Favorite Classes

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by RauthrMystic, Aug 24, 2018.

1. RauthrMystic

RauthrMystic Elf Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Look at this neat thing I found when I researching stats/attributes! I can't promise it's an exhaustive list nor that it's 100% accurate but I thought it was a neat way to show the various classes in a classic sort of way! what do you think? Do you have a favorite class? would you make this 'chart' different? is the 'fighter,mage,rogue' too limiting?

[​IMG]

2. RauthrMystic

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Heres another one that breaks them up a bit differently

[​IMG]

3. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    These are pretty cool.

Personally I've always been an archer/ranger fan, followed by druid types. I'm just a fan of animal companions, I think?

Viergacht, RauthrMystic and Windfall like this.
  4. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't like necromancers/dark magic types, and I'm a bit lukewarm about summoning types (so you summon the thingy and then... let it die?)

The rest I can definitely get behind, but usually I'd like some coherence. If the MC is damage-heavy, they shouldn't be able to heal, etc. If they're a spellsword kind of fighter, their 'magic' shouldn't be too powerful, so they can maybe have a medium-powered magic shield, some 'distracting' magic like little fireballs, or some 'illusion' magic, but rely mostly on using their sword to deal damage. Or, if they're a magic-heavy spellsword, they shouldn't be too good at close-ranged combat, especially against an all-melee fighter. And if someone's coming after them with an axe, they'd rather be scrambling out of the way as fast as possible since they shouldn't be able to directly handle that kind of brute force damage.

That said... I seem to have a personal soft spot for paladins. I love how they're self-righteous and a bit infuriatingly clueless at times... and, well, holy magic. :D

RauthrMystic likes this.
  5. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like animal companions, too, but most of the time I'm just stressed out they're going to die. (Like, it's one of my recurring nightmares that I'm responsible for the death of my pet -- and I don't even have one at the moment)

RauthrMystic and Jay like this.
  6. Simon Fiasco

Simon Fiasco Bringer of the Avocadopocalypse LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I tend to play archers in games, but I'm also a fan of the idea behind Paladins. Unfortunately, most games don't do them justice. (See what I did there?)

dag0net, RauthrMystic and Jay like this.
  7. RauthrMystic

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Druid always interested me but they always seem to go the "animal shifter" route instead of master of nature. When I play ElderScrolls I tend to play sneaky rogue esque characters with some magic talents. ...I just realized that ElderScrolls really don't have druids and rangers really. Their system doesn't allow for things like nature checks and tracking.

8. RauthrMystic

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I could never get behind Paladins. It's that Lawful alignment that gets to me. I'm more "personal freedom" sort of girl. I get what your saying about the other classes though. Necromancers seem to be popular in LitRPG. Atleast from what I've read. Ive never been a big fan either. They always make the Nec evil or evil-like. it seems ...trite.

9. RauthrMystic

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    oh Simon your so punny!
    I like magic. So if the class has magic I'm going to be interested at the very least. I'd like to see a really good Sorcerer.

10. RauthrMystic

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like the idea of an animal companion. I prefer to have a familiar that I can 'hide' from danger.

11. Simon Fiasco

Simon Fiasco Bringer of the Avocadopocalypse LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Mages of various stripes can be fun, as long as they're not glass cannons right from the start. I prefer my animal companions big and cuddly - er, I mean vicious, though.

Viergacht, Windfall and RauthrMystic like this.
  12. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Funny, I prefer the Rogues but I always wind up going for Mages, particularly battlemages.

RauthrMystic likes this.
  13. RauthrMystic

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Cuddly and vicious ? how very manly.

14. Jun

Jun Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Citizen

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Personally, for any game that has an emotional story component that extends beyond pixel bashing, I hate class systems. They are unrealistic IMO... It's like... if you pray well enough to have your prayers answered, you can't possibly learn a skill like lock picking or or study the arcane.

That said, using classes as a general guide to play style (and main characters in books), I prefer the melee types with some supernatural component. Paladins are can fun, something along the line of death knights have the potential to be interesting... It really depends on what the author/GM does to make the supernatural elements of the class come alive.

