Favourite anime character!

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga, Light Novels' started by Readsalot, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nausicaa of the valley of the wind.

this movie was my favorite growing up, for one thing the hero is a girl that actually does something! not the be pretty and cute crap or the uber girly stuff the other girl shows were in the 80's but actually stands up and fights for her people. Also the whole movie was just so creative! till this day I think it's one of Miyazaki's more under-rated works

[​IMG]

Second favorate is actually a new addition, I haven't been into anime since the early 2000's but every now and then a little show would grab my interest.

Maou-sama (Sadao Maou) is a demon king that fled to the human world and currently is flipping burgers in Mac Donald. he lives on the edge of poverty but finds that he likes this simple life, nobody prosecuting him for being born a demon, no heroes or chosen ones and whatever money he has was earned. He's a bit silly most times but when push comes to shove he SHOVES. He's very protective of his friends (arch demons like Lucifer) and takes responsibility for their mistakes like a leader. The anime was only 12 episodes but it was packed with feelings that I followed the manga once it ended.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  2. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Devil is a Part-Timer was a lot of fun to watch. If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend Demon King Daimao (Ichiban Ushiro no Dai Maō) as well.

"Dreaming of changing the world for good, Akuto Sai transfers to Constant Magic Academy where he befriends a virtuous ninja clan member, Junko Hattori. On the way to the academy, they vow to make the world a better place together; however, the situation suddenly takes a turn for the worse upon his arrival—it is prophesied that he will become the Demon King!"

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    oddly enough I've seen that one, probably trying to find more of the Devil's a part timer XD
    I remember it being a pale imitation though, the main character was too stiff and it turned into a harem anime quickly. don't think I've seen the full thing though.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  4. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You say 'harem anime' like it's a bad thing.

:p

5. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm a female so yes it's a boring thing. reverse harem however... well you'll have my attention then ;)

Readsalot likes this.
  6. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I actually like harem anime. Reverse harem not so much though. Probably because the whole reason I enjoy harem anime is because I can shut my brain off and enjoy the silly little sight gags and genre tropes.

You might enjoy Maoyū, @Kidlike101. Either that or, I Couldn't Become A Hero so I Reluctantly Decided to Get A Job. I couldn't become a hero has a lot in common with part-timer, actually.

Edit to add: I know plenty of women who enjoy harem anime. The secret is to not be so hung up on gender and just enjoy the silliness and awkward situations, I think.

7. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    you can like whatever you want, I think I know that anime in it's JPN name... it was horrible, they ripped off part-timer and just used the girls as an excuse for heavy handed fan service. yuck.

As for Harem anime, to each their own. I don't care for harem or even reverse harem, the main charater is always bland as toast and the girls around him a walking stereotype in hopes you'd find one as your fav. and cheer for her. in the end the main character picks nobody so as not to anger the fans OR the obvious one (always the one acting like the first wife) will get some favorism while the others mob him.

Oddly enough I don't even mind all that, it's more of the "why is someone so hot or so full of character glued to blande mc bland bland?" the show never, EVER gives you a good reason. he does something meh and all the girls wet themselves, please.

8. Stevie Collier

Stevie Collier Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  9. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Heh, that's what I like about them though - the comedy that comes from an absolutely clueless MC. It's also fun to argue about which member of the harem wins the best girl award.

But there's also the other kind of MC, where he's not as bland as milk toast. Take Sekirei and Heaven's Lost Property, for examples. Heaven's Lost Property in particular starts out as a nice lighthearted romp full of fun and games but gets incredibly dark. On the borderline ecchi/hentai scale, there's always Testament of Sister New Devil and So I Can't Play H.

Or if you loosen the requirements for being called a harem anime, Desert Punk has a pretty memorable and personality-filled MC.

10. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have no idea what any of those are XD

I watch maybe one or two animes per year tops, it's just... the whole thing de-evolved over time to exploitation of base desires (sex, violence. artificial cuteness... all three for shock value)

When I watch a show (any!) it's for one of two reasons.

