Eagerly Awaiting Book 9 [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 4, 2020.

1. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So.

I've finished another read through in an attempt to satiate myself in my wait for book 9. It helped... Until I was done, then I was right back where I started. There have been updates to the kindle versions recently, a lot of them, to name one: a lot of prompts have the updated style, and some leveling ones even have the total points available style before Richter makes the realization in book 6 or 7 (and the lines of the realization are there still). So at a minimum there have at least been updates to the series and we aren't just sitting stagnant. All of the errors in book 8 are still there mind you, but 1-7 have recieved some much needed updates (the specialization table is finally readable! [with the smallest text size on the kindle mobile app (Android oneplus 5t) haven't tested other text sizes or platforms yet])

That being said, Imm'a need him to stick to his end of year hopeful for book 9 because even after another full read through, book 8 still felt like an extended interlude with a very brief intro to where the story is going next. Too much time sitting still, which, granted, was needed to set himself up for success I get, but there was also too much "and his so many points in intelligence raise his spell power by" and ish like that. It's book 8, mention it in a prologue, or index or something but shamelessly going for a word count is shameless.

Good book 1 in the next seven part saga, don't get me wrong. Great even. Just lacking in... Something. I think I've found the best equivalency to describe it. In actual book one he meets Xeutrix, gets some items, fights some things, gains a couple skills and meets the sprites. He then goes on to really progress. Fight some wolves, found a village, claim place of Power, get a seed core, get the first wave of villagers, fights the thieves guild, etc. In book 8, it feels like he just stops at meeting the sprites. He sees Xeutrix, kills some things, see Xeuty again, gains some extra powers ups but not really noticible until 25 days later, makes a few things, almost gets in the swing of things and meets the orcs, then hard stop. He's extra hungry and still has bowel movements.

Again not to say it wasn't satisfying in not only did we see him grow leaps and bounds and other directions he might have gone, but it was... Empty. It was like seeing a book full of sea of chaos prompts where we mightve had.. But no this awesome choice, or that shitty bit instead

To sum up... Richter's first chaotic vassal, what rank of chaotic alignment are we feeling? +2 like him? +3? +1 because f**k him and his doubled doubling?

Edit: And the perfect bonfire-side light beers or other drinks of choice to the rest of yous.

Also the eleventh page! Woot!

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  2. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I will have to take an actual reread soon.

I hope you are at a bonfire, it is the perfect weather for one.

The first Vassal will have +1 Chaos Alignment! I feel it on my bones, but maybe a vote is in order.

One of the things about book eight, if I were to review it, would be the tier two talent windows. The boarder are massive on mobile devices and makes it look terrible, and irritating. Hopefully he did apply that style to the older prompts.

3. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    well comma Bloodstone is completed/
    Litch is also done..
    Bugbear is in porogress

4. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Pretty sure he hasn't forgotten any storylines. Its a pile of spaghetti though.

S'ahelas likes this.
  5. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Plotlines might be the wrong word, but Richter has pages worth of unresolved sidequests and unfollowed clues at this point.

6. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    it might be time to update the quest list! i might be able to find the old list

7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Come with it :) We had a lot of progress in the last book.

Though sometimes good authors false flag or leave clues that aren't actually clues. The goblin in Law is one character that may have a much greater impact - assuming he is a chaos seed as seems pretty likely when you think about it - or nothing special at all.

Johan likes this.
  8. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I hadn't thought about him being a chaos seed. That might indeed explain what he is doing there. I wonder, if he is a chaos seed, if Richter could help him change his race to something a little more pleasant.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think he is one. There are three things that stand out to me.
    1) According to the locals he does not speak the language.
    2) He knows how to cook food humans, dwarves and elves enjoy.
    3) He is in the middle of Yves, a kingdom known for persecuting nonhumans. Goblins are likely kill-on-sight here, which means its a very dangerous situation for him.

Him being a good guy may or may not be a clue. There probably are goblins that control their inner bloodlust, sadism and desire to dominate, thereby raising in alignment (qualities/traits/questrewards).

10. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The struggle is real bro, we feel you, so very very very much :)

S'ahelas likes this.
  11. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Book 8 Monsters audible comes out on June 2nd, its the date said by AK in his fb feed.
    Gods Eye In July 1.5 mo later after audible.. So 2.5 months from now wtf.. we should start writing our books

Another problem is that AK mentioned that he "already has done some work on book 2 in Gods Eye series"..

