Eagerly Awaiting Book 9 [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 4, 2020.

1. TWW101

TWW101 Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Citizen

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In book 8 it said he saved a young scorpion in his bag of holding to dump in the well to be able to hunt more later.

I've been thinking about this too. It say a core token and the war leader. I believe this is implying there is only one available. I was first thinking this wouldn't have meant Richter since Yoshi should have been able to make a more powerful war party. Later though, I came up with the supposition that Yoshi might have been kicked out of the war party when he was thrown back into the dungeon because you can't be in a war party in the dungeon?

2. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]
    I think that was because of the saving the Dungeon.

3. Anthav

Anthav Level 6 (Footpad) Exiles Citizen

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah but Richter had his points capped for serving under Yoshi so I don't believe Yoshi was kicked out, plus if he just reformed his war party then it'd be him and Sion and Caulder and given the list of well over 10k dead that was given he'd probably have earned badges well above level IV. We'll see how it's handled whenever book 9 gets released though. If it is limited to one I hope he uses it on the cauldron as he doesn't have any idea how to level that up yet but at least he knows making masterwork items will get the forge up to level two, and it'd be a huge kick in the pants to him if it was used at the hearth tree before he gets back.

Mister Bill likes this.
  4. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Normally, yes, but he used his one time token to have the dungeon help him and fight for him. So, I think that’s the only day you could have war parties in there.

5. 2tymes

2tymes Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My hopes for Book 9 are:
    1: He makes it back to the village (and not at the end of the book)
    2. He finds Black Ice, the maulers body, and the litches body.
    3. Uses the core token
    4. The new villagers arrive (that’s probably a book 10 thing)
    5. And most important The Land is definitely one of, if not my favorite series. But starting with Book 7 (and I didn’t mind as much because book 7 was great) but Aleron became “over explanation man”. Book 8 the same just drowning in overly explaining shit. I like God’s Eye but I’m sensing a pattern of just too many pointless words. I don’t know if he wants the books to be bigger, or if he thinks he needs to spoon feed the readers, but I hope that the trend in the last 2 books don’t continue where 2 chapters are dedicated to explaining one mechanic, and wisdom

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  6. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

You mean like

Humans are prolific breeders..............

I love the points and totally agree. I would be glad if he finished two of the major quest. Instead I fear one finished and twenty started.

Mister Bill likes this.
  7. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Probably because people were hating how he kept leaving holes open, that people were like "why didn't he do this instead" or "how does that work? It wasn't explained well enough"

2tymes and Captain BlackJack like this.
  8. 2tymes

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I get it, but... To me it affects how I enjoy the books. Book 8 for example a lot of cool things happened, just surrounded by nothingness. No progression, just explanations. To me in the early books he did a better job of explaining in the meat of the story. In God’s Eye there was 15 chapters sitting in a tree explaining mechanics. And again I like the books but he needs to let the “how does that work” people use their imagination.

9. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Are you one of the "skip a couple months" people so that they get more story progression? Come back in a couple of years (couple books) and I will give you a summary, with lots of story progression. He writes it how he wants it, and if those people don't want all the explanations, they can skip it I suppose. Better to have Richter (and me) informed about the universe than always ignorant like he was for the first 6 books.

Though I do not like the new talent boxes, they piss me off, the boarders are too massive. And the explanations were not very good anyway, at least not as good as book 7. I have a hard time with book 8 part 1, I'm still waiting for 8 part 2. Should have ended it a little bit later, there wasn't enough progression even for me.

Legend-Dairy-Reader likes this.
  10. 2tymes

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Neither to be honest with you. I just want a good story. And I realize it may come off like I don’t like the books which is farrrrrr from the case I love them. I just think like with all things there needs to be balance. And in his last 2 books, book 8 and Gods Eye (to me) there has been too many moments of no progression to the story. I’ve reread all of the books but book 8 has no re read value because of lack of story. Just check the prompts for references to debate on here.

So I simply brought it up to say in book 9 one of my hopes is that it gets back to more of a story, characters, along with creating a world that allows us to debate rather than the encyclopedia moments.

And I disagree I’m the first six books we weren’t ignorant, things were explained along the way. And book 7 explained a lot but in the context of a story. Not just chapter long explanations. I think part of the draw is trying to figure the mechanics of the world and how and why things work.

11. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay I get you.

Yes book eight and God's Eye are not my favorites too. If we cut book 7 in 2 where the first one ends with the soul eater, and the second one ends where book eight ends, that would be fine with me. But book 8 was not enough be himself, like he cut it off early "no this will not be another book 7!" lol.

Edit: actually I don't know when it would be good to cut it. That is why I like reading forum books chapter by chapter. It has to be tough to figure out where to stop a book, when the next one continues right where the other left off...like on a forum posted book.

Mister Bill likes this.
  12. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Book 8 kinda seems like a prolonged epilogue to me, It sets up Richter with the basic tools he needs to survive, it has some nasty fights and it positions him to make the next major decisions. Its a pretty solid endpoint.

I like the book more now than I did the first time I read it. Even the whole dangler thing, Richter finally got the punishment he deserved for foolishly doing shit without asking first. And don't tell me he diden't have plenty of time to learn about cooking with magic

I don't know, might be better to call it book 7,5,

Mister Bill, TWW101 and Johan like this.
  13. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ya 7.5 or prolog is correct, but 7 is massive...or just big enough. We know he cut that one off early, so you are probably correct.

Should have cut it off with Alma yelling "Master!!" lol.

I swear he was roasting that one claw for a long time. Just use grease under it and set that on fire.

14. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't mind the explanations, but when he explains things that he has already explained I want to shred something. That was a big problem for me in book 8. The "well what if someone picks up this book and needs help understanding what's going on?". Just f**cking trust them to read the cover where it says BOOK 8 in the series, and follow a 1 dimensional thought process of "this was probably explained in an earlier book". GAAH

15. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Completely agree with you about this. Send an email to Aleron with this copy and pasted.

16. 2tymes

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Preach!!!

17. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There seems to be some connection here with his chaotic aura that he realized, and not actually spirit magic. But the spirit magic high made him aware of it.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  18. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I reread it after coming back to the forum here. I liked it better probably because I had gigantic expectations for it when it was released.

Just like I was hoping his next book would be released last month, haha.

I laughed at the dangler chapter the first time it was posted but skipped over it and a lot else on the second read.

19. 2tymes

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Is richter going to come home to a battle? We know the big bears are in the area and that they have the mist salve. Undoubtedly they had the drop on Alma. I’m wondering how his blood oath is going to affect the battle or aftermath. Because who exactly does he have to kill to fulfill it. Is one battle enough? The bug bear king gotta die?

Also with him being Tied 2 now how does that affect leveling in his village. Hasn’t been (to our knowledge) too much tier 2 beings around.

Mister Bill likes this.
  20. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well tier 2 beings probably get less exp for killing tier 1 beings than they would otherwise, so that should slow Richter down a little. But with Alma's exp steal ability, he can still advance pretty rapidly.

As for the battle with the bugbears, I think there are two ways it can go.

1) Sion and the others handle it and Richter returns in the aftermath
    2) Richter returns on the eve of battle

As for a bugbear king, I think its exceedingly unlikely the village has the power to go on the offensive on their own let alone hit their homelands. They need allies, at the very least the armies of the wood elves and the sprites. Richter's forces would likely attach themselves to HM's.

Mister Bill likes this.