1. the characters are interesting and I want to see more of them (Part-timer, konosuba)
    2. The show is creative and has an interesting and unusual plotline (Overlord)

3. (hidden) it makes me laugh, I can forgive anything for a good chuckle.

11. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nah. Anime hasn't devolved, it's just become an export. Japan being Japan, they export the equivalent of mass produced shovelware because they know the audience over here will eat it up and ask for more, in the hopes that by demonstrating the size of the audience will attract higher quality anime.

Even so, there's a bunch of gems that get exported with the dross. Just takes a willingness to look for them is all.

12. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'll just stick to Rick and Morty then.

[​IMG]

13. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Finding good anime is not that difficult. The main thing is, like with Western TV series, you must decide what your tastes are. For instance, I prefer action and humour, so while I understand why an anime like Death Note is so highly rated, I prefer something more light-hearted.

14. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Chihiro from Spirited Away, Vampire Hunter D, pretty much the whole cast of Dragon Half.

15. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    See I think "good enough" and good aren't really the same, there are lots of okay Animes that will make me laugh once, but rewatchable stuff is rare. I have no desire to rewatch Fruits Basket or that Spice & Wolf one even though I liked both, but I rewatch Full Metal Panic in a binge sitting once every couple of years. Part of me would like to rewatch Inu Yasha or Ranma 1/2 but I know I'd be zoning out and thinking about anything but what I was watching, because those old animes are way closer to Dragon Quest and Dragon Ball Z than this high quality good-enough stuff that keeps coming out.

Fairy Tail + Boku no Hero Academia (or however those two are spelled) are two series I'm going to hope finish up before I die, and then I'll watch them all... and the stuff like Aldanoah Zero
    [​IMG]
    and Overlord that get some hype.
    [​IMG]

I'll watch those just because there is a chance they won't last for 7+ years. Anime/Manga/Lightnovels are like those mouse experiments where the mouse could hit a button and get doped up, people just keep hitting the button even when on a week by week basis a show can be totally meh.

16. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd totally recommend overlord. it's very different and it kindda hurts that there was only one season of it.

I didn't keep going with the manga though I heard the light novel was pretty good.

17. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Teddy Bear is a supporting antagonist in Akira. He appears in the hospital where tetsuo is taken for subjects. Tetsuo freaks out in his room as the stuffed animals in his bed come to life. The music is a creepy chorus of midgets chanting some weird song from a tin can, while the animals walk around, start growing, and drip milky pus from their bodies.

http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/Bear_(Akira)

Akira-1988-00-48-20.jpg

Viergacht likes this.
  18. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's why I said "good' and not "good enough". I don't define good = rewatchable. Some anime are rewatchable and some are not, but that is not synonymous to rewatchable, imo. Same with TV series (or books). For instance, I love Banshee and Vikings, but feel no urge to watch them again. I also love The Newsroom and West Wing and rate them just as high. Them I have watched again (and enjoyed).

There are thousands of anime, catering for every taste and age under the sun. Browsing through the Top Anime on MAL you will note that the Top 15 have an approval rating of +90%, The Top 100 starts at 85% and the Top 500 are all above 80%. So they can presumably all be considered good, going up to great and fantastic.

Most of the anime I try have a fairly high approval rating on MAL, at least 70% and usually quite a bit higher. That still leave me thousands to choose from. That's why I have come to the conclusion that knowing your tastes are so important when selecting an anime to watch, especially for someone who only watch a few anime per year, like Kidlike101 above. Gradually, when you have watched enough of them to form a basis for comparison, you'll be able to tell fairly early in a series whether you'll enjoy it or not.

As for long animes like Fairy Tail, they don't really bother me, because you can watch an arc and then stop and come back later.

19. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Supposedly and I don't have a link there is going to be more Overlord, the Light novels, translated to English, are just now getting to the story arcs past where season one ended.

20. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Is that confirmed though? a lot of fan favorites get gaslighted with a second season promise but nothing comes of it, there was a post a few months back regrading part-timer "possibly" getting a second season on crunchy roll but it was just there to promote a new audio cd or something.