My estimation is book 9 of MV will be released by my best estimate in late March of 2021..
    Even Though AK maybe hopes for late 2020..

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  12. S'ahelas

S'ahelas Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What's this about seven book arcs? I guess it could make sense: book one, meets Xeutrix, starts tier one, fighting isolated monsters individually is a challenge, has to work his way to gain place of power powers, local quests and issues, fights with more and more people in more and more complex battles, ends with fight against big bad. Book eight: meets Xeutrix again, tier two now, mastered level one place of power, again fighting isolated monsters, eyeing up issues that are now pertinent on a wider scale.

Would be cool, especially if when he gets back to MV Simon has finished some of those side quests. Still tho, Ritcher needs to do Kobolds and ancient dungeon, no one else will be able to do those I think. Do we have a list somewhere (could someone put the link if there is one) of all the quests he has? And another list of plots we know have to be resolved at some point, ex: the thief he requires a favor from, the vow he made for revenge, the castle on the map, the demon map fragment, etc. I do think these will all eventually become resolved. There is plenty of items and skills he gains that become useful books later, enough for me to trust he has the story well in hand and planed out.

I wonder if book eight was supposed to be the first half and he has most of the second half finished, however he decided it was taking too long and cut it off half way through. Even if he is a fast writer, publishing two audiobooks and starting another series and then writing book nine all within a year of book eight is pretty fast work. He could have pulled a Martin, and the first half happed to be lots of set up and the second half action (please be there more action book nine).

I am also super curious about Alma all of a sudden. She's a tiny dragon and is implied in epilog of eight that she could be killed by a single arrow. Arnt dragons big powerful beats with impenetrable natural armor? These books have inspired me to start D&D. However I'm a noob and know nothing of dragon mechanics. Does anyone have an idea of where she is headed?

13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I imagine Alma's growth cycle is based on this Dragon aging,
    with her currently being very young and dragonling being equivalent to wyrmling/Hatchling. We have a mention of the great wyrms of the deeps or something like that in book 7, so there are some indication that dragons eventually grow to great sizes. Of course a hundred feet seems a little small.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  14. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Most Dragons are Big, but it depends on their Sub Species, for instance Fairy Dragons and Proto Dragons a similar to Alma's Psi Drsgonling Species in being Tiny, other Dragons also very a lot in size. For instance Mist Dragons would have trouble carrying one large person in Heavy Armour and Weapons (plus equipment) at any speed or altitude for very long.

15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    we know Alma grew larger in chapter 8, I was sure it was stated that she had grown to become small or medium in the epilogue, but she actually carries a creature the size of a golden retriver (small or medium creature, likely a small creature) into the air and flies away with it easily, which means if they go by common rules she is +1 size to carry it, so medium or large.

16. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    She is said to be the size of a dog, instead of a cat as of book 8.

17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    LitRPG

An armored insect, the size of a golden retriever, was noisily consuming an elk.

She carries this critter away easily.

I also distinctly remember reading she is the size of a dog. But I can't find the quote, so it may have been retconned.

18. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't see it either, odd. Well it still says her wings are 5' tip to tip, which is what I would have thought it was in her Dragonling stage.

19. S'ahelas

S'ahelas Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Another question: how did the goblins know about that source of chaos in book six? Why did they know it was a powerful object?

what if there’s a chaos seed advising the goblins? One who is cautious sure, (Ritcher was stupid for rushing in to touch the chaotic shard despite the evidence of a super strong barrier capable of vaporizing anything) and didn’t realize the inherent immunity of chaos seeds to the chaos shield. Even if you use Ritchers transcend time aura as excuse for the many other unlikely events, the goblins at the MV with pixie staff, the new king of yves which provides instability to yves at the same time as the MVgrows, and the linch’s climax of power coinciding at the same time; why would the goblins suddenly stumble upon a chaotic particle in the land, a particle that could have existed there since the primordial times, at also the same time? I’m calling too much of a coincidence. There has to be more to that story.

20. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It was likely found during their expedition /invasion of the Forest of Nadria. That battle has been going on for some time before Richter got there, so it's not too unlikely that with goblin numbers they stumbled on the valley and by making it a base camp then found the under ground room with the big floaty uneasy feeling murder shielded orb.

Andrew Lynas likes this.