WIP Forever Fantasy Online series

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by TravisBach, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Getting a copy now. I hope it hits the very low triple digit rankings. Happy Walpurgisnacht!

TravisBach likes this.
  2. Ian Mitchell

Ian Mitchell Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Listening to the audiobook now. :) First post in ages. Plugged the book in LitRPG Books.

3. TravisBach

TravisBach Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks, I feel honored. ^_^

4. TravisBach

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks so much!

5. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    #1 in children's books... yeah... children books...

6. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Please bless me with your success energy. I'd love to have a book hit the triple-digit ranks, holy crap.

7. Ian Mitchell

Ian Mitchell Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Come by and say hi over in LitRPG Books on FB, or the LitRPG Forum or GameLit Society. I think there are quite a few Heartstrikers fans there :)

fwiw, since I read so much. it took me a little while catching on to what was going on at the beginning of the audiobook. I picked up on it eventually. Reading a book a day tends to make them a bit fuzzy after a while. (Listened to the Heartstrikers audiobooks enough time those are pretty well embedded).

TravisBach and Yuli Ban like this.
  8. TravisBach

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Rachel insisted on the YA BISACS

9. TravisBach

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Be blessed!

Also, thanks! What you are seeing is the power of Rachel Aaron really though. I am just riding on her shoulders here.

10. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Congrats none the less, just I don't see it as a children's book lol.

11. TravisBach

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Niether do I. But much of the cast are of ages that border the upper end of YA (19ish), so I see the logic.

Often the age of the protag is the #1 determining factor for whether a book shoild be YA or not. Its certainly not content cause there are loads of bloody, dark, and/or raunchy YAs out there.

I wish we used movie ratings instead. Cause FFO would def be rated R.

12. TravisBach

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Moved from GA to CO, still managed to get FFO3's first draft finished. Now I have to pray I can rush* it through the edits in time to enter post-production in August. Otherwise, it's not coming out this year. (Cause I don't do December releases).
    *If it's not good enough after the first round of edits then it's gonna be a 2020 release.

I am proud of FFO2 so far. It has a 4.9 rating (!) and has made a tidy profit. People who liked book 1 apparently really love book 2.

13. Ian Mitchell

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I did the audiobook of ffo2. excellent. yeah, no sense rushing the editing - skimping there can take an awesome book down to an ok book.
    (I just ran into that on a book I read last night).

TravisBach likes this.
  14. TravisBach

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

I hear ya. I say rushing, but that's not really the right term. Normally, I'd clean up the book for 6-8 weeks before Rachel takes a look at it and gives me her editorial letter. Then I'd do another 6-8 weeks of edits integration and prose improvements. FFO has been my apprenticeship series under her so it's our normal process + learning phases for me.

This time, we're skipping cleanup and I'm not spending tons of time on polishing my prose. That'll save about 3 months. She's reading the rough draft, then I'll get editorial from her, integrate it, and pass it all back to her for the finishing work. I will learn fewer lessons this way, but the final quality shouldn't be affected. We are still fixing story issues and Rachel will still be bringing the book/prose up to her amazing level.

Thankfully, there's less need for those learning phases now. Not saying I don't have a lot to learn still, but at least my writing has leveled up since starting the FFO series. I mean, FFO3's rough draft is as well-written as the polished version of FFO2 that I first gave Rachel to read.

15. Ian Mitchell

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I do very much love her writing. Her most recent one is one the few 4 stars I've given recently. From what I've seen writers do improve and the early/first drafts start looking more like later drafts as they go.

16. TravisBach

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'll tell Rachel you said so. It'll make her smile. ^_^

Veteran author skills are no joke. I'm in the trenches as Rachel's main content editor, so I get to see the difference in our skills. Her first drafts are so good that I dream of one day writing a finished book anywhere close to the same level. It's basically finished NY-level prose right out of the gate. (even her cuts are amazing)

17. Ian Mitchell

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Travis - most of mine are 5 stars. I docked her a star for the abrupt ending. The rest of the story was amazing like usual. having almost no denouement really threw me. So that was the first 4 star instead of 5 stars for me on her books(i have to go back and rate some of them since I mostly listened to the heartstrikers on audible).

Yuli Ban likes this.
  18. TravisBach

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    4-stars is still great. Thanks!

19. Ian Mitchell

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    very welcome! For last 2 years I have been trying to review every book I finish. just wrote review #684 :)

Yuli Ban and TravisBach like this.
  20. TravisBach

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You sir, are fantastic!

Yuli Ban and Ian Mitchell like this.