Dwarven Mine

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Dragon, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not sure whether this subject has been raised before. We've talked about settling dwarves in the mountains behind the village as an easy way to maximize the available living space longterm. Here and now it could mean saving an expensive and time intensive second wall built further out.

That said, do you guys think the village dwarves might be interested in turning the first level of the mines into habitation areas? They'd obviously have to mine out what little minerals remains, and assuming minerals respawn over time that could be an issue.

Still, with an entrance gate and a gate blocking off the lower levels that they should be able to turn the place into a minor hold. It would take time to expand the various tunnels, but its not like it has to happen tomorrow.

2. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't know about living in the mines, but I can see the dwarves carving a dwarven district of the village under the mountain.

Mister Bill likes this.
  3. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 12 (Rogue) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think that if they lived in the mine that stealing of precious jewels would become an issue again, and it would be even more difficult to remedy it.

PokemonThug and Mister Bill like this.
  4. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like this idea pretty well. I think it’s more doable.

5. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]

They could build up along the wall.

The issue with building into the rock is that it opens them up for attack from within the mountain.

PokemonThug and Mister Bill like this.
  6. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just need to get those inside the mountain on your side. Or clear it.

7. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think we had talked about this before. I don’t like Ricther not have a small force over looking his village from the mountains . Nor do I like him not having any between the village and the catacombs. Beneath Ricthers ruined keep he has a chapel with court yards around it. There is no reason why those areas haven’t been explored to there fullest. We have no idea what is beyond or even in those court yards. Why wouldn’t Ricther want to use any of the existing structures he has? For instance he has a barracks in side the remains of his keep. How come none of his guards are living there? How come he didn’t make a jewelers room out of one of his empty storage rooms? One of the open court yards around his chapel would make a great villagers only market. There could be old shops a rooms around the court yards now. All Ricther did was take a glance out and pass on through.

8. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The training program is quite Spartan, though not bad. I expect this to be common throughout the tribes and kingdoms. Maybe Richter will introduce a similar program for the MV children.

Mister Bill likes this.
  9. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really, really doubt he’s gonna have a program where kids could die or get maimed.

10. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And that's how you make soft dwarves and other people's. Maybe his memories from the dwarf will shack him of that naivety.

PokemonThug likes this.
  11. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dude he is going to need a whole lot more shocks to get over that. He doesn’t really want to let adults in the dungeon. Ricther is NO where near that type of training as of yet.

Mister Bill likes this.
  12. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ya that is probably true.

13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't think most other races train their children the way dwarves do, some races like humans likely don't train most of their children for warfare at all.

If you trained human children the way they train dwarven children most of the human children would either be mentally damaged in some way or they would die. A four year old human would get slaughtered against multiple monsters, thereas the dwarf children slaughtered them.

Dwarves are extremely tough both physically and mentally compared to the other races in village, its part of their basic nature. We see it with the liberated slaves, there were 5 or so dwarven slaves and hundreds of slaves from other races, likely because most dwarves would truly rather die than surrender. Nearly a hundred elves.Those races have their own strengths, elves make for far more powerful mages and its been mentioned that magical affinity is more common amongst them.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    Mister Bill likes this.
  14. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That said, I assume most races have a training program covering at least part of the next generation.

I suspect Richter will need to branch his training program, make something suitable for the different racial strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    Mister Bill likes this.
  15. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    FOUR YEAR OLD!

o_O

Were those Dwarves Four Years old????

That’s mighty young.

Does that mean the human female that was a professional Minot was from a tougher villiage then the dwarves? She was the only one left from her group.

Mister Bill likes this.
  16. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The dwarf chiefs son was four years old. The other children were a couple years older, though given dwarven longevity they were probably not much further along in development than a human adolescent of 4-5 years.

They are a firetip mountain dwarf clan, and we know the firetip mountains is home to many clans of goblins, hobgoblins, orcs, and likely bugbears as well. Considering the combat art is designed partially to shatter earth demons, those definitely exist as well.

Long story short, its not a safe region and so the children of the elite are sent to train as granite breakers. Many are sent home because they lack the affinity for mace wielding or are found lacking in some way, but the survivors are pretty much all elite fighters. Its a requirement to hold leadership of the clan, hence the chief's son has to go.

Its a brutal path, but it forges leaders worthy of power and it prevents the wrong sort of people (aka the cowardly and the weak) from taking power.

The remaining dwarves presumably receive less intensive training, allowing them to become able warriors though they won't start on an elite path.

Mister Bill, Johan and ShoughtLoud like this.
  17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No it means she is further along than the average civilian dwarf, at least in personal level and crafting skill. Dwarves and other long-lived races have a much harder time raising their skill-levels.

Mister Bill likes this.
  18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Is this diversion?

The point I am trying to make has nothing to do with her skill level.

Your claim that there aren’t many Dwarves in captivity because they had rather fight to the death. Conveying the idea that they are all supper tough. Well what about her people? She was the only one captured alive from her people. Being the only one out of her expedition left does that not mean they are tougher or at the very least equal to the dwarves?

Mister Bill likes this.
  19. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Possibly. It could also mean that the goblins killed most of them during or after the raid. How did it go again, was she cut off from the rest off the group or was it group combat?

I'm not saying that other races don't fight back, just that dwarves seem to be less likely to be taken captive and that thus far the likely scenario is that few are willing to surrender even in the face of certain death. Might be courage, might be a deeper understanding of what it means to be taken captive by goblins, could even be that the survival rate for dwarves in goblin captivity is just lower. Alternatively dwarf captives may be held elsewhere.

Richter does remark on the astoundingly high number of elven captives.

20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also she was not taken from a village, she was captured in a mine out on the outskirts of the kingdom of Rione. I believe she was trapped down there, but I wouldn't bet on it.

So basically in a comparison between a trained human adventurer and a civilian dwarf the adventurer seems to be tougher.

Also not really deflection, more that I diden't really get where you were going with it. I thought you meant her skills being higher for some reason.

Mister Bill likes this.