In straight up role play games that don't necessarily have to focus on combat, I like scholars.

dag0net, Jay and RauthrMystic like this.
  15. Simon Fiasco

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    While I'm not a big fan of class systems - I gave up on D&D a long time ago - they provide structure and niche protection, which is nice from a group standpoint.

Also, that's what multi-classing is for. Learning things not normally in your wheelhouse.

RauthrMystic likes this.
  16. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It really depends on what sort of mood I'm in. I tend to like playing rogues who are sort of Clint Eastwood characters, quiet, keep to themselves, don't start fights but end them . . . watched too many Westerns as a kid, I guess. But sometimes there's just a ton of joy in playing a big dumb orc or minotaur that likes to smash things. Playing a barbarian in a goofier game is fun. Also I like this type of character who has a not very well hidden soft spot for like, stray kittens or something. Playing a spellcaster can be good times but I tend to overthink how the magic works and that slows the game down.

RauthrMystic likes this.
  17. RauthrMystic

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Magic is always the answer! well that and dragons.

I like the concept of classes in that it gives a group of similar people a united feel. Multiclassing could be an answer or less structured classes. I'm don't have a whole lot of d&d experience (oh yes!) however my gm acctually sat each of us down and said "okay, what kind of character do you want to play?" and we built a character around that concept. He even created a prestige class it was awesome!

LeeGreg and Jay like this.
  18. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree in a lot of ways. It makes zero sense you can't learn, say, lockpicking as a warrior or even a priest if the opportunity presents. I always took some class restrictions as "you're not likely to know those so it's not really offered" or "the kind of people that know this wouldn't teach you for xyz". Also, depending on the setting, learning magic might not be possible for everyone if it requires being talented/inclined a certain way, as in not everyone has access to the ability to manipulate magic. I could see priest/god-related abilities being restricted because, in order to have the god respond, you might have to be one of their chosen or dedicated to them in a certain way. There are some ways to sort of logic out some restrictions, I think.

That said, I actually really like systems with very simple "starting classes", such as, say, Dragon Age. There are only three types to start. There's 'run up and hit it' (Warrior), 'Be more subtle, but still hit it' (Rogue), and 'I'm gonna blow shit up' (Mage). However, you can decide how to tweak that class to what you want. A Rogue can end up a Ranger, an Archer, a Thief, a Scout, etc. Mages have a dozen or more schools so they can be Necromancers, Healers, Priests, Arcane Wizards, just whatever you want. And nothing stops you from picking up skills from all over those trees as you want most of the time.

It's a very nice customizable system that gives the player a lot of freedom to do as they like, I think, while not falling into the Skyrim trap of being the super Gary/Mary Stu/Sue character that's literally everything to everyone at all times. Which, I will admit, can be fun to play sometimes, but also is boring in some ways because then why would you bother with any other character? There's literally never a reason to have more than one character since one character can do everything. In Dragon Age and similar games, each time you choose a different class and race, you get a different experience, which I personally find a ton of fun.

19. dag0net

dag0net Level 5 (Veteran) Citizen

90%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In real warfare the aim has always been to encourage your own people to go and fight for you against other people, preferably without your own people dying, so that you can encourage them to do it again, or do something else after. This is why pet classes/necro's are the only classes for sane peeps.

re: Paladins - only when they can self-heal, some rulesets disallow lay on hands and such-like on themselves, which r teh sux.

20. A J Bishop

A J Bishop Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen Aspiring Writer

58%
    xp:
    Zone:
    London UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd recommend looking up the classes used in/for the Overlord light novel and mange. The list is pretty exhaustive though I think some are different flavors of the same job class. Hell even a wiki search for that thing can produce a VERY long list of the jobs mentioned.

As for my personal classes it depends on the game.

Normally I always go for Paladin. Some heals/cleansing as well as holy attacks and some are more like the crusader from the Ragnarok anime/game where they take damage for the party.

That said i also love playing a duelist/red mage type. Rapier in hand and looking suave and being able to ether picklocks or cast spells of healing/damage just calls out to me.

Though for my fantasy book project i'm actually playing with an Inquisitor class.