but a story about a roguelike game - ie playing lots of different characters.

Appreciate the input!

12. Jun

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]

So here's my WIP. I'm doing this one all on my own rather than using a designer.

I'm 100% using the goblin since I've already paid the illustrator for the drawing. I'm using it as a character image of someone that enters the story at the end of the book I'm currently writing, and she'll be one of the two focus PoVs.

This is the low res version of the goblin. I haven't gotten around to removing that layer and sticking in the high res one I got from the artist yet.

Things I'm contemplating:
    - Too dark around the edges?
    - Placement of "Freehaven Online" text. Could possibly put it by the C. The color will be changed from white.
    - Painted effect of the background image okay? It's a heavily modified/filtered photograph of a castle.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  13. Jun

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    When I see tentacles my mind goes to C'thulhu, that said the eye is immediately drawn to the figure in armor so they might get overlooked in the thumbnail version.

If I were making the decision I'd ask myself: Which of these elements are more representative of the story? If the story is more about battling mondo devilman then go with that. If it's more along the lines of crawling around a castle with tentacle monsters that might be the better option.

The first speaks to a very open enviornment, whereas the second is confining.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  14. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @Paul Bellow I'd like to cast my vote for the second image as it's more striking.... Also I like the shield in there, the splash of red brings it together

@Jun Love love LOVE the name! made me smile!
    Regarding the image... any chance of getting it altered? The goblin's ear is too predominant and errr.... ugly.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Paul Bellow likes this.
  16. Simon Fiasco

Simon Fiasco Bringer of the Avocadopocalypse LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, so it really depends on what the title of the book means. If by "Roguelike," you mean that this book is going to be a dungeon delve in the vein of old roguelike games, the second one makes more sense. If by "Roguelike," you mean that the main character is "like a rogue," then you have a problem, because neither of the covers really say that. If you mean both, then the second one is more apt, but still misses the mark.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  17. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @Jun in thumbnail it's a bit hard to read the title - possibly darken the sky to make it pop more?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  18. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Personally I like the second one best myself? Seems to fit the idea of a Roguelike dungeon and has some nice touches of color. I'm not 100% sold on it to be honest, but out of the two, that one is my favorite.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  19. Simon Fiasco

Simon Fiasco Bringer of the Avocadopocalypse LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I started playing around with cover ideas. Keep in mind, this is just a mock-up. Don't be too harsh! *chuckles*

[​IMG]

Paul Bellow likes this.
  20. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How's the thumbnail look?