Do most LitRPG Readers use Kindle Unlimited?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by R.M. Prioleau, Sep 1, 2017.

?

Where do you buy/read your LitRPG books?

1. Amazon (I buy them individually)

75.0%
  2. Amazon (Kindle Unlimited)

83.3%
  3. Barnes & Noble Nook

8.3%
  4. Apple iBooks

8.3%
  5. Kobo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Google Play

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other vendor (specify in the comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. R.M. Prioleau

R.M. Prioleau Literary Assassin LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just trying to understand where most of the audience is. I listen to the LitRPG Podcast religiously and Ramon always mentions KU, so I was curious as to whether or not KU is where everyone is at.

As an author, KU is killing a lot of us financially (not me, personally, since I don't use KU, but a lot of authors in general). The payouts are minuscule -- less than half a cent per page read, last I checked. Additionally, KU has been a recent hotbed for scammers selling giant books riddled with gibberish. As a result, authors have been pulling all of their books out of KU and selling them at other places (iBooks, B&N, Kobo, etc.) in addition to Amazon (because if a book is in KU, it means that it's only available exclusively on Amazon).

So I'm curious to know if the majority of LitRPG readers only use KU to get their 'free' books, or do they also buy books from Amazon and/or other places?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Both, and you kinda have to do KU with LitRPG because the quality spectrum is iffy.

John Ward, VRRanger and R.M. Prioleau like this.
  3. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I primarily go with KU. I'd never be able to afford my reading habit otherwise.

I do buy a few, up to my Amazon allowance of $50/month, but once that's gone it's solely KU - and you've gotta have at least something on KU that I enjoyed if I'm gonna be spending my limited budget on the rest of your stuff.

Even so, though, consider the split here. For a 100 page novel you'd be getting between 40 and 50 cents per reader. If you sell it at $2.99 (fair price for a 100 page novella, imo), you'd get $2.09 per sale.

So that said, you'd need 5 or 6 KU readers to read your book to equal out the one copy that you'd sell. Which doesn't seem unreasonable, all things considered, because KU readers are far more likely to pick up books from new authors than people who actually have to spend money. I've no hard data on that, but it passes my gut check. There's also a set of folks who, like me, will purchase a book they've read on KU for free if we liked it enough.

KU is the ultimate way for eBook readers to vote with our wallets. I'm guessing the metrics you get as authors tells you pretty much exactly what people who don't like it think, since we'd be abandoning it partway through. That way, you get a far more accurate picture of how people are taking to your writing than the rather limited system of starred reviews since most people will only take the time to leave a review if they either love something or hate something.

And in neither of those cases is the feedback generally constructive or helpful.

Felicity Weiss and R.M. Prioleau like this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Personally, I see KU as training-wheels for new authors. They offer a way to reach a larger audience and build your fan base while still getting paid a little.

The most important thing I've ever heard from Jeff Bezos is that he concentrates on the things that won't change in the next ten years. I see a lot of people (authors) adjusting to every KU iteration (we're on number 3 now). I'm trying to concentrate on what won't change in 10 years time - making customers (readers) happy. That's my end goal. For now, I use KU because it can actually be more than a sale for me with the longer books. And I get more publicity/readers.

I'm keeping my prices lower than most, though, for a variety of reasons.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  5. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And you get more KU sales than traditional sales, yeah?

I think the Russian authors have it pretty well figured out. Like your average every day heroin dealer, your first hit is free - the rest, you've gotta pay for. I piss and moan about that with both KU and Smashwords, but it is pretty damn effective as a sales ploy.

R.M. Prioleau and Felicity Weiss like this.
  6. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's about 50/50...They don't tell us the exact numbers of borrows, which makes it difficult to know for sure.

7. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That seems odd. You'd think they'd want their content creators to have accurate analytics.

8. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As a reader and a writer I use KU. Currently KU last gave out .0038 cents a page I think. Which is pretty bad, but it does allow more eyes on your books which hopefully means more people will want to read more of your books. Having had over 1 Mil pages read before from my books, it can still add up to a nice little chunk of change.
    As a reader Ku is super helpful. If I start to read a book and I just can't finish it I can drop it without having to think about having paid for it. The author gets a little something for my attempt as well.
    My books selling for under $5 means it doesn't hurt me as much to have them on KU. if I was trying to sell them for more then the low value of KU would hurt me more.

R.M. Prioleau and Paul Bellow like this.
  9. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well ... SCAMMERS. It's like Google. They don't want to give out too much info or it'll be used against them in gaming the system.

Some Russian coder in Canada walked away with millions recently from a KU scam. It's crazy. I figure in another few years they'll figure out how to deal with it using software - like Google.

R.M. Prioleau likes this.
  10. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also, some lists (NY Times and USA Today) you have to be wide - ie no KU.

11. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    With KU do you get paid for people borrowing it a second time and rereading it?

12. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Damn. 0.0038 cents per page is shite. That's not even beer money, but if you want to price your 500 page books at $2.99 instead of a more reasonable $4.99, at least you're only losing 20 cents or so for a KU reader to go cover to cover versus someone buying it outright.

R.M. Prioleau and Felicity Weiss like this.
  13. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No. Which is why some have problem with so-called "bonus books" - used a lot in romance. You write a 50k novel and then put 5+ other 50k novels at the end of each one. So some people read or skip over the same novels and the author gets paid twice. ALTHOUGH - I think KU 3 has worked toward combating that some.

R.M. Prioleau and VRRanger like this.
  14. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm going with a classic ramp-up strategy.

Book 1 - $0.99 (loss leader)
    Book 2 - $2.99
    Book 3 - $2.99
    Book 4 - $3.99

At least for now while I'm building my audience. Been tough not having support of "First Wave" authors, but I'll get there in time.

When I do get popular, I'll probably reconsider the ceiling - maybe $5.99 for a 500 pager... Until then, I want to move copies and build fan base.

Also, the page count listed on the Amazon page doesn't usually match the KENPC count (which is what they use to pay us...) So, for example, a book listed as 500 pages might have 600+ KENPC. They keep the way they calculate that a secret too.

R.M. Prioleau and VRRanger like this.
  15. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Isn't it usually about 400 words per page standard? That's what they use for research papers in colleges as a quick and dirty estimate. For partial pages they count 10 words per line.

16. James G Patton

James G Patton Horrific Pun Master LitRPG Author Citizen

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Here is another thing that I didn't see mentioned. By going KU we also get 70% royalty from a digital sale as opposed to umm 30% I think.

17. R.M. Prioleau

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well because we're talking about ereader 'pages' (the screen and font size), this is probably a different case.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  18. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, it's a secret-sauce algo that calculates it. I figure they probably try to strip all the formatting then go by word count + paragraph count? There's probably a ton of different factors.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  19. R.M. Prioleau

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've noticed a lot of books that are in KU tend to have larger line spacing. I guess a sneaky way to get those page counts in, but I assume that Amazon already nipped that in the bud after 3.0.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  20. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Anything up to $2.98 you get 30% of, $2.99 and up you get 70% of, I think. I was reading up on it earlier when I was trying to put up numbers.